• filter:

Barclay arrival plus credit card bonus

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have earned the bonus of 50k =$500 and have  2 separate travel charges of $781 and $125 against which I can redeem the bonus. I was hoping to get some guidance on which charges should I  redeem first : 781 or 125 as I believe I get 5% extra for redemption travel which I can use towards the second redemption. My thinking is to redeem the higher value first but I hope someone with more experience can share their input. Thank you.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
remember the min redemption is $100 (10,000 points).
If you can redeem 40,000 against the 781, then you'll have 12,000 points left, redeem that against the 125, and you'll be left with like . . .. 600 points right?
If I were closing the card next week, that's how I'd do it.

rated:
Thank you. Appreciate your detailed and helpful response.

rated:
Let x be the number of points you should redeem.
Your aim is to be left be 10000 points after the first redemption.
(Don't forget the 5% bonus)

So 50000 - x + 0.05 x = 10000
Solving for x gives you 42,105 points for first redemption and 10,000 for the second redemption.
A total value of $521.05

You technically should have at least 56k points because the bonus was 50k and then you should have earned at least 6k by meeting the spend.
Substitute the correct point count in the above equation.

rated:
can you use bonus points as cash or statement credit

rated:
funnybone76 said:   can you use bonus points as cash or statement credit
  for half as much value. gets 2x for travel reimbursement

rated:
Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. In reality they give you only  3 fixed $ options to redeem.
Here is how it worked out. My points balance was 56030. I tried redeeming the higher amount 781 and it was allowing me 3 options : 550, 525, 500. Leaving me a balance that I would not be able to use on the next one. I finally used the 124.31 and it allowed me to use 12431 points + 5% = 44221 balance. But now it is not allowing me to use 442 but only 425, 400, 375.which leaves me a balance of 3846 with 5%. Making a profit of 549.31 as opposed to 550 had I just applied the 550 on the 781 expense. Hope this helps.

rated:
This is much harder than it should be.

rated:
rachnamoore said:   Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. In reality they give you only  3 fixed $ options to redeem.
Here is how it worked out. My points balance was 56030. I tried redeeming the higher amount 781 and it was allowing me 3 options : 550, 525, 500. Leaving me a balance that I would not be able to use on the next one. I finally used the 124.31 and it allowed me to use 12431 points + 5% = 44221 balance. But now it is not allowing me to use 442 but only 425, 400, 375.which leaves me a balance of 3846 with 5%. Making a profit of 549.31 as opposed to 550 had I just applied the 550 on the 781 expense. Hope this helps.

Just another way companies sometimes go out of their way to prevent redemption.

rated:
They're really just going out of their way to prevent max redemption for people who sign up for the bonus and then stop using the card. Or to put it another way, they are incentivizing your continued use of the card. I signed up for this card for the bonus several years ago before I had a citi double cash card, so this was my go-to 2% back card for over a year. I put everything on it and had no problem getting my money's worth for the travel redemptions since I took several trips and paid with this card. It's only at the very end where you want to close out your point balance that you have to figure out the best way to maximize your redemption.

rated:
BrianGa said:   This is much harder than it should be.

It's easy to just get cash back, to get the travel bonus takes a little thinking.  That's why we're here though, and not on Bestbuy.com

rated:
imbatman said:   
funnybone76 said:   can you use bonus points as cash or statement credit
  for half as much value. gets 2x for travel reimbursement

so 50K points can get you $250 cash/statement credit?

rated:
Say, I bought travel tickets in my first month to meet the $3000 requirements, paid that balance in the second month to avoid paying interest.
After 3rd month I got that bonus and I have some new non-travel balance...
Can I redeem that bonus against travel that was already paid with money?
How that work?

rated:
Yes, you can redeem for purchases already made within 120 days (pl. Check days in your agreement)

rated:
You get the bonus credited immediately after crossing the required threshold. You don't need to have a balance. You can also use the bonus to redeem against 3k in the same month. I think 3k is the required amount to earn the bonus.

rated:
komber. I think that should work.  I'd make sure not to pay off the last remaining balance (the non-travel purchases) before you try it, so you don't end up with a credit - might cause this 'trick' to not work.

rated:
Like I said earlier, you have a window to redeem 120 days after the travel purchase. If statement already paid, you will have a credit balance that you can request bank to send you a check or use it towards any future spending on the card.

Redeem your miles for travel statement credits starting at 10,000 miles for $100 toward all or a portion of your travel purchases of $100 or more made within the past 120 days.
3 Redeeming Miles: You can redeem your miles for travel and cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Travel statement credit redemptions start at 10,000 miles for $100 toward a qualifying travel purchase of $100 or more made within the last 120 days. Cash back statement credit and gift card redemptions start at 5,000 miles for $25. Merchandise redemption values vary based on what you are redeeming for. A travel redemption is defined as: airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, purchase and travel agencies, discount travel sites, trains, buses, taxis, limousines, and ferries as defined by the merchant category code. Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these terms or that use incorrect merchant category codes will not qualify. Barclaycard is not responsible for incorrectly coded purchases. Please note, some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, websites or owners that rent properties, in-flight goods and services, merchants within airports, and merchants that rent trailers, trucks, and other vehicles for the purpose of hauling. You can log on to our website BarclaycardUS.com, to review redemption options and/or to redeem your miles. Select Rewards & Benefits from the Account Summary page and follow the online instructions. See Terms & Conditions for other important miles rewards program information.

rated:
Got this card just for the bonus. We're making a $4,000 furniture purchase. Is it worth it to put all $4,000 on this card or should we only put $3,000 on this and the other $1,000 on a daily spender?

rated:
That depends. Compare the points you get by spending the extra 1000 on Barclays vs your regular spender card. Also please remember Barclays bonus works well on travel related expenses... airfare, car rental, etc. Hope this helps. 

rated:
holicow said:   Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. In reality they give you only  3 fixed $ options to redeem.

Just as a data point that might help someone considering point redemption, I was able to redeem for travel for an exact dollar amount: $ 384.68 In other words one of the options given was the exact dollar amount and not just in $25 increments like $350.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017