• filter:

Missing Amended Return - What now?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So because of an IRA categorization issue, I had to amend three years' worth of returns (2013, 2014 and 2015).  This was discovered at the last minute and the amended returns all went out on the same day in early April.  USPS says each of the three amended returns were received by the IRS, but the IRS's "Where's my Amended Return" status page only indicates that 2014 and 2015 were received so far.  As of Tuesday, it will have been three weeks since they all should have been received.  Given the deadlines at issue, the 2013 amended return being the one they don't have is obviously the worst situation.  Has anyone had an amended return go missing?  Is it normal for the IRS to take longer to reflect they received certain amended returns?  Any advice on how to handle or am I likely to be SOL?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It's too bad the IRS doesn't have anyone you could call and talk to.

rated:
jason745 said:   It's too bad the IRS doesn't have anyone you could call and talk to.
  Budget cuts.

rated:
It's normal for the IRS to take longer to process amended returns - not sure about whether it takes them longer to reflect receipt of amended returns.

If by "USPS says each of the three amended returns were received by the IRS" you mean that you have a USPS Certified mail receipt (ether online or the old-school postcard thing) for all returns including 2013, you should be OK legally.  

Suggest that on a Tuesday through Thursday between 9 AM and 3 PM (but not lunchtime) you brew some coffee, find a good book, sit down, call the IRS and ask about the 2013.  After some extended hold times you may get your answer.

(By the way, if by chance you filed an automatic extension form (Form 4868) for 2013, your deadline for refunds is October 2017 instead of April.) 

rated:
Thanks, fw9999. I have delivery confirmation, but not technical certified mail confirmation.

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017