Medical Debt Agencies Aggressively Go After Debts That Aren't Owed

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Per†this story, almost 2/3 of the cases, the amounts are not owed.

http://ospirg.org/reports/orp/medical-debt-malpractice

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The story is based on what consumers claim. The same 2/3 of consumers likely believe that [insurance, their employer, the government, anyone but themselves] should pay for all of their medical expenses.

OP, your wording is not correct. The consumers are "asserting" it is not owed. That doesn't mean they're right. Anyone can "assert" something simply by saying it-no proof required. Of course, anyone complaining about the debt believes they don't owe it. Otherwise, why would they complain?
For example, a consumer may believe that they don;t owe $10K in hospital bills because the doctor did a bad job/didn't diagnose correctly whatever. That doesn't give them the legal right to refuse payment, though, unless they win in court.

A less biased article would have looked at how many consumers were hounded by debt companies, even when they could prove that they didn't owe the debt. Without that info, the article isn't very useful.

canoeguy1 said:   OP, your wording is not correct. The consumers are "asserting" it is not owed. That doesn't mean they're right. Anyone can "assert" something simply by saying it-no proof required. Of course, anyone complaining about the debt believes they don't owe it. Otherwise, why would they complain?
For example, a consumer may believe that they don;t owe $10K in hospital bills because the doctor did a bad job/didn't diagnose correctly whatever. That doesn't give them the legal right to refuse payment, though, unless they win in court.

A less biased article would have looked at how many consumers were hounded by debt companies, even when they could prove that they didn't owe the debt. Without that info, the article isn't very useful.

††You are right. They did assert. The†complaints also included amounts that were "already paid or discharged in bankruptcy, or it was not verified as the consumerís debt.'.

I disagree with you claiming the story is biased. It is a report about medical debt collection complaints. The article also serves as a warning in case Federal policymakers†try to weaken the CFPB. The†report mentions that nearly 1 in 8 people will be contacted about medical debt in 2017.

eeks, USPIRG... not a source I would trust.

The story actually says that 2/3 of complaints to the CFPB claim that they didn't owe the amounts. That does not mean that 2/3 of people didn't owe money, since not everyone complains to the CFPB.

Also if 1 in 8 people are contacted about medical debut and there are only 17,701 complaints then that means that only 0.05% of people complain to the CFPB. If 2/3 of them didn't owe the amount that means that just 0.03% of people don't owe the amount or about 1 in 3000.

I bet if the typical person made 3000 contacts that they might get 1-2 wrong.

canoeguy1 said:   OP, your wording is not correct. The consumers are "asserting" it is not owed. That doesn't mean they're right. Anyone can "assert" something simply by saying it-no proof required. Of course, anyone complaining about the debt believes they don't owe it. Otherwise, why would they complain?

† I'm just curious how you can prove you "don't" owe a debt? Their burden of "proof" as far as being able to hunt you down is EXTREMELY small, while your burden of proof to get them to go away is substantially higher.

jowaju said:   † I'm just curious how you can prove you "don't" owe a debt? Their burden of "proof" as far as being able to hunt you down is EXTREMELY small, while your burden of proof to get them to go away is substantially higher.
† Huh? †The answer if you don't have to. †The burden is all on the collector and as CN47 pointed out, it's not that hard to make bad collector pay YOU for insisting on collection of unproven debt.

I had a debt collector threaten to sue me over a medical debt of less than $10, and they were willing to swear on a stack of bibles that I ignored 12 monthly invoices.

They zeroed out the debt.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017