• filter:

Trulia, Zillow, Redfin - accurate listings for Denver please

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Trying to find a home to rent in Denver but the listings are incredibly inaccurate. I'm having to cross check too many things in the process. Square footage  and actual school zone are usually inaccurate on top real estate sites. I'm having to look at City data and other sources to get an honest picture of the rentals. Are there any resources that do not allow tampering. Going a little crazy with this process. Thanks.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
can you give us some specific examples of house for rent listing that is inaccurate?

rated:
school zones should always be checked with the school district website.

rated:
Contact a local real estate agent

rated:
Colorado has "open enrollment" for public schools, which probably calls for additional research beyond district boundaries. First, any student in the state can enroll in any school. This MAY mean that you don't need to live in a school's district. But every school has capacity limits too. For some very popular schools + neighborhoods, this means that district residence does not guarantee enrollment in the closest or preferred school. Preference did go to residents, but I don't know if there's just a lottery for them, and then if there's grandfathering for students once enrolled that locks you in (and limits openings in later grades).

We've been out of public schools for a while, but did take advantage of open enrollment to switch to one great school. This was outside of Denver, but basically local housing prices and traffic problems meant that many schools in one quality district had openings for non-residents. We switched mid-year, I don't remember any special action needed to re-enroll, and after that we became district residents anyway.

rated:
https://www.denvergov.org/property/realproperty
Trulia Mobile app https://www.trulia.com/rental/4010819446-1634-S-Pearl-St-Denver-...

Look at Trulia- especially single home rentals. They will list square footage anywhere from 7-900 greater than actual footage.
thx

rated:
School zones... Do you have a greater chance of enrolling in your school if you are a neighborhood resident. Coming from Boston it's hard for me to understand.

rated:
I think you're partly looking at discrepancies in presenting the data, not errors or deception. That example reports 1700sf on trulia. The county assessor's site lists 863sf... plus 863 basement. Now, the county site also shows only 400sf of the basement is finished, which is probably important to find out about. It's possible that information is just out of date.

For school zones, it's really best to contact the schools directly (not even the district office, the school). Even if you have a few options in mind, it's worth avoiding any trouble. They're going to be accustomed to these questions this time of year, but now's the time to get everything figured out. The maps will be on their site, and info about overcapacity issues or open enrollment may be there too, but I'd contact school admins directly even if just to confirm that's all current information.

rated:
SlimTim said:   Colorado has "open enrollment" for public schools, which probably calls for additional research beyond district boundaries. First, any student in the state can enroll in any school. This MAY mean that you don't need to live in a school's district. But every school has capacity limits too. For some very popular schools + neighborhoods, this means that district residence does not guarantee enrollment in the closest or preferred school. P
  MI has "schools of choice" and it's basically a scam as districts can opt-out. 

rated:
SlimTim said:   I think you're partly looking at discrepancies in presenting the data, not errors or deception. That example reports 1700sf on trulia. The county assessor's site lists 863sf... plus 863 basement. Now, the county site also shows only 400sf of the basement is finished, which is probably important to find out about. It's possible that information is just out of date.

OP should be careful and double check everything with the prop records. Around here, even if the basement is finished with gold and marble, it's still considered misleading to include it in the sqft

rated:
what area of Denver are you looking to move into? If you are looking for a particular neighboorhood, I think this map is pretty Handy and accurately represents the areas I personally would look. Basically Green/Blue is good Red/Orange is bad. This shows the education level of a particular neighborhood.

http://personal.tcu.edu/kylewalker/maps/education/#9.61/39.6784/...

One other thing in regard to schools. Your child can attend any public charter school, assuming they are accepted, for free (I think). Private charter schools usually have an extra tuition.

As for actually finding a place to rent, then good luck. It is expensive and crowded here.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017