• filter:

Finding land and garage to buy to park car.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hello.  I am in NYC in the boroughs.  Land where I am is too expensive and it is too crowded.  I am looking for a way to acquire land I can use to park my car 24/7 where I actually own the property and can have a small enclosed space for the car.  It must be easily accessible by Railroad within walking distance.  Would consider land in Nassau county, NY or NYC area,  NJ may be a stretch but I would consider the part closest to NYC as well as Suffolk county as well if nothing else was available.  

Any suggestions?  Leasing a space for parking from a garage for big dollars is way too expensive and I don't want a landlord.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You need insurance to get tags for your dog?

atikovi (May. 01, 2017 @ 8:53p) |

Not most dogs and not in most places.  Some areas require you have insurance for dogs the are considers "violent breeds"... (more)

giqcass (May. 01, 2017 @ 10:37p) |

There are plenty of cities with good enough public transportation and/or density that owning a car is not so important. ... (more)

SlimTim (May. 02, 2017 @ 8:16a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You can't build a garage alone on a residential piece of property.

rated:
is your car an antique or super car? otherwise wouldn't it easier just to rent a car for a day when you need it?

rated:
How much are you looking to spend?

I can't imagine land anywhere near NYC would be cheap.

rated:
Have you looked in Dutchess County NY?

rated:
Its too late son. You are not the first one with this brilliant idea.

rated:
A bit different, but kinda similar:

when we were in Philadelphia, we used a cargo van 4 months a year [for work].
We parked it in a campground nearby in NJ

rated:
Depending on what OP's goals are, this is what I did for storing cars in the suburbs a few minutes walk to a bus or train. In '98 I bought a house on 3/4 acres with a 4 car detached garage thinking I could rent out the house and use the garage. Started using the garage immediately but got lazy trying to rent the house, plus the thought of being a residential landlord wasn't too appealing. Found out if I subdivided the property I could sell off the house and keep the garage. Cost me $1,000 to subdivide and record the lots, and I sold the house a few months later for just a few thousand less than what I paid for the entire property. Have been storing cars there ever since, and while technically you can't have just a garage on a residential lot without a house, I've never had any problems.

rated:
It's cheaper to use Uber, Lyft or cabs. Predictions have it that car ownership would soon be something of the past.
Read me.

rated:
mikejensen said:   It's cheaper to use Uber, Lyft or cabs. Predictions have it that car ownership would soon be something of the past.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/goodbye-car-ownership-hello-clean-air-this-is-the-future-of-transport/

Seriously- have you been to LA? Clearly they are phasing out the car...

rated:
mikejensen said:   It's cheaper to use Uber, Lyft or cabs. Predictions have it that car ownership would soon be something of the past.
Read me.
For lulz.. I checked uber price for my commute. From my NJ town to my workplace would be $31.99 each way. So that's $64 round trip.
I commute to work three days a week (yay teleworking) so that would be $192 per week. 7 weeks of holidays/vacation/etc.. 45 weeks a year would be $8640
That's without any trips to see friends, or going to get groceries, etc.

I bought my car brand new on black Friday 2008 for $17250. Still runs fine after 8.5 years and 103k miles.

Get the hell outta here man.. this is finance forum.

rated:
owning a car is a luxury in NYC. It involves parking the car just not financing the vehicle. Either you can afford it(car payment + garage payment+ insurance) or not.

I used to know people who owned a condo in NYC and parked the car a few streets away. They used to take taxi to the garage all the time. Yes the condo did have a garage but expensive.

rated:
KayK said:   
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/goodbye-car-ownership-hello-clean-air-this-is-the-future-of-transport/

For lulz.. I checked uber price for my commute. From my NJ town to my workplace would be $31.99 each way. So that's $64 round trip.
I commute to work three days a week (yay teleworking) so that would be $192 per week. 7 weeks of holidays/vacation/etc.. 45 weeks a year would be $8640

I bought my car brand new on black Friday 2008 for $17250. Still runs fine after 8.5 years and 103k miles.

The economics work out differently for everyone. But, you have neglected to include the cost of gas and insurance, which is included with Uber. You have neglected to include the cost of maintenance on a vehicle with over 100k miles on it, I'm sure you've had costs along the way, tires, breaks, oil changes. And if you are in a city like New York, you are neglecting the cost of parking the vehicle. It is definitely not cut and dry, and for many people, some sort of ride sharing will definitely work out in their favor so don't be so dismissive.

rated:
I think there is a Seinfeld episode where Kramer had to take a taxi to his parked car. This has been happening since the 90s.

rated:
woolooloo said:   
KayK said:   

The economics work out differently for everyone. But, you have neglected to include the cost of gas and insurance, which is included with Uber. You have neglected to include the cost of maintenance on a vehicle with over 100k miles on it, I'm sure you've had costs along the way, tires, breaks, oil changes. And if you are in a city like New York, you are neglecting the cost of parking the vehicle. It is definitely not cut and dry, and for many people, some sort of ride sharing will definitely work out in their favor so don't be so dismissive.

And tolls, which are fairly expensive into NYC.

rated:
Crown Vic don't need no garage.

rated:
I think NYC, San Fran and a few other cities it might make sense to Uber/rent when needed. For the vast majority of America it makes since to have your own car.

rated:
Interesting how often someone posts a question here and half the responses go off on a different tangent. Pretty sure the OP knows the issues of car ownership yet most responses advise to dump the car. Kinda like someone seeking advice for boarding their dog while they go on vacation, and being told to just sell the dog instead.

rated:
atikovi said:   Interesting how often someone posts a question here and half the responses go off on a different tangent. Pretty sure the OP knows the issues of car ownership yet most responses advise to dump the car. Kinda like someone seeking advice for boarding their dog while they go on vacation, and being told to just sell the dog instead.
  Maybe it's like seeking advice about how to keep your dog stashed at your vacation house, for the couple times/year you're actually there.  

