• filter:

Yahoo Finance Portfolio changes

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I've been using Yahoo Finance since forever to easily track all my holdings in one place, on one page. It's worked great but lately Yahoo has been radically changing the format, making it unusable. There are many complaints on user forums but of course Yahoo does not respond.

I've been able to temporarily view my portfolio in the old format by going to the Singapore and UK Yahoo sites, but I suspect these, too, will change.

Any ideas or suggestions for accessing the old Yahoo portfolio format? Or for a reasonable replacement? I'm not looking for something to actually link to my financial accounts, simply a place where I can manually enter holdings and see value, day change, total change, etc.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Re: NOTES -

From what I can tell, old notes on existing holdings are visible in the My Holdings View, but if you add a ne... (more)

pdichellis (May. 25, 2017 @ 6:13p) |

You can add notes for new holdings.  You need to expand the "add lot" in the My Holdings view.
I just wish I could view m... (more)

Zon (May. 25, 2017 @ 8:02p) |

Thank you for the "expand Add Lot" Notes tip, I will do that. Switching Views to see my Notes is a pain, but I set up a ... (more)

pdichellis (May. 25, 2017 @ 11:53p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Google portfolios instead? Or if you need something custom, build your own in Google Sheets. There's a function to pull market data in that's pretty easy to use.

rated:
I too used Yahoo Portfolios for years, downloading the portfolio to a spreadsheet.  A month or two ago the download format changed, or at least was messed up temporarily.  I switched to Google Portfolios then and haven't looked back.

Yahoo Finance was even my home page for a long time.  They really killed it.

rated:
I've tried Google portfolio, but it doesn't work for me. The biggest problem is that it will not allow multiple positions for the same fund. I.e., if I have FUSVX (Fidelity S&P 500) in my IRA and also in my after tax account, I want to track them separately, but Google rolls them together into one total. Am I missing something? Is there any way around this?

I'll take a look at Google Sheets, thanks.

rated:
You can have more than one portfolio.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   You can have more than one portfolio.
  Is there anyway to total up all portfolios? Or have a portfolio of portfolios?

rated:
I dunno. Try it and see

rated:
I'm still using Yahoo without any problems. I also use WikiInvest.

rated:
If anyone is reading this about Yahoo Portfolios, here's my conclusion after an afternoon futzing about fixing something that wasn't broken. I've created a Google Sheet that uses finance functions to pull in market data, just about replicating what I had in Yahoo. So far, so good.

TravelerMSY -- thanks for the tip about Google Sheets. Google Portfolios, however... I tried it a little bit and gave up, not worth my time.

Argyll -- enjoy it while it lasts. I fear that Yahoo is switching people over whether we like it or not. Do you like Wikinvest? I looked at the home page but didn't want to set up an account. My needs are very simple, as I only have holdings in mutual funds, not stocks or ETFs.

rated:
UncaMikey said:   If anyone is reading this about Yahoo Portfolios, here's my conclusion after an afternoon futzing about fixing something that wasn't broken. I've created a Google Sheet that uses finance functions to pull in market data, just about replicating what I had in Yahoo. So far, so good.

TravelerMSY -- thanks for the tip about Google Sheets. Google Portfolios, however... I tried it a little bit and gave up, not worth my time.

Argyll -- enjoy it while it lasts. I fear that Yahoo is switching people over whether we like it or not. Do you like Wikinvest? I looked at the home page but didn't want to set up an account. My needs are very simple, as I only have holdings in mutual funds, not stocks or ETFs.

I've been using Google Sheets in this capacity for years. Works great most of the time. Occasionally, it will get an error pulling quotes, but that typically doesn't last too long.

rated:
BostonOne said:   
  I've been using Google Sheets in this capacity for years. Works great most of the time. Occasionally, it will get an error pulling quotes, but that typically doesn't last too long.

I noticed little problems. I pulled in quotes for several funds and the closing price is correct for Friday, 4/28, but the "date" function returns Thursday 4/27 as the last calculated NAV. And one fund's price was off by a penny. Still, it will do, and it will be nice to not be dependent on Yahoo's silliness.

rated:
UncaMikey said:   

I saw they were experimenting a couple months ago but I've been on the original system and there haven't been any problems.  The problem with the other system is it deleted my notes.

WikiInvest seems to work well.  It links to your brokerage account.

rated:
I am completely fed up of the Yahoo new format too. In the old format, if I had 10 stocks in my portfolio, I would see the key news for those stocks. But nowdays, even the news is not shown properly. At least TD shows the news properly. I suspect that Google sheets as you guys are describing only pulls in the quotes - that is only half interesting - the news is the more interesting piece.

