• filter:

Any experience with Discover Warranty?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Any experience with Discover Warranty?  I had a macbook air which died right after 12 months mark.  Unfortunately i didn't buy appleCare.  New one would cost about $800 .. and apple repair was $500.   I tried to figure out if discover will pay out cash (if i did not repair and wanted to just buy new one) - process just taking too long, so i ended up getting it repaired from Apple & hoping Discover warranty covers it.   Discover does it throu a company called Crawford.  They want 1) original receipt (was lucky to find it ) 2) warranty info from Apple 3) Discover statement 4) repair estimate.  I uploaded everything about 3 weeks back.  Of course they don't provide any feedback - after numerous call, someone gave me name/number of the insurance adjuster assigned to my case - and of course she never picks up the phone.

After 3 weeks i see an email from them saying documents accepted and status moved to "Approved Pending Review" - not sure what that means.  

Was wondering if anyone has done it and how long it typically takes.  Saw a old thread with some info, but not enough details of anyone actually filing a successful claim.  I know for small amount many company just give you the money back (I had amex just did it over phone for a $80 DVD player without any proof/estimate etc).  But for bit larger amount - it is a long process.  And in case you don't have original receipt and no good way of getting an estimate to fix it - well that'll kill your claim.

From reading their docs ... i should get the money back - but who knows with insurance claim.  So was wondering if anyone else had experience.

Also for future reference, people think Chase Reserve (i.e. premium card) - would handle warranty claim better than no fee card?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Did you have all your documents in order? I recently did this with a Mac on American Express. Paperwork was super particular. I did get it in the end, but it was a lot of legwork.

rated:
It's an insurance model so they don't make it super easy to claim. But if you follow the instructions there's no reason you won't get paid for a valid claim. Escalate to your state insurance regulator if necessary.

rated:
Just went thru a Discover extended warranty claim. The adjuster from Crawford was VERY SLOW. Fairly easy to do online, but had to send the adjuster 4 emails (dated 1 week apart) to get them to approve the claim. This another 3 weeks to receive the extended warranty payment. Total time from 1st contact filing of claim with 100% correct paperwork needed to approve claim to receiving check was 14 weeks. I am retired P&C insurance agent, so I know how to properly submit a claim for payment. CitiBank Extended Warranty Claims MUCH EASIER and Citi does not require you to actually replace the item, they just pay the claim (Discover claims agent required me to replace item).

rated:
ilkhante said:   Did you have all your documents in order? I recently did this with a Mac on American Express. Paperwork was super particular. I did get it in the end, but it was a lot of legwork.

Was Amex also throu crawford?  Read somewhere many of them uses the same insurance company. 

Yes i have all the paperwork - only thing i did not submit yet is the actual proof of repair worked getting done.  But based on the online status - seems they don't need it & just happy with estimate from apple so far.  The big issue i see - you can't really talk to anyone to get a status, or if they need any additional paperwork.  

rated:
busnut said:   Just went thru a Discover extended warranty claim. The adjuster from Crawford was VERY SLOW. Fairly easy to do online, but had to send the adjuster 4 emails (dated 1 week apart) to get them to approve the claim. This another 3 weeks to receive the extended warranty payment. Total time from 1st contact filing of claim with 100% correct paperwork needed to approve claim to receiving check was 14 weeks. I am retired P&C insurance agent, so I know how to properly submit a claim for payment. CitiBank Extended Warranty Claims MUCH EASIER and Citi does not require you to actually replace the item, they just pay the claim (Discover claims agent required me to replace item).

Thanks for the info.  How did you get the adjuster email address?  They only gave me the name & phone number of the adjuster - i guess i can keep leaving voice mail few more times.

But very helpful to get the overall timeline ... i'm only 3 weeks in - so i guess i'm looking at at least 10 more weeks - which is fine, as long as they pay.

My online paperwork status shows all lineitems "approved" or "no longer needed" ... so hopefully my paperworks are already all fulfilled.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   It's an insurance model so they don't make it super easy to claim. But if you follow the instructions there's no reason you won't get paid for a valid claim. Escalate to your state insurance regulator if necessary.

thanks for the tip ... i guess i'll let it play out to around 10-14 weeks (based on what another poster posted) .. before pursing that.   

rated:
If they end up paying, overall i can't complain even if it takes 10+ weeks .... it is a no AF card - i got in on discover double points for 1st year promo .. and also used Apple Pay to pay for the laptop - which gave me 10x X 2 = 20% cashback.

Totally forgot i bought with credit card and was ready to buy a new one or repair it - then the extened warranty thought came in mind

rated:
prozario said:   
ilkhante said:   Did you have all your documents in order? I recently did this with a Mac on American Express. Paperwork was super particular. I did get it in the end, but it was a lot of legwork.

Was Amex also throu crawford?  Read somewhere many of them uses the same insurance company. 

Yes i have all the paperwork - only thing i did not submit yet is the actual proof of repair worked getting done.  But based on the online status - seems they don't need it & just happy with estimate from apple so far.  The big issue i see - you can't really talk to anyone to get a status, or if they need any additional paperwork.  

