• filter:

Chase closing acct, should I apply before or after?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Currently at 3/24 total new CC apps (one will drop off in june). I have two Chase cards; Marriott with 30k limit and Freedom with 33.7k limit.

Chase sent me a letter saying they will close my Freedom card in 60 days due to inactivity. Am I better off waiting until its closed to apply for any new Chase cards? Trying to figure out how to salvage the 33.7k limit but I don't think they'll let me reallocate to the Marriott. Anybody have luck reallocating before a card gets closed? Should I just let it die and then apply for a new Chase card shortly after?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Just make a purchase on the Freedom card and they won't close it. Simple.

rated:
slc39 said:   Just make a purchase on the Freedom card and they won't close it. Simple.

Too late for that. The letter explicitly states that using the card will not prevent it from closing. The time to make the small purchase was a few months back before they flagged it as inactive.

rated:
renaud said:   Trying to figure out how to salvage the 33.7k limit but I don't think they'll let me reallocate to the Marriott. Anybody have luck reallocating before a card gets closed?
Why do you think they won't let you reallocate? I've reallocated cards between product lines @ Chase in the past (including moving a partial CL from a different card to open up a Marriott card, then moving the Marriott's entire CL back to another card when the annual fee came up during renewal). In fairness, none of my reallocations occurred when a card was flagged to be closed, so I don't know if that'll prevent reallocation. I suggest you anyway give it a shot.  If successful, you won't lose the credit, where you'll then have it available for partial reallocation to a new card, assuming Chase won't extend you any additional credit.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   Why do you think they won't let you reallocate?

Once the account is flagged for closure as "inactive," it's over. The only way to keep it is to pretty much "reapply" for the card only you won't get any new account opening bonus. Just let the card die, and hit them up again on a new card that's worth it to you.

rated:
Wife got the same letter about her Freedom card. Called and they said that if she used the card between now and the 60 days and called back before the 60 days is up, they would reconsider the account closure. Credit limit is $60k so we want to keep it open.

rated:
workindev said:   they would reconsider

They won't keep it open just because you used it.

rated:
I've had Chase be willing to keep a card open that was flagged for inactivity closure before. That was several years ago though, not sure if policies are different now.

rated:
Did they refuse your reallocation request? Alternatively, see if they'll product change it into something, although it hurts you on 5/24.

rated:
Unless the 33k limit is a legacy from when they had looser credit standards, they'll likely give it back to you.

rated:
psm321 said:   I've had Chase be willing to keep a card open that was flagged for inactivity closure before.

You need to tell the whole story. Sure they are "willing" to keep it open as they proceed to ask you: Where you work? How long? Household income? What they are doing is asking you to REapply for your own card. They will pull your credit. There will be no new account bonus.

rated:
I have not asked about reallocating yet. Just got the letter yesterday and wanted to solicit some feedback here first.

I'm not interested in basically reapplying for this card, I'll just let it dies if that's the only option. I'll ask about reallocating to my Marriott but not sure they'll be willing to since I've never used close to the 30k limit it already has.

rated:
You can product change the card to something else which will keep it alive. You can try to PC it to the Freedom Unlimited, for example (then you can just PC it back to a Freedom after that if you really want a Freedom in your back pocket.)

rated:
workindev said:   Wife got the same letter about her Freedom card. Called and they said that if she used the card between now and the 60 days and called back before the 60 days is up, they would reconsider the account closure. Credit limit is $60k so we want to keep it open.
  Update: Wife used the card several times in the 60 day period and called 2 days before the 60 days expired and they agreed to not close the account.

rated:
Had the exact same thing. On the letter there is a number you can call if you want to further discuss it with a Chase rep. I called, asked to keep it open and they did it, no questions asked except whether I wanted them to pull my credit to see if they could increase the limit. I think they're just looking to close out accounts people have forgotten about. Just call and ask for what you want (reallocation). It's not like they'll blacklist you for asking.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017