Wikiinvest definitely looks interesting.

rated:
Seeking Alpha is a decent site for portfolios. It also shows focused news.

rated:
Yeah, Yahoo is doing something dumb and breaking more stuff again this weekend.  I don't like Google for charts since they need flash and my mobile or tablet doesn't do a good job.  Simple charts, not weird interactive nonsense, was just fine, ie Yahoo's Basic Chart, but now those only work intermittently.  

The portfolio was decent for Yahoo, but they seem to have broken it and I couldn't find a workaround.  It was good since it gave only news for those stocks.  The new Yahoo did something terrible with their headline news in the last round of screw ups, mixing in lots of ads and screwing up the spacing and format.  You could still get the stock specific news in the old style, but not for a portfolio.

how do people like FinViz?  You have to pay for intraday charts, but it otherwise seems decent.

rated:
Yahoo decided to modernize their finance website. It has been killing and driving users away a lot. It is very sad. They used to have awesome stock screener. They have killed it.( MSN finance used have a screener that even better than yahoo but it was killed.)

Recently, they changed the stock discussion forum. It is endless. In my opinion google is not as comprehensive as Yahoo in terms of stocks. Especially foreign stocks.

I have found that excel with yahoo api or google sheets is best for portfolio tracking. No website has come close to giving a good interface for investors. Once you think about stock splits, dividends, spin-offs, mergers etc no one is good, you need manual changes to spreadsheets.

rated:
There were loads of complains in Yahoo user forums regarding this stupidest upgrade but the dumb interface prevailed. I never tried the google sheet as a replacement of Yahoo. What made yahoo great was targeted news about funds/stocks I like. I am still adjusting.

rated:
javaman2003 said:   Once you think about stock splits, dividends, spin-offs, mergers etc no one is good, you need manual changes to spreadsheets.

I  rely on TD to handle a lot of this stuff. Why bother tracking and splitting shares in some portfolio that TD has to maintain anyways for you.  All I use Yahoo is for tracking day to day movement  of stocks - trying to understand why something moved up big in either direction and if I want to sell or buy. With regards to dividends, somewhat critical to know ex-div dates - particularly if you are short calls. TD has some generic thingy that you can enable and they send you a ex-div notice for stocks in your portfolio.

rated:
What do people use for the top finance news (other than FWF?) that yahoo finance used to be? I can't stand yahoo anymore for anything they provide.

rated:
Some people in Yahoo management clearly don't know when to stop digging.  It's not like people aren't telling them to stop the dumb changes:

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/382977%C2%A0

rated:
Have you tried Morningstar.com?

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   
javaman2003 said:   Once you think about stock splits, dividends, spin-offs, mergers etc no one is good, you need manual changes to spreadsheets.

I  rely on TD to handle a lot of this stuff. Why bother tracking and splitting shares in some portfolio that TD has to maintain anyways for you.  All I use Yahoo is for tracking day to day movement  of stocks - trying to understand why something moved up big in either direction and if I want to sell or buy. With regards to dividends, somewhat critical to know ex-div dates - particularly if you are short calls. TD has some generic thingy that you can enable and they send you a ex-div notice for stocks in your portfolio.

I have had stocks that have done stock spin-offs. I can tell you even the brokers don't do cost basis or purchase date right. May be they have improved recently as per new requirements from IRS to report cost basis.

rated:
Yahoo changes stuff and they dont listen to their customers ?
Must be why they are industry leaders.

rated:
USA Today Money Portfolio Tracker let's you track a portfolio of portfolios from multiple investment firms such as Vanguard, et al.

rated:
yahoo totally killed their message board related to specific stocks as well. They had a simple forum per every ticker - worked fine. They replaced it with something so ugly - totally useless now. I wonder who designs their product ... how could they make a working solution to totally useless with upgrades.

rated:
The Singapore and UK Y! sites have now been updated to the new format, so there doesn't seem to be any way to view the old style portfolio.

rated:
javaman2003 said:   
PrincipalMember said:   

I have had stocks that have done stock spin-offs. I can tell you even the brokers don't do cost basis or purchase date right. May be they have improved recently as per new requirements from IRS to report cost basis.

They have it - as you nailed it - irs requirements. But they do dumb stuff too - i transferred my son's account to td and on the normal portfolio screen, all cost basis is zero. But if I look at profit/loss information, they have the correct information. I wish somebody would whack td on the head for this crap. 

rated:
UncaMikey said:   ... I've created a Google Sheet that uses finance functions to pull in market data, just about replicating what I had in Yahoo. So far, so good.... 
Would you mind posting a row of the finance functions you use? 
It'd save me a lot of time.  
Thanks! 

rated:
SendMeMoney said:   
UncaMikey said:   ... I've created a Google Sheet that uses finance functions to pull in market data, just about replicating what I had in Yahoo. So far, so good.... 
Thanks! 

