Using Business for Pleasure - CC w/points - recommendations?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We have a business that books about $10,000 weekly through Orbitz for flights for our crews.  Due to the amount of travel, we have anough airline miles for our family of 7 to go anywhere in the world round trip, first class.  (Whoo hooo).

We have been blessed, structured and disciplined to be a cash-based business, but I want thinking of maybe getting a rewards based credit card to book our travel vs. just using our debit card through our account.  The added benefit would be using the points to pay for our hotel stays when we travel (looking at doing Hawaii, Italy or Australia for a month).

Orbitz rewards credit cards looks very cool, but I don't know what you could do with all the hotel points (can I sell or trade them at some point without the liability for room damage??).  

I believe my credit score is over 650...  I haven't pulled it in over a decade, but all that is there is paid off mortgage and vehicle loans w/no lates; only active thing is a cc we use for business expenses that is paid off weekly.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

At that level- you should definitely be enrolled in the airlines' various booking and rewards programs for small businesses. American Business ExtrAA, etc, Southwest SWAbiz, etc. If you can commit to a single carrier, 500k annual might get you some love from airline marketing as well.

There are plenty of cards that bonus travel. Unless you were getting a cash discount- you've been leaving 1-5x in points on the table for that spend. I'll leave it to the others here to recommend a specific card. Each of the major issuers has a premium card that gives at least 3x on air/hotel. Due to the scale- I'd want to probably collect bank points (Amex MR, Chase UR, Citi TYP) rather than individual program points, since they are more flexible and not limited to a single rewards program.

Maybe apply for a business card.  Alternatively, do something that shows some activity in your personal credit.  FICO  650 can get denied for lack of active credit.  What is your home base (City and State) ?  You may be wise to go talk to your own banker. 

Otherwise
Doctor of Credit website 

Is there a reason you're booking through Orbitz and not directly, or with another website?

lotusgardener said:   Is there a reason you're booking through Orbitz and not directly, or with another website?
  Probably to get "Orbitz" point assigned to the account rather than airline point to the actual flyer. 

Congrats on the successful business!

I would definitely look into a rewards card. You are forgoing $520,000 in charges which at 2% on the capital one reward cards is $10,400. That would be on the low end. I am sure there are cards that would give you 3-5 points per $1 spent. I'm not familiar with booking flights for OTHER people, but don't THEY accrue the points and not you? I assume your crew isn't you personally. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017