• filter:

Are dates to mail estimated taxes, form 1040 and extension to file, extended to the 18th?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Just confirming if this is true.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Yes.
Happy Emancipation Day Weekend.

rated:
Cool. And you don't have to file an extension Form 4868 if you make a payment using IRS electronic payment options.

rated:
So, I have a question. Say someone needs to file their 2013 return for a small refund and the cutoff date is today. Normally, it can be mailed today and it counts. But, what if say that person printed out a priority mail label, but for some reason the post office doesn't scan it until Tuesday when they reopen after the holiday. Would it count as today or as Tuesday? I know the post office doesn't normally stamp priority mail. Asking for a friend, of course

rated:
skwiggey said:   So, I have a question. Say someone needs to file their 2013 return for a small refund and the cutoff date is today. Normally, it can be mailed today and it counts. But, what if say that person printed out a priority mail label, but for some reason the post office doesn't scan it until Tuesday when they reopen after the holiday. Would it count as today or as Tuesday? I know the post office doesn't normally stamp priority mail. Asking for a friend, of course

I don't feel so bad about procrastinating my 2015 return now

Remember fellow procrastinator/extenders  have to contribute to IRAs by 4/18.. Any other must dos? 

rated:
skwiggey said:   So, I have a question. Say someone needs to file their 2013 return for a small refund and the cutoff date is today. Normally, it can be mailed today and it counts. But, what if say that person printed out a priority mail label, but for some reason the post office doesn't scan it until Tuesday when they reopen after the holiday. Would it count as today or as Tuesday? I know the post office doesn't normally stamp priority mail. Asking for a friend, of course

When they scan it. Do you live in DC? If not, it'd be scanned on Monday. Even if it's scanned on Tuesday, that counts, because that's the deadline. Cutting it awfully close there...

rated:
doveroftke said:   

When they scan it. Do you live in DC? If not, it'd be scanned on Monday. Even if it's scanned on Tuesday, that counts, because that's the deadline. Cutting it awfully close there...

For late 2013 ones, my understanding that the 15th is the deadline. Yeah, my friend is a terrible procrastinator! :O 

rated:

rated:
skwiggey said:     For late 2013 ones, my understanding that the 15th is the deadline. . . .
  unless his IRS transcript shows that he filed the extension 2013 Form 4868 by April 15, 2014 with a payment  --  in which case I think he would have until October 15, 2017 to claim his refund.

rated:
  Why risk doing something weird? Go to the post office on Monday, get a stamped certified receipt.

rated:
skwiggey said:   
doveroftke said:   

For late 2013 ones, my understanding that the 15th is the deadline. Yeah, my friend is a terrible procrastinator! :O 

Oh, hadn't considered the different deadlines for past years. The more you know...

rated:
Yep. A few more days of relief.

rated:
doveroftke said:   
skwiggey said:   
doveroftke said:   

Oh, hadn't considered the different deadlines for past years. The more you know...

If you are close to the deadline for getting an old refund, the IRS will claim that you were late unless you use certified mail (I think priority express counts as certified, but I'm not sure).

rated:
doveroftke said:   
skwiggey said:   
doveroftke said:   

Even if April 15, 2017 is the deadline to file (taking your word here), because it lands on a Saturday it's extended until the next day that isn't a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017