If your personal information is compromised how do you protect yourself once thieves know your credit information?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If your personal information has been stolen  even if you get  security freeze theives can still bypass  your Security Freeze and access your credit report.  I called a credit burea and they just asked my home address and zip code and then that was it. They let me ask questios about my credit report even though I have a security freeze. Any tips?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

dfres said:   If your personal information has been stolen  even if you get  security freeze theives can still bypass  your Security Freeze and access your credit report.  I called a credit burea and they just asked my home address and zip code and then that was it. They let me ask questios about my credit report even though I have a security freeze. Any tips?
Legally change your name and/or move to a new address. /sarcasm (sort of)

Speaking to a credit bureau about your credit file is not the same as having your credit report pulled (which is what the freeze prevents, unless you lift it).  If, during a phone conversation, you're able to get the credit bureau to divulge your credit freeze security pin (or allow it to be reset), that's a different story (and arguably a HUGE problem).  Hopefully they only allow the pin to be changed if you either have the existing pin or if you snail mail in a request to reset it (where you need to include a copy of your photo id).  Of course, if the thieves manage to get a photo ID under your name, you could be royally screwed (at which point a name and address change may truly be your best option moving forward).

dfres said:   If your personal information has been stolen  even if you get  security freeze theives can still bypass  your Security Freeze and access your credit report.  I called a credit burea and they just asked my home address and zip code and then that was it. They let me ask questios about my credit report even though I have a security freeze. Any tips?I don't know what the laws are regarding this, but it sounds like a major breach of security on their part.

But going off your post history I'm not sure I believe you. You just might be trollin.

Well, let's say that they can "ask questions about the credit report", the freeze still prevents new accounts from being opened. Now if you are saying they let you drop the credit freeze w/out the pin (like mentioned above) then that is a whole different story -- but social engineering isn't going to get a credit issuer past a freeze.

dfres said:   If your personal information has been stolen  even if you get  security freeze theives can still bypass  your Security Freeze and access your credit report.  I called a credit burea and they just asked my home address and zip code and then that was it. They let me ask questios about my credit report even though I have a security freeze. Any tips?
  You are confusing two different things or doesn't understand the purpose of a freeze.  Freeze stop one from getting new credits but doesn't prevent some of your information from being disclosed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017