Has anyone ever lose their social security card? how do you get a duplocate?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Has anyone ever lost their Social Security Card? Is it better to  call them or do it online? Tell me your experiences good or bad.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
On the other hand: Sit back and your account will grow as an illegal alien will go to work using your card.

Stolat (Apr. 19, 2017 @ 8:52p) |

Text
You guys are too nice

diffeldoof (Apr. 19, 2017 @ 9:21p) |

wtfu (Apr. 19, 2017 @ 9:38p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Social Security has offices across the country. IMO, I would go in physically with as much ID as you can gather.  https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

If you have to go in-person, make an appointment first.

Yup. You need to go.

How did you lose your card? Are you sure you lost it?

ellory said:   How did you lose your card? Are you sure you lost it?
  presumably OP cannot find the card, hence OP deduces it lost

My SS card and/or birth certificate was lost in the mail during a passport application when I was in college.  I remember it being a ridiculous hassle.  Can't tell you how it was solved but it was a pain...  I sure hope it is easier now.

Depending on what state you live in, you might be able to do it online if you have a drivers licence or state issued ID. See below. If not, you will need to schedule an office visit, or mail stuff in. You will need a state issued original birth certificate, and then a drivers licence or other form of ID.

To Qualify to do it online, you must have:
Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:
Arizona;
California;
District of Columbia
Florida;
Idaho;
Iowa;
Kentucky;
Maryland;
Michigan;
Mississippi;
Nebraska;
North Dakota;
New Mexico;
Pennsylvania;
South Dakota;
Texas;
Washington; or
Wisconsin (driver's license only).

Mine was lost about 40 years ago give or take. Then it was found around 10-12 years ago.
I didn't really need it for the 20-30 years that it was lost. Nothing requires SS card as identification exclusively, they'd always accept other forms of ID. Not that it wasn't a minor pain, but its not the end of the world.

jerosen said:   Mine was lost about 40 years ago give or take. Then it was found around 10-12 years ago.
I didn't really need it for the 20-30 years that it was lost. Nothing requires SS card as identification exclusively, they'd always accept other forms of ID. Not that it wasn't a minor pain, but its not the end of the world.

That is true if you have a passport.  But if you ever need to get a licence in a new state, or fill out an I-9 (employment verification) then you will need a S.S. card, unless you have a passport.

daw4888 said:   
jerosen said:   Mine was lost about 40 years ago give or take. Then it was found around 10-12 years ago.

That is true if you have a passport.  But if you ever need to get a licence in a new state, or fill out an I-9 (employment verification) then you will need a S.S. card, unless you have a passport.

You don't need a SS card to get a passport

too bad, you cannot collect society security from now on.

daw4888 said:   

Its possible things have changed in the past few years and it varies state by state but I got by without a passport or physical SS card for most of my life.

A copy of birth certificate seemed to cover most things.  I think I had a certified copy or something.   

eta: I checked and verified I-9 can be done with a drivers license and birth certificate.   

rufflesinc said:   
daw4888 said:   

You don't need a SS card to get a passport

Correct.   You do not.

Not sure why innocuous facts get red...

SS Card is lousy ID. The only thing you can't have changed is the number and there's no photo. If you've got a common last name, you could become anyone provided other ID matches. And the number has no extra data such as birth date as in other parts of the world. A passport is far superior.

I lost my card when I was a kid 40 years ago and contacted Social Sec. and they sent me another. Being a kid you don't always check things properly and when I got in a accident and applied for disability benefits it was taking forever (2 years), and I did not know why. Finally at my wits end I contacted my Congressman and they said they would look into and expedite the matter. 2 months later they discovered I had the same Social Security number as someone else (this happened when they sent me my replacement card) so I had to iron out my actual work history with them.
Things have been good ever since.

daw4888 said:   

Apparently, you can complete the I-9 with a birth certificate (among other documents):

https://jobs.irs.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg-uploads/files/I...

jerosen said:   Nothing requires SS card as identification exclusively...

Strangely, I need to show my SS card every couple years to renew my airport ID. Without exception I have to produce that weathered old piece of card board with my 3rd grade signature. Makes me laugh every time.

I'd recommend that you start monitoring your credit report from now on. Also, you might want to get a pin from IRS for the future.

My SS card is so old it actually says "For Social Security and Tax Purposes - Not for identification". The State of FL would not take a valid passport for transferring another state's driver's license. The SS card and birth certificate were acceptable. Proof of SSN is a FL state requirement.

kchunk said:   jerosen said:   Nothing requires SS card as identification exclusively...

Strangely, I need to show my SS card every couple years to renew my airport ID. Without exception I have to produce that weathered old piece of card board with my 3rd grade signature. Makes me laugh every time.

Oops I didn't mean to say it that way. I should have said that nothing I ran into required an ss card.

I didn't ever need one. But of course I'm sure rules vary across the country.

Eta : I should also clarify that I do need the number for things. Just not the physical card.

On the other hand: Sit back and your account will grow as an illegal alien will go to work using your card.

Text
You guys are too nice

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017