• filter:

MERRILL+ Visa Signature fraud and want me to go to their bank

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I just got the card recently and tried making some purchases at a grocery store, amount was $1009, did not go through. Tried using the card again after 24 hrs, still did not go through. Got a voicemail about fraud, called into speak with somebody, she said she could not verify me and would call me back. Never did. Got another automated voicemail and called in and had to verify transaction through automated attendant. Logged in online and it still showed account as blocked. Called in and was told by the representative that i needed to go into the bank to verify, and that until i did my card would not be usable. I told them it was super inconvenient that i cant even use the new card i just got. I asked them to show me online where it states a card member must leave their house and go to a bank in order to use their card, obviously they could not.

Has this ever happened to anybody?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
did you ask what was the reason and did you talk to different rep, this seems strange, talk to manager over the phone

rated:
Not with this particular card, but have happened with other cards when your first transaction on a brand new card is a lot of ice cream worth $1009. After the first denied transaction you tried to use it multiple times with the same type of transaction.

Tips for next time:
1. Do a few smaller transactions with a brand new card first. Then go for ice cream.
2. After first denied transaction, don't try again with the same card until you go home, call the bank and have them remove the fraud alert from the account. Trying "one more time" will only make it worse.

Believe me, this is for your own good in long run!

rated:
I actually do the exact opposite. I do a large 2 or 3k transaction right out the gate with my cards. I always assume that loosens the computer's algorithm and sets a pattern.

Otherwise your $5 purchase becomes the norm and you have the same problem when you eventually go bigger.

rated:
So, you got a new card, your first transaction was VERY unusual (>$1k at a grocery store), it was rejected, and then you tried again? If their fraud algorithm hadn't gone off, that would have been a fault on their end.

As for your point that "I asked them to show me online where it states a card member must leave their house and go to a bank in order to use their card," there's nothing obliging them not to cancel the account.

rated:
Yeah, I think getting in a huff over MS and asking for an exact description of how they might handle this scenario in writing is not the right play here.

I mean, I get pissed at every fraud alert on my daily spender and take out my frustration on the poor human who takes the call they demand of me. But I think I'd be a lot more polite with a transaction and card that I intended exclusively for exploit.

rated:
OP, it happened to Me when buying icecream in LARGE Qty ... at a chain grocery store with a BOA Alaska Credit Card - new card - 1st txn.
But, I didn't get pissed off like you. I knew I was doing MS to gain bonus ... so I kept my attitude to myself and tried it at a walmart next day for a small amount like $2...it failed.....then I waited for couple days and spoke to cust care ... they asked Qs and removed the flag .. whatever is their process to unblock they followed it and unblocked My Card.....it worked fine later....for MS...and I received the Bonus

rated:
I have about 20 cards and have never had to go into a location to verify my identity. That is the issue i am having not the actual fraud alert. I thought it was taken care of and is why i used it the 2nd time. I did not get pissed at any of the reps, i remained polite and respectful but i did stir the pot a little.

They refused to give me any information over the phone. I did speak to a supervisor and got nowhere.

rated:
xboxhaxorz said:   I have about 20 cards and have never had to go into a location to verify my identity. That is the issue i am having not the actual fraud alert. I thought it was taken care of and is why i used it the 2nd time. I did not get pissed at any of the reps, i remained polite and respectful but i did stir the pot a little.

They refused to give me any information over the phone. I did speak to a supervisor and got nowhere.

So, either (a) go into the location, or (b) cancel the card.  Really not hard. 

rated:
SOP for almost any Visa, MasterCard, AMEX or DiscoverCard. YMMV depending on a number of factors that you cannot see nor control. I assume you activated the card before trying to use it. At this point, it is doubtful anything can be done to change the instruction answer you have been given.

I could send you to another website that is full of situations as you describe, but that will not change your situation.

My background: 1993-2004 - Job Title Fraud Prevention for a national credit card processor handing a multitude of different credit cards.

rated:
I dont know the meaning of SOP?

So i stopped in the bank and called them, they asked to speak to the banker and verify me. Apparently, their system was the issue they approved me for a card without verifying information or something i did not get the full details, and no apologies were made. If i wasnt getting 50k bonus points i wouldnt even use this card anymore. To make matters worse even though the charge was denied and i did not get the product, they approved it so i have to dispute the transactions.

rated:
xboxhaxorz said:   I dont know the meaning of SOP?

So i stopped in the bank and called them, they asked to speak to the banker and verify me. Apparently, their system was the issue they approved me for a card without verifying information or something i did not get the full details, and no apologies were made. If i wasnt getting 50k bonus points i wouldnt even use this card anymore. To make matters worse even though the charge was denied and i did not get the product, they approved it so i have to dispute the transactions.

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

rated:
xboxhaxorz said:   I dont know the meaning of SOP?
BostonOne already answered it for you, but it had remained unanswered, what could you have possibly done to learn it?
http://bfy.tw/BbB5 

rated:
What if there is no branch near you? I live in Hawaii, closest BofA is probably 2,500 miles.

rated:
xboxhaxorz said:   Apparently, their system was the issue they approved me for a card without verifying information or something i did not get the full details, and no apologies were made. If i wasnt getting 50k bonus points i wouldnt even use this card anymore.

There were a lot of reports in the past couple months of BofA closing Merrill accounts right after they were opened, claiming that they weren't supposed to have been approved to begin with.
It might have something to do with the application link not being public, or maybe it happened to people who didn't have Merrill brokerage accounts, or maybe people who already had a lot of BofA credit cards (besides the Merrill card, BofA has also been closing cards for people who have more than 4 or so).

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   So, you got a new card, your first transaction was VERY unusual (>$1k at a grocery store), it was rejected, and then you tried again? If their fraud algorithm hadn't gone off, that would have been a fault on their end.

As for your point that "I asked them to show me online where it states a card member must leave their house and go to a bank in order to use their card," there's nothing obliging them not to cancel the account.

You mean "You cant make me" is not a good response to them wanting to confirm who you are?

rated:
So i called and spoke to a supervisor and requested that i receive 5000 points for the issues i experienced. They were applied to my account after she reviewed the notes.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017