It wasn't as hard as I feared. Here's the guide to Google finance functions I used:

googlefinance functions 

The functions vary whether you are tracking stocks/ETFs or mutual funds. To get the closing NAV of FUSVX , for example, just type this formula into a cell:

=GOOGLEFINANCE("FUSVX","price")

Then enter the number of shares you own in another cell, multiply the two and voila! you have the value of your position. There are also functions for change and pct change from previous day, etc.

rated:
UncaMikey said:   
SendMeMoney said:   
Thanks! 

It wasn't as hard as I feared. Here's the guide to Google finance functions I used:

googlefinance functions 

The functions vary whether you are tracking stocks/ETFs or mutual funds. To get the closing NAV of FUSVX , for example, just type this formula into a cell:

=GOOGLEFINANCE("FUSVX","price")

Then enter the number of shares you own in another cell, multiply the two and voila! you have the value of your position. There are also functions for change and pct change from previous day, etc.

Thanks, I'm making progress. One thing I'm having difficulty with is getting the time of the most recent quote. 
GOOGLEFINANCE($B$10, "tradetime" ) (where $B$10 points to the cell with the ticker symbol) gives both date and time which makes for a rather wide column.  I've been looking for a function that would convert the result to just the time portion ala Yahoo Finance.  

Any ideas? 

UPDATE: After fooling around a bit I've come to this: =RIGHT(GOOGLEFINANCE($B$10, "tradetime" ), 8) gives just the time. Unfortunately the result is in a 24 hour format.  Can you think of an easy way to convert to a 12 hour format? 

UPDATE2:  OK, this seems to work:  =TEXT(GOOGLEFINANCE($B$10, "tradetime" ), "hh:ss am/pm" )

Thanks

rated:
that happens on their mobile app

rated:
Yahoo finally did it to me. The new system is there. I complained about it immediately. I had it set up so my notes showed exactly how much I had invested and the yield on cost. It' s till there under Holdings but it's a pain to use now.

rated:
Does anyone understand a method for making Yahoo Finance portfolio calculate the correct lot value for UK holding whose price is expressed in pence. I am using the "Basic" view in which I have customised columns.

Before the recent update (end of April 2017) I was finding that this was now correctly done, but now after the update it is wrong and I am finding my portfolio is valued at over £58 million. Strangely, when I refresh the page the correct value appear for about one second, before being replaced with incorrect values.

rated:
Does anyone understand a method for causing Yahoo Finance portfolio to calculate the correct lot value for UK holdings whose prices are expressed in pence, not pounds? I am using the "Basic" view in which I have customised columns.

Before the recent update (end of April 2017) I was finding that this was correctly done, but now after the update it is wrong again, and I am finding my portfolio is valued at over £58 million. Strangely, when I refresh the page with F5 the correct values appear for about three seconds, before being replaced with incorrect values.

rated:
Who's the genius at Yahoo Finance who totally ruined the best portfolio tracker ever? At first I thought it was just a glitch and it would revert back but no, Yahoo had to go and ruin it. It is now a convoluted, useless 'tool'. A supreme example of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Idiots.

rated:
YES, I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHERE ARE ALL OF MY HOLDINGS ON THE YAHOO PORTFOLIO PAGE????   NOTES IS GONE.  ALMOST ALL OF MY RECORDS ARE GONE!!!!  WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MESS WITH WHAT WAS A PERFECT SYSTEM????  IN THE PAST, WHEN THIS HAPPENED, IT WAS RESTORED WITHIN A COUPLE OF DAYS.  NOT THIS TIME.  I'VE TRIED MANY OTHER PORTFOLIO TRACKERS BUT NONE WORK AS WELL AS YAHOO FINANCE DID.  PLEASE PUT IT BACK THE WAY IT WAS AND DO NOT SCREW IT UP AGAIN!!!!!!!!

rated:
UncaMikey said:   googlefinance functionsNice!
If anyone wants numbers like volume and market cap to appear in billions, millions, or thousands like they did on yahoo, apply the following custom number format:
[>999999999]0.0,,,\B;[>999999]0.0,,\M;0.0,\K
Took me a bit to find this and tweak it to support billions.

rated:
Notes on Yahoo portfolios are still available if you click Holdings.

rated:
scripta said:   Took me a bit to find this and tweak it to support billions.
  Glad your portfolio is doing so well

Skipping 17 Messages...
rated:
Thank you for the "expand Add Lot" Notes tip, I will do that. Switching Views to see my Notes is a pain, but I set up a new Custom view with everything I want (except notes, of course) so switching views is less trouble than switching portfolio trackers. (Maybe that's exactly what Yahoo figured when they made these changes. Gradually transferring all to Morningstar still seems like a good possibility.)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017