Autorenewal and liability question

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If I use a Virtual credit card number (say valid for 1 month) to sign up for something that has auto-renewal subscription/membership, What will happen when the membership auto-renews next year and gets declined due to invalid CC?

Will there be any liability/Credit report/Collections impacts on me? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Depends on the terms of the contract you sign. If you're required to provide notice to terminate, then they'll likely just bill you through the mail and send you to collections if you refuse to pay.

Then your membership doesn't get renewed.

use a prepaid and fake name

qcumber98 said:   Then your membership doesn't get renewed.
  I'm ok with this. 

rufflesinc said:   use a prepaid and fake name
  Whats the best way (little or no fees) to buy a prepaid card? 

American express usually offers card with no fees if you have an Amex card.

What are you signing up for? And why don't you cancel?

quizzer25 said:   
rufflesinc said:   use a prepaid and fake name
  Whats the best way (little or no fees) to buy a prepaid card? 

Some AAA offices sell no-fee Visa gift cards.

ellory said:   What are you signing up for? And why don't you cancel?
  One year chess membership. 

ellory said:   What are you signing up for? And why don't you cancel?
  Exactly. Depends on the language of the agreement.
For example, if this is some kind of gym membership that auto renews unless you cancel in writing (or that is what you agree to in the initial sign-up), the CC being declined during auto renewal does not stop the gym from trying to collect from you the fee.

fwuser12 said:   

For example, if this is some kind of gym membership that auto renews unless you cancel in writing

OP said: One year chess membership. 

To answer your question without even knowing the details.... Yes... Yes you will be liable.

If you're talking about the likes of things like Gym monthly fee's, they will make you sign a contract that says you're liable no matter what. The fact that they couldn't charge you doesn't negate you owing it as well as a potential fee on top of it.

Not worth the risk IMO if there is a proper way to cancel.

EDIT: Someone already beat me to it as far as gym memberships

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017