• filter:

Buying car from Canada for use in US

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I live at the border between both the countries. As Canadian dollar is running low, is it worthwhile purchasing [Honda CRV-EX 2017) from there for driving it in USA? I under duty at the border is 2.5% while 2 individuals can buy duty free upto 400$ each making it no duty. Considering that the speedometer is now electronic, changing to miles is not difficult.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Not sure that anyone would want to do that with a new car, which is the objective of this thread...

canoeguy1 (May. 08, 2017 @ 12:11p) |

pietromoon (May. 08, 2017 @ 3:15p) |

All imported cars are supposed to meet USA safety and emission standards.  There was a 60 Minutes show about the process... (more)

JW10 (May. 08, 2017 @ 5:01p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
JB137 said:    As Canadian dollar is running low, .....

Man - I want to sell you the Brooklyn bridge. What do you mean by Canadian dollar is running low - why would we care without comparing the prices too? I have a suggestion - import it Japan - yen is really low compared to $ - each dollar is worth about 112 yen - much better differential in rate compared to the Canadian dollar.

rated:
What does the car cost in both countries? Are there any additional costs to import into the USA? Also, most likely you will incur sales/use/excise tax on the purchase (assuming that your state charges one).

rated:
There is a huge thread over on S D about this.

rated:
Make sure it will pass emissions...not sure if there's a difference in the Canadian models.  Same goes for registration - how much will your state charge you to register the vehicle, etc. once it's in the states?  Any implications with the title and all that other "stuff" that the dealership normally does for you needs to be taken into consideration.

rated:
Resale will be a bit tougher. We purchased a car in the US that was originally Canadian. Having Kilometers as the "big" numbers on the Speedo and for the odometer readout was a big turnoff to a number of people who looked at the car when we were selling it. Fortunately, it was a Subaru Legacy, so it did eventually sell as that car has almost a "cult-like" status. Someone drove down with a buddy from Colorado to buy it.

Also, keep in mind the US title/registration will have odometers not miles listed (same for CarFax, etc). WA and AZ would not convert for us, only took what the dash said.

rated:
JB137 said:   I live at the border between both the countries. 
  That doesn't make sense. The border is a line, you can't live between both countries.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourc...
https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines

rated:
tennis8363 said:   Resale will be a bit tougher. We purchased a car in the US that was originally Canadian. Having Kilometers as the "big" numbers on the Speedo and for the odometer readout was a big turnoff to a number of people who looked at the car when we were selling it. Fortunately, it was a Subaru Legacy, so it did eventually sell as that car has almost a "cult-like" status. Someone drove down with a buddy from Colorado to buy it.

Also, keep in mind the US title/registration will have odometers not miles listed (same for CarFax, etc). WA and AZ would not convert for us, only took what the dash said.

Mainly the US/CAN dealers refuse to honor warranty on foreign imported vehicles to discourage these sorts of shens.  It was particularly an issue with pickup trucks a few years ago.  It is fine if you live on the border and can drive over to a dealer in Canada.  Do a google search and you will find a lot of posts, try for specific models/brands -- make sure what you import has an identical US model too.  (just ask the guys with R33 and GTR Skylines that were crushed)

There is no reason you can't sell the vehicle back into Canada is there?  

rated:
string3599 said:   There is a huge thread over on S D about this.

What is S D?

rated:
margered said:   

What is S D?

I want to know too.

rated:
There was also a thread here at FatWallet some time ago in which the OP posted a lot of info about the process and paperwork.

rated:
Some
Last
Instead
Coffee
Kreamer

Don't
Everyone
Assume
Someone

rated:
What is the price difference?

rated:
insertfunnynamehere said:   Some
Last
Instead
Coffee
Kreamer

Don't
Everyone
Assume
Someone

That is correct.

rated:
There was an article a while back in CBC's Marketplace (search on YouTube under the "CBC News" account) that manufacturers KNOW about the price difference between the "looney" (that's how quite a few of their citizens call the Canadian Dollar) and the "buck" (at typing time it was ~ U$ 0.70 / C$ 1.00) and seriously discourage Canadians from buying cars from franchised US dealers in border towns across the country. As an example, Honda (it was mentioned by name in the particular segment) won't allow by their own regulations put into US franchise agreements US authorized dealers to make the paperwork necessary by Canadian citizens to export any of their vehicles up north. I'll suppose it may work that way the other way around as well.

The discount mostly works THE OTHER WAY AROUND, meaning it's most often CHEAPER for CANADIANS to buy in US and ship back north. This means Canadian-intended cars are sold MORE EXPENSIVELY in Canada than in US, along that sales tax is higher up north, like Québec's ~ 15% (Federal + Provincial) combined sales tax.

