New job

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello FWF,

I'm a 25 year old male and just now starting my professional career. I need help comparing a couple options:

Job 1- 61k salary, 5% match on 401k, 14 days PTO, decent health care ($80 per month)

Job 2- 70k salary, no 401k, 2 weeks vacation, worse insurance but 100% paid by employer for employee.

The jobs are identical as far as what I'll be doing. Any advice on which would be the better

Edit: I'd be able to max my 401k at Job 1.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Job 2 has no 401k match or no 401k at all? Does the amount of PTO go up with time at either one of these jobs?

Job 2.
At your age, it's highly unlikely you'll need a really good health insurance (unless you choose to do some really stupid stuff on your days off).
Rough estimate: 61K*.05-80*12=2090 < 70K-61K=9K
For job 2 is there no 401k or no match for 401K? You should be maxing out your retirement contribution either way, or at least putting 50% into it.

No 401k, much smaller company.

Job 1- 15 PTO days after 3 years, steps up every couple of years

Job 2- 3 weeks after 5 years

Still Job 2. You can max out IRA in the meantime and save money.

Any reason not to contribute to a Roth? I'd like to save a little on taxes, but like the benefits of the Roth. I've also learned that I can buy I-bonds tax deferred.

htownengineer said:   Any reason not to contribute to a Roth? I'd like to save a little on taxes, but like the benefits of the Roth. I've also learned that I can buy I-bonds tax deferred.
  You CAN, but why on Earth would you at your age?  Stocks, stocks, stocks!!!

raringvt said:   
htownengineer said:   Any reason not to contribute to a Roth? I'd like to save a little on taxes, but like the benefits of the Roth. I've also learned that I can buy I-bonds tax deferred.
  You CAN, but why on Earth would you at your age?  Stocks, stocks, stocks!!!

Nothing wrong with a 90/10 or even 80/20 stocks to bonds allocation.

Job 2 is worth ~10% more financially.

Is everything else equal? Same commute? Same hours? Same potential for advancement? Both look equally well on your resume? etc?
If job 2 has a 30 minute commute and job 1 is 20 minutes and they expect 5 hour hours a work from you in job 2 then its more of a wash as far as comp/hour.

Job 1 because someday when you're at Job 2 and hating it, I told you so.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017