• filter:

Thoughts on raising money?

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am a teacher and a coach at a Title 1 school. I have been trying to raise funds to buy some equipment for my basketball team, but have struggled to do so successfully. Are there any ideas or thoughts on how to secure funds in a legit manor? Thank you in advance.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
And yet, here we are. (I agree with you though.)

BingBlangBlaow (May. 09, 2017 @ 9:42p) |

In addition to the other suggestions, consider putting up an Amazon wish list. For me, that would be one of the simplest... (more)

taylor0987 (May. 15, 2017 @ 10:54a) |

Many business offer fundraising events, as well.

Dus10 (May. 15, 2017 @ 11:24a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
absolutely use donor's choose. schools use them all the time with great results.

rated:
a lot of companies have fundraisers for this exact purpose. When I was in school, I went d2d selling donuts and tickets to a department store's special sale event

rated:
Target local businesses for advertisement on banners, t-shirts, booths etc. That will be a quicker way to raise money than going door to door.

rated:
jacobsmith30 said:   I am a teacher and a coach at a Title 1 school. I have been trying to raise funds to buy some equipment for my basketball team, but have struggled to do so successfully. Are there any ideas or thoughts on how to secure funds in a legit manor? Thank you in advance.
I hope you're not an English teacher. I mean that in a legit manner

Seriously, I second the Donors Choose suggestion.
 

rated:
My bad on the spelling issue. Thank you to those suggestions. I have tried some of these with no luck, but will try again. I'm almost to the point of spending my own money on it, but it is a substantial amount and I already spend a lot of money on my kids as it is.

rated:
In my kids' schools, anything like this would be coordinated through the Boosters Club or the PTA.  Contact the presidents of both.

Otherwise, it would be the team itself selling discount cards, holding car washes, etc.

rated:
How much finding / equipment does a basketball team need?
Honest question, I don't know what they'd need other than a few basket balls and probably uniforms.


Since you're in a Title 1 school, I think it might help to expand/focus the fund raising efforts outside the school area. THe reason you're probably having more difficulty is that its a low income area and its harder to get money there.

Going to local business like suggested above is a good idea.

rated:
jerosen said:   


Since you're in a Title 1 school, I think it might help to expand/focus the fund raising efforts outside the school area. THe reason you're probably having more difficulty is that its a low income area and its harder to get money there.

Going to local business like suggested above is a good idea.


That's why the donors choose is perfect. You can put the link up anywhere, from your family and friends to publicly on Facebook, if you want (but recommend links stay local.) Funds can be contributed from anywhere. And sometimes, corporations match.

rated:
Car wash, group garage sale, etc...

rated:
Wow I have that same issue right now with my children's high school and it isn't a title 1.
Fund raising is always hard, the 'popular' parents usually can leverage businesses to contribute but if you are in a lesser 'activity' like band, it's hard no matter what kind of school you are in.

rated:
jacobsmith30 said:    I have been trying to raise funds to buy some equipment for my basketball team, but have struggled to do so successfully. 

Don't know what Title 1 means but what exactly do you need to raise funds for that a school wouldn't already have on the shelf for a basketball team?

rated:
atikovi said:   
jacobsmith30 said:    I have been trying to raise funds to buy some equipment for my basketball team, but have struggled to do so successfully. 

Don't know what Title 1 means but what exactly do you need to raise funds for that a school wouldn't already have on the shelf for a basketball team?

  Title 1 means most of the attendees come from low income families.

And just because they can afford a basketball team doesn't mean they have enough to go on trips / competitions, new equipment, repair damaged equipment, uniforms, etc
Most of those come from PTA's or local boosters.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
  Title 1 means most of the attendees come from low income families.

  Then wouldn't funds better be spent on academics that would help the kids and their families increase their income? Basketball is a fine PE activity but the chance that anybody gets to play for the NBA is slim.

rated:
atikovi said:   
Basketball is a fine PE activity but the chance that anybody gets to play for the NBA is slim.

  didn't keep FWF from suggesting it as a way to get wealthy

rated:
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
  Title 1 means most of the attendees come from low income families.

  Then wouldn't funds better be spent on academics that would help the kids and their families increase their income? Basketball is a fine PE activity but the chance that anybody gets to play for the NBA is slim.

  

I'd rather kids were playing sports than getting in trouble.   Basketball is a relatively inexpensive sport I'd think.

 

rated:
What about having the players hold a basketball clinic for younger kids. If you hit up your area elementary schools and the cost is fairly low per kid but you get a bunch of kids you could make quite a bit. Good luck.

rated:
the highest paid public employee in most states is a football or basketball coach. hit them up.

rated:
MDfive21 said:   the highest paid public employee in most states is a football or basketball coach. hit them up.
  But certainly  not the highest paid employee or wealthiest individual ... 

moreover, those coaches from self-sustaining programs are not paid from taxpayer funds but from ticket sales and other ancillary revenue

rated:
Wow I guess high schools really hire pros like this? I thought that was just college level.

rated:
jerosen said:   
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
  Title 1 means most of the attendees come from low income families.

  Then wouldn't funds better be spent on academics that would help the kids and their families increase their income? Basketball is a fine PE activity but the chance that anybody gets to play for the NBA is slim.

  

I'd rather kids were playing sports than getting in trouble.   Basketball is a relatively inexpensive sport I'd think.

 

  
And yet, here we are. (I agree with you though.)

rated:
In addition to the other suggestions, consider putting up an Amazon wish list. For me, that would be one of the simplest ways to donate. It feels more direct than giving money or buying some other object like cookies or magazines or whatever.

rated:
Many business offer fundraising events, as well.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017