• filter:

micro AOR June 2017*

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
have: his and hers CSR, will cancel one prior to anniversary/AF, but keep the other. 

HHI: $250k-$500k

FICO: > 800 (his and hers)

current debts: first mortgage 30 year 3.625% at 90% LTV ~2x HHI. No other debts but see below*

planning to get: 

his and hers Chase Freedom Unlimited ($150 bonus, no AF, 1.5% CB on everything, multiplied to 2.25% if redeemed through Chase UR and paired with CSR))

his and hers US Bank Altitude (50,000 point bonus, $325 travel credit, $400 AF, $100 Global Entry credit, 12 free Gogo wifi passes, 3% CB on travel, 3% CB on all ewallet purchases (with no cap according to recent reports), all rewards multiplied by 1.5% when redeemed = 4.5% travel, 4.5% ewallet purchases). We will possibly cancel both at end of first year, may keep one. Need the Global Entry for at least one of them.

Discover It - converting current Discover - double CB for one year, no AF, will primarily use for 5% categories = 10%.

Capital One Venture - (40,000 point bonus, no AF first year, $59 after)

I need another couple great cards for bonuses or rewards, any suggestions?

*the only catch is I have to wait til mid-late June to do this. I am buying a vehicle and financing through Fiat Chrysler and my credit score at time of delivery in 4-8 weeks will determine my rate, so I can't take a chance of screwing that up.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
The Amex Everyday 25k is a no-brainer if you have MR and high AF cards. Having one means you can open/close Gold/Plt cards and not lost the bonus points or have to transfer them out anywhere until you need them.

If you like airline miles there ares some good cards there.

Other than that I'd swap a Chase Freedom Regular for the CFU; the 50% uplift for a CSR would still happen with your 5% bonus categories and you should be able to pretty easily max out 1-2 of those a year (Gas/grocery/Amazon ). Or just product change to the Freedom and you won't have a pull or a new account, but will not get the $150 bonus.

Wells fargo 5x card with a $200 bonus makes for a fun tightrope walk through the 6 month grocery/Gas/Drugstore 5x shutdown churn.

If the Merril Lynch cards come back those are No brainers for both of you. $500 each.

Nix the venture, 3 pulls for one card and 40k isn't worth it in my opinion.

Edit to add: Just saw that you are waiting till June for this AOR. That means all of this discussion is a moo point. Come back in June and post again. 

rated:
You can only get the Altitude if you are a current US Bank deposit customer. Application will be auto-denied otherwise.

How many cards have each of you applied for in the last 24 months? (Chase cares)

rated:
I would look into the Merrill+ card, it's 50,000 pts (equivalent to $1,000 in travel rewards) with $3k spend. Not sure if the offer is still going, it was a few weeks ago. Just be prepared for a slow approval, they take a couple business days.

rated:
Wouldn't the points from a Chase Sapphire Preferred be more valuable / useful than the CFU?

rated:
See if you qualify for United 70k+5k offer

rated:
I love the way you keep saying his and hers.....

rated:
- 1 card each in the last 24 months (his and hers CSR - and there it is again )
- she's had a Chase United card before, he hasn't. But that would be another Chase card
- yes we have a US Bank relationship
- will look for that Merrill card though Stuptify indicates not available
- CFU useful because it is 2.25% on everyday spending. But if I can e-wallet almost everything, it seems like laundering everything through e-wallet and Altitude is basically 4.5% on everything. Seems too easy. At the worst, CFU is a $150 bonus.
- re: Cap One Venture, do I care about three pulls? I assume this is basically going to ding my credit good for a while, don't have any imminent need for credit although I guess one never knows.

rated:
gremln007 said:   Wouldn't the points from a Chase Sapphire Preferred be more valuable / useful than the CFU?
  ? All Chase UR can be transferred to CSR (Or CSPreferred or Ink Plus) to transfer to partners or use directly at redemption rates for the premium cards.  You can earn the points on CFU or CF and then transfer them.  

