• filter:

'You Should Just Hang Up On IRS Collection Calls, Legitimate Or Not' (Forbes)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The linked Forbes blog post probably won't sit well with the FWF "pay your taxes, deadbeat" crowd -- of which I am a member -- but it's a pretty detailed & interesting discussion of the IRS collection process, the 10-year statute of limitations, and why the IRS'outsourcing to private debt collectors works to the (non) taxpayer's advantage.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2017/04/30/you-should-j...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
here is the golden nugget I guess?
And here is the beautiful part, from your viewpoint rather than that of good tax administration, the private collectors cannot do any of the nasty stuff that real IRS collection people can do. They can't do liens and levies which can make your life really miserable.

rated:
What won't sit well with me is a link to forbes. Adblocker detected, you cannot proceed. Please disable your adblocker so that we can serve you virus infected ads

rated:
I switched from adblock to ublock to avoid adblock detectors.

rated:
DrXX said:   I switched from adblock to ublock to avoid adblock detectors.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3G80bplTg

rated:
When I first saw your post, I thought you were referring to Forbes' article a couple of months ago about the woman suing IRS and Howard Stern for broadcasting her private conversation with an IRS agent live on Sirius radio.

See Accounting Today for entire article:  http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/taxpayer-sues-howard-stern-over-irs-phone-call-broadcast ):  
here is an excerpt:

"A taxpayer [Ms. Barrigas] whose private call with an Internal Revenue Service employee inadvertently aired live on Howard Stern’s Sirius XM radio show is now suing the shock jock, along with the federal government.... She reached IRS agent Jimmy Forsythe, who was on the other line calling into Stern’s radio show. Somehow the lines got crossed and listeners heard Forsythe’s conversation with Barrigas, while Stern and his co-host Robin Quivers joked about the call concerning Barrigas’s payment plan ...Barrigas’s phone number was announced during the call, and some of Stern’s listeners tried calling and texting her to let her know about her private call being aired

rated:
The IRS actually use to cold call people regarding their taxes.

I received one of these calls from an IRS representative maybe 10 years ago. An arrogant, belligerent guy gave me his IRS employee ID number and then demanded I provide my Social Security Number.

I said I had no idea who he was, that there was no way I'd give any caller my SS#, and if he was really from the IRS he needed to send me a letter. At that point he became irate and told me there was no way he was going send a letter and that I WAS going to give him my SS# whether I liked it or not.

It still makes me laugh to think about his sputtering outrage when I said I was hanging up and proceeded to do so.

(Two weeks later I received a letter from the same guy at the IRS.)

rated:
So many of these calls are fake, it just is better to wait for a letter.

rated:
Thanks for sharing the article.
This further confirms my belief that most people fear IRS unnecessarily. Unless you are not committing crime, there are more than one ways to settle issues with IRS amicably.

rated:
Sure, hang up on them.  The IRS will get the last laugh after they destroy your credit and the State Department revokes your passport.  I like my credit rating and I like to travel.  No thanks. 

rated:
Former coworker of mine was an IRS collection agent. He actually went and knocked on people's doors. He would tell people, "If you don't talk to me, we'll just take your (our) money out of your bank accounts." When they wouldn't talk to him, he would take their money. Then they would usually talk.

Moral of the story: If a real IRS agent says they are going to freeze your assets, you probably shouldn't hang up on them or close the door in their face.

rated:
Almost certainly your story is missing the letters the IRS also sent. They aren't taking money without multiple attempts to contact you.

rated:
dhodson said:   Almost certainly your story is missing the letters the IRS also sent. They aren't taking money without multiple attempts to contact you.
  Oh definitely. The agent knocking on the door was after several letters and phone calls.

rated:
meade18 said:   Former coworker of mine was an IRS collection agent. He actually went and knocked on people's doors. He would tell people, "If you don't talk to me, we'll just take your (our) money out of your bank accounts." When they wouldn't talk to him, he would take their money. Then they would usually talk.

Moral of the story: If a real IRS agent says they are going to freeze your assets, you probably shouldn't hang up on them or close the door in their face.

Surprising. Without a CDP notice and possibly a 6330 notice your former coworker was violating the law (in most circumstances). Maybe that's why the coworker was a revenue officer.

ETA: never mind, just saw your update

rated:
Sorry to confuse. The people my former coworker was dealing with were very aware of their situations with the IRS. They took this advice to the extreme.

This is reasonable advice for lots of people, but not the real tax cheats that the IRS are legitimately going after. These folks weren't that surprised when their bank accounts were drained.

rated:
LordKronos said:   What won't sit well with me is a link to forbes. Adblocker detected, you cannot proceed. Please disable your adblocker so that we can serve you virus infected ads

FYI - Forbes still works (and serves up an ad free experience) if you change your User Agent to GoogleBot. How to do so is an exercise to the reader.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017