• filter:

Getting a second job to obtain dual insurance coverage.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have a high-deductible plan with a large out of pocket max ($8,000.00) through my primary employer. I'm expecting a large medical expense in the next few months which will probably cost much more than my out of pocket max. If i get a second job (ex. Starbucks) to obtain additional health insurance, will the coverage from my second insurance plan cover the out-of-pocket costs from the first plan?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It looks like you have to work at least 240 hours over a three consecutive month period to be eligible at Starbucks. There is also a 4 month waiting period to vest in the health benefits after you start. Then there's the issue of coordination of benefits to see which insurance will be considered the primary one. This website is from 2005 but it looks like most places have some vesting period to discourage such behavior.

Part Time Jobs With Health Insurance 

rated:
I am not an insurance expert, but if you are (or become) covered under a regular insurance plan, you are disqualified from HDHP. Have you thought about asking your employer's benefits department?

rated:
ymarker said:   I am not an insurance expert, but if you are (or become) covered under a regular insurance plan, you are disqualified from HDHP. Have you thought about asking your employer's benefits department?

That is not accurate, though you may be disqualified from contributing to an HSA.

rated:
chseee said:   I have a high-deductible plan with a large out of pocket max ($8,000.00) through my primary employer. I'm expecting a large medical expense in the next few months which will probably cost much more than my out of pocket max.

Out of pocket max and the amount you pay for care are very different things. You probably have to pay 100% up to the deductible, and then a a much smaller percentage (typically around 20%) of the rest, up 'till the OOP. For example, if the expense was $10,000, your deductible was $5,000 and your copay was 20%, you would end up paying $6,000. Subtract the tax savings from your HSA (you do have one, right?) and your effective cost is in the neighborhood of $4,700.

What is the expense? Does your employer offer a non-HDHP? Could you put off the expense until next year, giving you the opportunity to evaluate whether the other plan would make more sense?

rated:
Most of the time if insurance 1 covers x, and insurance 2 covers x+3, insurance 2 will only pay +3, so you get max coverage per 1 insurance and they split the difference, you will still be paying the difference. You will not get coverage for 2x+3.

rated:
Don't do it!

Usually there is no upside.

Real example from when I had it:

Doc visit, got billed at @400+ to primary insurance.

Primary Ins, doc in network, said negotiated amount is $260, covered nothing since we didn't meet deductible. $260 added towards meeting deductible.

Secondary ins, ppo, doc in network said negotiated amount is $107, paid $92 with the rest copay.

Doc said I owe her $260 (I.e. Primary ins negotiated any) - $92 (ins payment) = $168.

I've chased up the tree with both ins - it's all legal. Doc has to go by primary ins negotiated amt when there are two.

I'd have owed $15 if I had just the PPO, and saved the premium for HDHP to boot.

I've researched all possible scenarios I could with dual insurance - yet to find one that is useful.

rated:
ymarker said:   I am not an insurance expert, but if you are (or become) covered under a regular insurance plan, you are disqualified from HDHP. Have you thought about asking your employer's benefits department?
  Nothing would prevent you have getting/using a HDHP, but if you have other coverage you can't contribute to a HSA.

rated:
Just went through this unnecessary headache last month.  In my case it took months for two insurance companies to agree with each other on which insurance was our primary insurance. Meanwhile service providers kept sending us bills and threatened us about sending bills to collection even I explained our situation.  They didn't believe me and I had to pay those bills out of my pocket.  Finally got a call from one them last week and they agreed to reimburse me.

rated:
>I have a high-deductible plan with a large out of pocket max ($8,000.00) through my primary employer

They only have a bronze plan?, why not pay more for a year to upgrade to gold (if available)?

rated:
chseee said:   I have a high-deductible plan with a large out of pocket max ($8,000.00) through my primary employer. I'm expecting a large medical expense in the next few months which will probably cost much more than my out of pocket max. If i get a second job (ex. Starbucks ) to obtain additional health insurance, will the coverage from my second insurance plan cover the out-of-pocket costs from the first plan?
  don't worry about a second job...  get a better first job with an actual good insurance plan.  spend the time you would have been working at a second job studying/training/certifying if necessary.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017