I've got two regular Chase freedoms and a CSR.  I converted my CSP to CF at one year because I moved to the CSR.  Already got $2k in ice cream this quarter (1k more to do). Overpaid my taxes with the grocery store spend.   The $2k spend gave me 10k UR.  I have two one way flights booked next weekend at 1660 points each on Southwest( they were originally booked at 3300 points each, but last week southwest matched some Delta $39 flights and I changed them) using only 1/3 of the points I earned from spending $28 in transaction fees.  Not bad.  I essentially am paying $9+$11TsaFee = $20 for a round trip flight.  Too bad not all flights are that rate or the CSR bonus would be 30 round trips.  1660 is the cheapest flights I've ever booked.

A third Chase freedom would be useful to bump the quarterly limit to $4500/22,500.  But for me to get a third they'll have to come out with a better succesor to the CSR so I can convert my CSR to another one.

rated:
The game has changed now. There's little benefit to AOR type apps and you can get approved easily for 3+ cards per month if you stretch it out throughout the year.

If you only have had one card each in the last 24 months, go with strictly Chase apps first. They are the most valuable cards out there and highly restrictive to 5/24. Namely, I'd get the Chase SW Premier/Plus Personal and Business (try for all 3 to get max signup points and Companion Pass). These cards can be worth over $1k each if you use Companion pass strategically.

Chase Ink Cash/Plus/Preferred, Saphire Reserve are all good ones. I would strategize on Chase only for your next 3 cards to open over the next month or two, then go for other cards. I wouldn't even apply for a card unless you are getting more than $500 benefit after fees.

After Chase 5/24 restricted cards, there's a handful of other good ones, mainly geared toward travel: Barclay Arrival+, Chase Hyatt.

I'd stay clear of Cap Venture since it pulls all three agencies for 3 total hard pulls! That's a high cost to a ~$500 benefit. Barclay Arrival+ gives you the same benefit for one hard pull.

There are several flavors AMEX Platinum and Gold versions on the table (once per lifetime = 7 years before you can sign up for them again). Look for 50k+ Delta Skymiles, plus Delta statement credits, each worth over $500.

Amtrak and Chase British Airways Visa Signature cards also just had a best-ever signup bonus. Starwood SPG 35k points just finished their best-ever business/personal cards and those were great for Delta/Marriott transfers as well. With 35k points, those could be redeemed for around $700-$800 in travel.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
gremln007 said:   Wouldn't the points from a Chase Sapphire Preferred be more valuable / useful than the CFU?
  ? All Chase UR can be transferred to CSR (Or CSPreferred or Ink Plus) to transfer to partners or use directly at redemption rates for the premium cards.  You can earn the points on CFU or CF and then transfer them.  

I've got two regular Chase freedoms and a CSR.  I converted my CSP to CF at one year because I moved to the CSR.  Already got $2k in ice cream this quarter (1k more to do). Overpaid my taxes with the grocery store spend.   The $2k spend gave me 10k UR.  I have two one way flights booked next weekend at 1660 points each on Southwest( they were originally booked at 3300 points each, but last week southwest matched some Delta $39 flights and I changed them) using only 1/3 of the points I earned from spending $28 in transaction fees.  Not bad.  I essentially am paying $9+$11TsaFee = $20 for a round trip flight.  Too bad not all flights are that rate or the CSR bonus would be 30 round trips.  1660 is the cheapest flights I've ever booked.

A third Chase freedom would be useful to bump the quarterly limit to $4500/22,500.  But for me to get a third they'll have to come out with a better succesor to the CSR so I can convert my CSR to another one.

I meant the sign-up bonus points.  ie 50K.  Seems like that or the Ink with 80K points would be more beneficial.  I suppose this depends on the OP's planned spending though.

rated:
thinking of adding alaska Visa signature for the bonus miles and companion fare, as I plan to gain elite status with them next year. one each his and hers.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017