Chase Credit Journey: Free TransUnion Credit Score (VantageScore 3.0), Even If You're Not a Chase Customer

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I searched but didn't see this posted. Despite the many sources of free credit scores currently, this seems worth mentioning as another option, given the major bank backing it, that you don't have to be a card holder, and some of the tools included. Whether the fact that it is TransUnion score is of value to you depends on what you're applying for...

Chase is offering free VantageScore Credit 3.0 Credit Score (based on TransUnion data) and other Credit Journey services free to everyone (you don't have to be a Chase customer to enroll and use the service). You can check your score and Credit Journey as often as you like.Credit Journey provides your VantageScore, refreshed weekly, a summary of your credit data from TransUnion, which information from your credit report is impacting (positive or negative) the calculation of your credit score, an interactive score simulator that estimates how certain credit decisions impact your score, and email alerts about critical changes to your credit report to help identify potential fraud.

https://creditcards.chase.com/free-credit-score

==============================================================================================

INTRODUCING CREDIT JOURNEY... GET YOUR CREDIT SCORE FOR FREE
Checking your score does not affect your credit.

Take control of your credit: Get unlimited access to your credit score and more. It's free, even if you're not a Chase customer.

• Free Credit Score: Get your VantageScore 3.0 credit score powered by TransUnion. It's free.
  • Weekly Updates: Your score refreshes weekly when you log in. Check as often as you'd like – it won't impact your score.
  • Score simulator: Find out how your score may be affected when you pay off debt, open new accounts and more.
  • Alerts: Get email alerts about critical changes to your credit report, helping you identify potential fraud.

Frequently asked questions 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seems to still be separate from the "Credit Dashboard" feature if you are an account holder. That's FICO Score 8 from Experian, mine is still from April 1. I'm not sure this one is worth any trouble for me.

SlimTim said:   Seems to still be separate from the "Credit Dashboard" feature if you are an account holder. That's FICO Score 8 from Experian, mine is still from April 1. I'm not sure this one is worth any trouble for me.
The best value, IMHO, is if you use the email alerts to monitor changes on your report for fraud (especially if you don't want to log in regularly to check your score), if you know you're applying for credit from a company that pulls from TU, and possibly the score simulator.

From the FAQs:

"I have a Chase Slate credit card. How is this different than my Slate Credit Dashboard?

In addition to the score that you can already access through your Slate Credit Dashboard, with Credit JourneySM you’ll get access to your VantageScore® 3.0 credit score from Transunion. For this reason, you may see two different scores in Credit JourneySM and your Slate Credit Dashboard. Credit JourneySM provides your VantageScore® 3.0 based on TransUnion data. Your Slate Credit Dashboard provides a different credit score based on Experian data.Chase and other lenders may use different credit scores and other types of information to make credit decisions. In addition, because the information reported on you and the calculation of the score can vary from credit bureau to credit bureau, it is possible for you to have different scores at each of the three credit reporting agencies – Experian, Equifax and TransUnion."

Errrrr you can't just login with your Chase account and have it work automatically? Sucks.

Is Chase just harvesting data or beta testing something?

The thing I like about Chase Journey is it gives more commentary about each FICO item. It is weekly and gives same TU info CK does, so you do not want to do both the same day.

Is this like Capital One CreditWise, minus the full report?

I've been paying $7/month to TrueCredit since it was a deal from Walmart eons ago. It used to be a 3-bureau credit score, monitoring, and report service but several years ago, they changed to TransUnion only. It sounds like Chase is offering the same service as TrueCredit but for free.

qcumber98 said:   I've been paying $7/month to TrueCredit since it was a deal from Walmart eons ago. It used to be a 3-bureau credit score, monitoring, and report service but several years ago, they changed to TransUnion only. It sounds like Chase is offering the same service as TrueCredit but for free.
 Except Chase only gives you a summary/truncated report of items most likely impacting your score. Nonetheless, I'm not sure getting a full credit report is worth paying  $7 a month, especially if you're getting email alerts about any new credit activity.

scripta said:   Is this like Capital One CreditWise, minus the full report?
  Essentially ..  Yes

I use and recommend those two to monitor your credit reports for free:

Credit Karma (www.creditkarma.com) to cover TransUnion & Equifax report (free update every 7 days, FAKO score)
Freecreditscore.com to cover Experian report (free update every 30 days, FICO Experian 8 score)

You get free email alert whenever there is a major change like new inquiry and account from those free services as well. I don't sign up for anything else, just more hassle to keep track. I do use CreditWise, or other free FICO service from Amex, BoA, Discover, etc. simply because I already logged in to check my account and just 1-click or 1-tap away (I don't use mint). The only thing missing from all those free reports is soft pulls, basically to tell who kept an eye on you, but won't effect you at all. Then there is the free full annual credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com to keep an eye on those who kept an eye on you, an eye for an eye just because you can!

qcumber98 said:   I've been paying $7/month to TrueCredit since it was a deal from Walmart eons ago. It used to be a 3-bureau credit score, monitoring, and report service but several years ago, they changed to TransUnion only. It sounds like Chase is offering the same service as TrueCredit but for free.
  The monitoring is still 3 bureau, and the 3 bureau pulls are monthly now (TU only is for dailiy). Assuming it's the $7.46/mo service.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017