• filter:

Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My Father passed away in April 2016.  My Mother received a notice from the PA tax folks notifying her that the Pennsylvania tax-folks did not received a “Inheritance Tax Return”; Also, stating the return was due nine-months after my Father’s death.Moving past any reasons it wasn’t filed before now... Is this a legal or tax issue?  I forwarded the information to Mom’s lawyer, who is an estate-planner… Reports he was not familiar with the form.  Again… Moving past the lawyer’s response… I get the feeling this is a tax issue (opinions on this?) which then would be an account’s responsibility.  Given my previous thoughts… I’ll assume this is a tax issue; If not, let me know.  In my Mother’s case her “accountant” is H&R Block…  No bashing them… The situation is what it is.  My Mother also subscribed to their “Peace of Mind” grantee.If the prevailing opinion, is in fact, a tax issue… Anyone familiar with this H&R Block guarantee?Any other questions to fill in the gaps… Let me know.    

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It would be useful to know the size of the estate and who received it.

rated:

rated:
It would help to know about the who and estate to determine who is responsible to file the return? 

rated:
jason745 said:   https://www.google.com/search?q=penn+“Inheritance+Tax+Return”&oq=penn+“Inheritance+Tax+Return” 
  I can Google too.  Looking for more educated responses. 

rated:
The executor of the estate would generally be the one to file the tax forms.

It is not H&R blocks job unless your Mon hired them to do it.

Who was the executor?

rated:
I also live in Pennsylvania.  When my mother died, the lawyer automatically took care of filing the Pa. inheritance tax form.

rated:
clapperc said:   
jason745 said:   https://www.google.com/search?q=penn+“Inheritance+Tax+Return”&oq=penn+“Inheritance+Tax+Return” 
  I can Google too.  Looking for more educated responses. 

Sadly, most of us are from outside Pennsylvania.
If you had provided the size of the estate, someone could have spoon-fed you whether it was large enough to require a return. They tend to be complicated forms filled out by the executor, who in turn is familiar with all the estate's assets and estate planning strategies (generation skipping trusts). 

That an "estate planner" doesn't know about "estate tax" in the state that he's licensed really would prompt additional questions from me, personally.
HR Block would not be where I'd go for a second opinion either.

My condolences

rated:
I am originally from PA and I am familiar with the inheritance tax. It is 4.5% to direct descendants (higher for siblings). H&R Block can't help you on this. Any assets that you receive through joint tenancy (i.e. you both own it) aren't taxed. My guess is your mother's name was probably on the deed to the house and all of the savings/bank/brokerage accounts and they automatically transferred to her upon his death. If so, she doesn't owe any inheritance tax to PA. She can state that on the form and report zero tax due. I found this below on the PA website 

The rates for Pennsylvania inheritance tax are as follows:

0 percent on transfers to a surviving spouse or to a parent from a child aged 21 or younger;
4.5 percent on transfers to direct descendants and lineal heirs;
12 percent on transfers to siblings; and
15 percent on transfers to other heirs, except charitable organizations, exempt institutions and government entities exempt from tax.
Property owned jointly between spouses is exempt from inheritance tax

rated:
So PA taxes the first dollar of inheritance? And even used to tax transfers between husband and wife? PA is messed up.

rated:
Don't forget you can adopt your adult sibling, gay partner, etc, to get more favorable inheritance tax treatment in PA.  Or you could just leave.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/north/2016/12/21/Pennsylvania-...

rated:
Correction to my prior explanation. Joint property is exempt only if it is jointly owned with the spouse. I thought it applied to everyone. I found this explanation below. I'm glad I moved to Florida 20 years ago.

Joint Property - If a decedent owned property jointly with another person or persons as joint tenants with rights of survivorship ("JTWROS"), the tax is based on the decedents pro rata ownership before death. In other words, if there were two joint owners - the decedent, and one other person - the decedent's share subject to tax on the transfer is one-half; if the decedent and two other persons owned the property, the decedent's share subject to tax is one-third, etc. If a decedent owned property jointly with his or her spouse alone, the transfer is not taxed. The tax treatment of jointly owned property under Federal tax law is also very different.

rated:
They don't tax 401k withdrawals or pensions, so there's that. Unfortunately, they tax the contributions. Florida taxes nothing though.

rated:
If you're going to give me red, please explain why?

rated:
elektronic said:   If you're going to give me red, please explain why?

Because you dirty person you... You are suggesting it is... MESSED UP to be taxing dollars that have already been taxed. The audacity! We all know if you pay off the taxes up front with our already progressive tax system you need to pay again if you die. Because, you know, you died... You didn't earn that money or anything...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017