• filter:

Help me with my "weird" move

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Knowing there are many more smart people here than I am, I ask for some help.

So let's say I have 20 small boxes 16x12x12 containing personal effects.  I need to send them from where I live current in "A" to "C" - about 1000 miles away.  I will leave "A" say in a month and go to "B" and spend 3 months there.  I don't need the things that need to go to "C".  After three months in "B" I will then move to "C".  What is the best way to make that move of personal goods while being mindful of cost and minimizing my hassle.

I have seen ship2storage.com and I guess that could work.  Ideally I would like to use my own UPS/FedEx account to send to some place near "C" and then have them delivered at my new place in "C" once I arrive about 3 months later.

Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Do you have anyone at "A" who can hold the boxes and ship them after three months?
Do you have anyone at "C" who can receive the boxes and hold them for three months?

rated:
How about getting the pods container? They will store it for you (same cost if you have container with you or with them) and then ship it to your destination.

rated:
upusama said:   Knowing there are many more smart people here than I am...So, how many smart people are you?

rated:
Since you have a UPS account I would contact them. Maybe they can ship from one UPS store to another and hold the packages there until you pick them up. They might be able to do this with UPS Freight.

rated:
My weird move has a counter-clockwise swirl at the end.

rated:
Hold for pickup is usually only 7 or 14 days and it goes back. Be careful.

Can you rent a storage unit at C and ship your packages to them? Alternatively, can you leave them at a friends house in A and just get UPS to pick them up when you're ready for them at C?

Also, is the stuff worth saving? The minimalist in me would say sell what you can and dump the rest. At least whatever doesn't fit in 2-3 suitcases that you can bring A-B-C. I'm assuming you're flying.

rated:
Those sound like really small boxes. If you could consolidate into 8 or so larger boxes I bet you might be able to find someone to hold them for you and then just ship at the end of 3 months' time.

rated:
No one in A or C to help me or hold them temporarily.

UPS said they only hold for a week.

rated:
Where's A and where's C? If either are near me, I have a garage and I'm sure we can work something out.

rated:
jaytrader said:   Where's A and where's C? If either are near me, I have a garage and I'm sure we can work something out.
  Make sure you aren't agreeing to storing dead bodies or drugs

rated:
The bodies are live - just not speaking.

rated:
upusama said:   The bodies are live - just not speaking.
  Are you shipping your gerbil collection?

rated:
fandu said:   How about getting the pods container? They will store it for you (same cost if you have container with you or with them) and then ship it to your destination.
Pods, uhaul storage boxes, door to door storage and college boxes were designed for this purpose.

rated:
OP, just ship the boxes with USPS. With their typical speeds, the boxes will arrive right as you're moving into place C.

rated:
I'm assuming normal movers and storage are too expensive, hence the request for workarounds.

rated:
Quikboy4 said:   OP, just ship the boxes with USPS. With their typical speeds, the boxes will arrive right as you're moving into place C.
  I've been tracking USPS and honestly they are much better. Goes across the US from CA to FL in 3 days...

Of course I had an item from Los Angeles to Orange county, took 3 days and tracking showed it going to the wrong location 3 times.

rated:
cherry3m said:   My weird move has a counter-clockwise swirl at the end.
My first thought reading the title was that as long as it does not include a knuckle, it's not that weird.

rated:
Have you priced out shipping them from A-B and B-C so they can go along with you? That's not a large amount of stuff.

Look at Greyhound also as they are cheap. Check out LTL (less than truckload) companies where you get a pallet, shrinkwrap all your boxes on it, then they pick up. U-ship has a lot of smaller transport companies and you can get a quote 'auction-style' by posting locations and sizes, and shippers bid on it.

Are you driving or flying? You can take some with you if flying.

If driving, maybe you can fit them in the car (take up the whole back seat for example), or you can rent a small u-haul trailer and pack it.

How far apart are A-B and B-C? Maybe you can find someone in your circle of friends who is driving to those cities for vacation/family visit/wedding/etc. You can offer them $$ to take your stuff for you. Car trunks go empty all the time, and lots of people drive giant SUV's.

If you are flying, consider renting a large car and driving.  Pack the car and go.  The cost of shipping and flying might be a lot, but it may turn out cheaper for rental car+gas and just take the stuff with you (no shipping cost). 

Find an independent mailbox type place and see if you can work out a deal.  Call the owner of a UPS store near your location, for example, and offer them say $100 to take 20 small boxes and stack them in a corner for 3 months.  They will likely do it (if they have the space it's easy money).

Ship to a friend nearby but not in the same city.  If you have friends an hour or two away, ship to them.  Then when you arrive, make a trip out to their place (or buy them something nice + take them for dinner, and have them deliver to you)

rated:
Option A) Pods
Option B) Storage at A till shipping to C
Option C) Ship to C immediately with storage

Lowest hassle is A) Pods or competitor.
Option B or C can be cheapest if you can get free/cheap storage at origin or destination (friend's garage/basement/shop). Then you just have to figure out the cheapest way to move all that stuff.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017