• filter:

French presidential election / stock market

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Macron handily wins French presidential election—an upbeat sign for the stock market.

The euro EURUSD, +0.1183% jumped 0.3% to $1.1029, compared with $1.099 late Friday in New York.

Centrist candidate Emmanuel Macron has won the French presidential election with 65.5% of the votes, against 34.5% for rival Marine Le Pen, according to early exit-polling estimates from Kantar-Sofres, with about 50% of the votes tallied.

Le candidat d'En Marche ! devient le huitième président de la Ve République avec 65,5 % des voix, battant largement Marine Le Pen.

I know many people [like my sister] did not vote FOR Macron - but AGAINST Le Pen.

Remind you of something ??? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
The result was expected. If somehow the opposite happened things probably would go haywire as one of the two strongest countries in the EU and eurozone would have elected an anti-EU President.

I don't know the future but Brexit and Trump hasn't turned out to be a trend.

rated:
Ever heard of irony??  Suggest you study up on more ahem meaningful studies of politics than huffpo.

rated:
manuel said:   Ever heard of irony??  Suggest you study up on more ahem meaningful studies of politics than huffpo.
  Did you mean sarcasm? Oh, the irony. 

rated:
reminds me of one of your past president who said:

" French is such a poor language that it does not have a word for entrepreneur "

no irony - no sarcasm: he really meant it. 

rated:
Futures look flat, seems to be mostly priced.  I thought there was a chance Le Pen would do better (and still not win), so this is probably some relief for the European markets, short term volatility, etc.  Maybe mildly positive, maybe nothing.

rated:
mikebeets said:   reminds me of one of your past president who said:

" French is such a poor language that it does not have a word for entrepreneur "

no irony - no sarcasm: he really meant it. 

He didn't actually say that

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.asp

rated:
thought market would be up a little .. but no impact - seems priced in.

rated:
mikebeets said:   reminds me of one of your past president who said:

being an entrepreneur means you don't have any corners to hide in

rated:
prozario said:   thought market would be up a little .. but no impact - seems priced in.https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/6743-gbp-to-eur-exchange-r...

rated:
California's GDP is bigger than France's w/ about 40% less people. Texas's GDP is about 2/3 the size of France despite having 1/3 the population. Texas is bigger in land area than France. France is an insignificant driver in the world economy.

rated:
lonestarguy said:   California's GDP is bigger than France's w/ about 40% less people. Texas's GDP is about 2/3 the size of France despite having 1/3 the population. Texas is bigger in land area than France. France is an insignificant driver in the world economy.
Still rather vacation in France than texas

rated:
lonestarguy said:   California's GDP is bigger than France's w/ about 40% less people. Texas's GDP is about 2/3 the size of France despite having 1/3 the population. Texas is bigger in land area than France. France is an insignificant driver in the world economy.
  But the EU is a huge player, and not having one of its key members be run by a Nazi is definitely a plus.

rated:
Generally don't mix politics with investments, and don't take predictions too seriously, i.e. notice that Britain's markets have done well since Brexit, or when some bond rating companies downgraded the credit rating of the US, the dollar didn't drop but instead rose.  Ignore the pundits on Fox Business, CNBC, and NBR.  If you have to take anyone on TV seriously, maybe it's the guests on WealthTrack.com.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017