AMEX runs their own insurance (or they did when I used it a couple of years ago)

rated:
My experience was so bad that I will never buy anything with warranty with Discover. It took months to resolve a $30 item claim. And they actually want you to buy the same item. This was for a crappy LaCrosse charger. Most people in Amazon reviews say it lasts slightly more than a year. Mine did so. Here's the main problem: The insurance adjuster really tries you to "forget" your claim. They want something, you send it. If you don't do a follow-up call, they never "see" the item you send (email or fax, it does not matter). And they lie! They claim they sent an email requesting more documents. But the email never arrives, not in spam folder either. This is the first time I hear that "the email should have been lost" (this is gmail BTW).

In the end, I bought the same item again (for them to pay). And it failed again (after a year). And no, I will not use Discover Warranty again to "re-buy" this.

During the same time this was happening, my energy meter ($40 item) died. This was with Amex. I opened a claim on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, I found an email saying that the claim is closed. I said, WTH, did they deny it? Because they did not want a receipt or warranty documents and anything. I opened the email, and it says "you'll see your refund in a few days". A few days!!! WTH? The refund was in my account on that very day!!!

rated:
If I had a choice upfront. I'd always defer to using an Amex premium card rather than anything else. But the ridiculously generous first-year portal and regular cashback doubled for using discover is a good reason to deviate.

rated:
oko said:   My experience was so bad that I will never buy anything with warranty with Discover. It took months to resolve a $30 item claim. And they actually want you to buy the same item. This was for a crappy LaCrosse charger. Most people in Amazon reviews say it lasts slightly more than a year. Mine did so. Here's the main problem: The insurance adjuster really tries you to "forget" your claim. They want something, you send it. If you don't do a follow-up call, they never "see" the item you send (email or fax, it does not matter). And they lie! They claim they sent an email requesting more documents. But the email never arrives, not in spam folder either. This is the first time I hear that "the email should have been lost" (this is gmail BTW).

In the end, I bought the same item again (for them to pay). And it failed again (after a year). And no, I will not use Discover Warranty again to "re-buy" this.

During the same time this was happening, my energy meter ($40 item) died. This was with Amex. I opened a claim on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, I found an email saying that the claim is closed. I said, WTH, did they deny it? Because they did not want a receipt or warranty documents and anything. I opened the email, and it says "you'll see your refund in a few days". A few days!!! WTH? The refund was in my account on that very day!!!

Are you saying they expect you to re-buy using Discover?  I hope they don't expect me to charge the repair on Discover card ..... i didn't see any such requirement.  Mine was a mac repair & I used Amex to pay for the $500 repair (as i got into amex strwood card promo and need to charge $3K in 3 months).  

Will see how it goes ... but it seems they intentionally slow walk/complicates things to frustrate people so i guess they hope you eventually give up.

rated:
I recently did this with Amex on an iPhone battery and they didn't ask for anything or proof. My statement credit just showed up in 15 days for the full amount of the phone. It was 18 months old. Just filled out the online form.

rated:
Luniz97 said:   I recently did this with Amex on an iPhone battery and they didn't ask for anything or proof. My statement credit just showed up in 15 days for the full amount of the phone. It was 18 months old. Just filled out the online form.

yes seems like Amex is very good as far as warranty.  While back i did one with DVD player, they did it over phone, and took few weeks to get the money back.  No reason to think for bit larger amount, Amex wont be better than discover.

rated:
prozario said:     
Are you saying they expect you to re-buy using Discover?  I hope they don't expect me to charge the repair on Discover card ..... i didn't see any such requirement.  Mine was a mac repair & I used Amex to pay for the $500 repair (as i got into amex strwood card promo and need to charge $3K in 3 months).  

Will see how it goes ... but it seems they intentionally slow walk/complicates things to frustrate people so i guess they hope you eventually give up.

No, you don't have to buy with discover when re-buying the item.
   A slightly related note:  Discover accepts warranty claims when you buy it with discover points on Amazon.

rated:
oko said:   
prozario said:     

No, you don't have to buy with discover when re-buying the item.
   A slightly related note:  Discover accepts warranty claims when you buy it with discover points on Amazon

Thanks for the info ... was worried, if i misseed any fine prints somewhere that i have to charge it to discover for the repair.

Good to know about the points .. but after this experience, i'll  try a different card when buying electronics.

Based on what i read - warranty is done through visa or master card... so i'm guessing the actual brand of the card, or whether premium or no AF possible doesn't matter.  Seems to me, all Visa or Master card will go through same process.

Amex seems to have most positive posts/feedback when it comes to warranty claim.

rated:
After several attempt .. finally got hold of the insurance adjuster assigned ...never picks up the phone, so was bit surprised. Basically told me, she approved it & doesn't need any further docs from me .. but application needs her manager approval as well - who apparently is out. Fingers crossed ... hopefully the manager doesn't ask for anything else. If manager approves, it'll take another 10 day to get the check.

rated:
Last status update for those who commented. Finally success - they just sent email saying all approved, and check is on the way & allow 7-10 day for check arrival. They paid out full repair cost with tax ... about $520. They did not ask for proof of repair, but was happy with apple repair estimate.

Since i didn't know which way they were going, i repaired it last week anyhow.... so net net positive experience. If i bought a new one .. would've been $800 + tax - so net of $300 more, plus apple guy asked for $100 to do data transfer (not possible to do it easily yourself, as they use proprietary flash disk).  So happy with repair decision.

Only thing i would suggest for improvement is the lack of communication explaining the process. But otherwise can't complain - about 4 weeks to have it approved (they said part of the delay was due to Spring break/vacation) ... and say 2 more weeks to get the check. For $520 in terms of free warranty service - can't complain at all.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017