To OP, because of this you should check other US Honda dealers to see if the exactly equipped CR-V you're asking for can be (I assure you it will) found CHEAPER (this is what FW is for, anyways) on a US authorized dealer and forget about the hassle.

rated:
How long can a car with Canadian tags be in the US?
If you live that close, find a friend in Canada, he will "buy" it for you and register and insure etc and you will drive it in the US. Take it back for inspection annually if they have such a thing. When you want to sell it - take it back.
Is that an option?

rated:
Why doesn't anybody state the potential savings in relatively specific amounts? I mean how much is to be saved & how much rigamarole will it take? Otherwise it's just a WTH proposal.

rated:
Short answer - Really not worth the effort and unknown risks.

rated:
Maybe unable to register in your state, must meet US EPA, and sometimes even California emission standards, warranty, repairs, and resale could be a nightmare - not worth the risk unless you know what you are doing.

rated:
do they make better Crown Vics up there?

rated:
"Do they make better Crown Vics up there?"

Actually, ALL Crown Vics were made UP THERE in Ontario since 1985... (Google is your friend)

rated:
I imported a used car from Canada approx 15 years ago. No issue at all. It was a Saturn. I got a letter from the manufacturer stating that it met US requirements, and that was it. The letter only took a phone call to obtain.

Toyota recently tried to throw up roadblocks by refusing to provide that letter to US buyers of new Canadian cars, but they were forced to back down. As far as I know, all manufacturers will now provide the necessary paperwork.

Warranty is a different story.

Do remember the high VAT (HST) rate in Canada. That will take approx 15% out of your pocket right there. Given that the difference between the US dollar and CAD dollar is approx 25%, that doesn't leave you much room for getting a better deal.
You MAY be able to get a refund of the HST at the border. I haven't looked into that.

I resold my Saturn with no issue (private sale). I simply pointed out to the potential buyer that the odometer read kilometers instead of miles.

rated:
Just imported used car for my son in NJ from his grandpa in Canadia.  Car didn't have DOT sticker, but EPA sticker.  Couldn't get customs to stamp paperwork at border.  Had to get letter from VW.  On Friday, went to NJ customs office and they stamped all the paperwork.  Now have to mail to state motor vehicle agency to get titled.  A lot of work if you don't know.  Probably works out.

rated:
kl001 said:   How long can a car with Canadian tags be in the US?
If you live that close, find a friend in Canada, he will "buy" it for you and register and insure etc and you will drive it in the US. Take it back for inspection annually if they have such a thing. When you want to sell it - take it back.
Is that an option?

More than 20 years ago, I went into Canada.  I borrowed my sister's car and drove down to Buffalo from Ste. Catherine's, Ontario.  At the border, I was asked for proof that I have the right to drive the car.  They ask this because they don't want a car to be stolen in Canada, driven and sold in the US.

I was forced to drive back to my sister's home without entering the US.

rated:
vivichellappa: This depends on the person at the border. I have lived in US and Canada and had to take my father in laws car from Canada to US for a few days. All I was asked at the border was whose car is it and why are you driving it.

rated:
JB137: I have imported cars to Canada and to the US in the past. In 2011 when Canadian Dollar was stronger, I imported 3 cars to Canada, the process was relatively simpler and on the CIBC website. I also imported the same cars to the US in 2012 when I moved back and the stickers on the cars were enough to suffice.

Fast forward 2016, my father in law wanted to sell his 2009 Pacifica and asked us if we wanted to keep it. In order for me to import the car, I needed a letter from Chrysler which they refused to give, stating either a transporter has to request it, or I should have owned the car for 6 months. Needless to say it was a PITA.

I had my eye on a 2011 Infiniti M37X which was a lot cheaper in Canada. Nissan had no issues giving me the letter and border was a breeze. So it depends on the car manufacturer. Some really good deals can be had if you know what you are looking for. Good luck!

rated:
I’ve imported two cars from Canada. A 1991 Pontiac Firefly convertible in 2006 and a 2005 Smart Diesel in 2009. On both I removed the engines and towed them across the border because that way they consider it as parts, not as cars. Put the engines back in at home and drove them to Florida to get them titled.

rated:
atikovi said:   I’ve imported two cars from Canada. A 1991 Pontiac Firefly convertible in 2006 and a 2005 Smart Diesel in 2009. On both I removed the engines and towed them across the border because that way they consider it as parts, not as cars. Put the engines back in at home and drove them to Florida to get them titled.
  Not sure that anyone would want to do that with a new car, which is the objective of this thread...

rated:

rated:
All imported cars are supposed to meet USA safety and emission standards.  There was a 60 Minutes show about the process and costs.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017