Has anyone ever made a "personal statement" on a credit report by calling the reporting agencies?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I hear you can make a 100 word statement on your credit reports for  bad credit items or for Identity theft so to explain what happened. Has anyone ever did this? How did you do this. Did it work out? Or did it harm you when getting credit?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What good is a statement when most consumer lending is automated? And for manual lending, you can just tell them.

This is the 4th or 5th time dfres has posted a question like this.

Are they doing some school project? Or researching material for a book?

I find it more helpful to wear a nice suit and tie when I apply for credit lines on the internet.

Many many years ago I sent a statement about a mistake.  Eventually I received my full credit report and saw my statement, but it had a text limit and it was cut off in mid sentence and was good for nothing.

Do all your posts have to start with "Has anyone.....Blah blah blah". For your kind information, what ever your situation is, someone here has faced before. So need to keep saying "Has anyone....". We all have been there and done that.

It's a throwback to the days when all lending was manual, and Fico scoring wasn't ubiquitous. So if you had otherwise perfect credit but a $200 collection item over a disputed video store return, the credit analyst would see your statemnr and weight the item correctly. Nowadays, it doesn't really matter.

Would it matter for mortgages?

Well, for a mortgage, the underwriter will likely ask for payoffs or explanation of any derogatory items anyway.

TravelerMSY said:   Well, for a mortgage, the underwriter will likely ask for payoffs or explanation of any derogatory items anyway.
  They usually won't try to manually re-score. They will try to get you to fix errors if you need a higher score.

Op have you had identity theft if so go to creditboars and read the ID theft forum and follow directions there.

These notes won't matter at all.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017