• filter:

Converting a Euro check to US $?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I've  a Euro cheque in my name for 1k and was wondering what would be the best way to cash it w/o paying too much conversion fees?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Open a bank in Europe. Deposit check and use xe.com or another service like it to transfer and convert the money
This way its lowest cost

rated:
ellory said:   Open a bank in Europe. Deposit check and use xe.com or another service like it to transfer and convert the money
This way its lowest cost

Opening their own bank in Europe??? A bit extreme for a single check.

OP should just go to their bank and present it. He'll have to deal with a collections fee and probably a delay in getting paid, but since it looks like a one time thing, they just got to accept that.

rated:
Thank you ellory and burgerwars! Opening a EU bank account from here seems to be tedious/time consuming process for a one time transaction. Is there any particular US bank/institution that won't charge exorbitant fees?

rated:
To add, opening a bank account in Europe by a U.S. person has become very difficult. FATCA stuff. If one is an HSBC Premier customer in the U.S. they'll assist you in opening an account with one of their foreign subsidiaries, but good luck if you just walk into "Bank of Wherever" and try to open an account.

I do maintain a UK bank account. No plans on ever closing it as it would be next to impossible for me to reopen it.

rated:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8393163_deposit-euro-check-bank.html

Just go to a bank branch and deposit at the counter. Prepare for reasonable/unreasonable amount of fees and an unfavorable FOREX spread depending on how good your bank is, what type of account you have, etc. I'd expect something like EU1,000 coming out to about US$1,000 after fees and currency conversion.

Don't bother opening overseas account over this.

If the issuing bank has a U.S. branch (uncommon but not unheard of), I've had success doing in person there.

rated:
Who sent you the money? If it's a person, have them cancel the cheque and send it via Transfer Wise or similar service.

rated:
Thanks everyone, unfortunately I only got a cheque and can't change that so will have to go through a bank here and pay the fees.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017