OP basically wants to "board" his car full-time, not just when he's on vacation.

rated:
Tiggerlgh said:   I think NYC, San Fran and a few other cities it might make sense to Uber/rent when needed. For the vast majority of America it makes since to have your own car.

That is really highly dependent on personal situation and tolerance for walking/transit.   I started telecommuting recently and I have a small motorscooter for local stuff....  my SUV mostly stays parked.  At one point I worked where I could take an easy rail commute -- it wasn't "cheaper" than taking my truck based on gas versus transit tickets.  (I had a flex schedule so monthly passes were not cheaper than day fares)  If I had not owned a vehicle then it would have been much cheaper, but once you own one any specific trips are an incremental cost.

I have a fairly nice vehicle that I had built exactly like I wanted it 6 years ago.  So I am not quite willing to get rid of it when I have a job that doesn't need it.  Lot to be said for flexibility.  

rated:
And property taxes.

And the occasional cost of parking your vehicle at the destination if parking in the city for a trip/errand/client meeting, if you can even find a space.  Uber drops you at the door.

I agree with RedWolfe, though that the cost is incremental once you own the vehicle.

I just don't think people ever sit down and add up all the costs. It's a lot of money. And time. Time to shop for best deal on tires, oil changes, etc and schedule appointments or drop in for those services.

To the OP: What about a self-storage location? The ones with rows and rows of essentially garage doors, behind which are 10x10 and 10x20 etc rooms where people store their stuff between moves or just extra stuff. Might be able to get one of those cheap and then take train or train+uber to get your car.

rated:
Tiggerlgh said:   I think NYC, San Fran and a few other cities it might make sense to Uber/rent when needed. For the vast majority of America it makes since to have your own car.
  I tend to agree with this, but there are also other considerations... this isn't the 1950s or before... most households have 2+ cars these days.  Now, if you have a two income household where both workers have a decent overlapping commute (probably a vast majority), this becomes just as unavoidable.  However, I think that there are plenty of households where they could reduce the number of cars to one and survive.  I have thought about it myself because I work from home and my wife isn't working right now.  I sometimes go a month-plus without starting my second car and I usually end up doing this just to see if the battery needs to be topped off.  If I have to travel for work, then I can take the car, if it is in-town, rent a car, or take an Uber to the airport.  I would strongly consider it if the second car wasn't paid off... the only significant cost related to it is insurance which is about $200 each six months, and could likely be lower if I switched to an insurance that considers routine mileage.

rated:
Join a community college and park there. Kingsborough College in Brooklyn charges $55 per semester for parking.

rated:
lonestarguy said:   Join a community college and park there. Kingsborough College in Brooklyn charges $55 per semester for parking.
Please don't do this.  It's hard enough trying to affordably provide services at a community college without people taking advantage of subsidized parking. This will ultimately lead to higher parking rates for students at this college.

rated:
sell everything and get the **** out of that *******

rated:
lonestarguy said:   Join a community college and park there. Kingsborough College in Brooklyn charges $55 per semester for parking.
  why would a cc allow overnight parking

rated:
trumpotron said:   sell everything and get the **** out of that *******

Yeah, there is always space out on the Ranch for you to work.  Or corn to grow, right?

rated:

Might work in developing countries, but I can guarantee you in any country that speaks English as their primary language it's better to own a car than to call for a ride.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

Because people study at all hours?

rated:
beatme said:   
rufflesinc said:   

at a community college?  and i would be shocked if a cc's library was open 24 hrs. my big ten engineering college's library was certainty not , outside of finals week

rated:
beatme said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Hmmm I see a business model here to monetize parking passes...

rated:
KayK said:   

You left out $50/ day to park in Manhatten and the cost to repair if accident or mechanical failure. So Uber may actually cost for someone living in NYC.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
beatme said:   
rufflesinc said:   

at a community college?  and i would be shocked if a cc's library was open 24 hrs. my big ten engineering college's library was certainty not , outside of finals week

Sure, but community colleges have decent academic reputations to uphold, unlike little ten schools.

rated:
wilesmt said:   
rufflesinc said:   
beatme said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Sure, but community colleges have decent academic reputations to uphold, unlike little ten schools.

rated:
beatme said:   
rufflesinc said:   

In their cars? Not unless they also live in it.

rated:
atikovi said:   Interesting how often someone posts a question here and half the responses go off on a different tangent. Pretty sure the OP knows the issues of car ownership yet most responses advise to dump the car. Kinda like someone seeking advice for boarding their dog while they go on vacation, and being told to just sell the dog instead.
  There is a lot more to dog ownership then just boarding them.  There are vet bills, dog food, training, and tags.   Not to mention insurance.

rated:
You need insurance to get tags for your dog?

rated:
atikovi said:   You need insurance to get tags for your dog?

Not most dogs and not in most places.  Some areas require you have insurance for dogs the are considers "violent breeds".  Like pit bulls.

rated:
speedracer714 said:   

Might work in developing countries, but I can guarantee you in any country that speaks English as their primary language it's better to own a car than to call for a ride.

There are plenty of cities with good enough public transportation and/or density that owning a car is not so important. It can absolutely be more expense and hassle than it's worth. Some people don't have to drive 20 miles to go to the movies or meet friends at a restaurant. OP is talking about NYC, not the average US suburb.

I live in a much smaller and less dense city, but my wife, child & I share a car. Public bus transportation is decent and we buy yearly passes that make it very cheap and easy. I signed up for a local car-sharing service, though still haven't used it in over a year. I used Lyft for the first time last month. It's definitely a lot cheaper than keeping another car around, and has had minimal inconvenience.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017