• filter:

Do I need rental insurance if using credit card?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Do you guys get the added rental insurance if you are using a credit card that provides car rental insurance?  I have the Citi Double Card, Amex Blue and Costco Visa - so could use any of these I think.

Is the credit card insurance good enough?  I know with the car rental insurance it's no questions asked you just drop off no matter the condition of the car (happened to me once).  Is it a hassle to go through the credit card to get insurance?  I certainly do not want to go through my own auto insurance if anything were to happen.

TIA.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If your credit union outsources its credit card benefits to "Travel Advantage", "Advantage Membership", CardEnhancements... (more)

mapen (May. 28, 2017 @ 2:32p) |

Yes primary coverage, but important to note no medical coverage at all on Chase Sapphire Reserve.

tyguide (Aug. 03, 2017 @ 3:23p) |

Gotta reiterate this: your card does not cover damage you to do anything besides your own rental. If you hit someone els... (more)

linglingfool (Aug. 03, 2017 @ 9:46p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
you will want cc insurance that is primary coverage, ie you can use it before your insurance . I use Chase sapphire. It was pretty easy when I backed up into a bollard in hawaii. Submit some paperwork and they send payment directly to rental co

rated:
Most cards only offer secondary protection, which means it has to go through your insurance, and they typically cover the deductible. A few have primary coverage, but I dont recall them, I am sure someone will post which ones do.

rated:
Most credit card insurance is Secondary, if your personal insurance is valid where you are renting.  The only thing Secondary coverage provides is paying your personal insurance deductible.

Some credit cards provide Primary coverage when renting outside your country of residence.  Yet other cards are Primary regardless (some excluding Ireland, N. Ireland, Jamaica, Italy, etc).

And there is Premium coverage that can be added for Amex ($15 - $25???).  Your AMEX must be enrolled for Premium coverage prior to your rental and it is automatically added for all rentals going forward.

Edit:  Typing while thinking is a slow process.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Most credit card insurance is Secondary, if your personal insurance is valid where you are renting.  The only thing Secondary coverage provides is paying your personal insurance deductible.

Other credit cards provide Primary coverage when renting outside your country of residence.  Yet other cards are Primary regardless (some excluding Ireland, N. Ireland, Jamaica, Italy, etc).

And there is Premium coverage that can be added for Amex ($15 - $25???).  Your AMEX must be enrolled for Premium coverage prior to your rental and it is automatically added for all rentals going forward.

Thanks - do you know if the Premium coverage on the Amex is considered primary?

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   Thanks - do you know if the Premium coverage on the Amex is considered primary?Yes, and the fee is for the entire rental (up to ??? days).

rated:
Thanks for all replies. It might be easier just to pony up the $119 for LDW.

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   Thanks for all replies. It might be easier just to pony up the $119 for LDW.
Saapgire is an excellent all around card with $89af

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   Thanks for all replies. It might be easier just to pony up the $119 for LDW.Based on your current CC portfolio, I would enroll in AMEX Premium coverage and charge the rental to AMEX Blue. $15 - $25 (depends on your state and level of liability) < $119.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   Saapgire is an excellent all around card with $89afSapphire Preferred AF is currently $95 (first year waived). To me, it is well worth the AF just for the coverage in Ireland / N. Ireland. Saved $$$$ by not having to buy CDW/Super Cover on a 16 day rental last Sept. Will save more $$$$ for a 14 day rental this month.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
rufflesinc said:   Saapgire is an excellent all around card with $89af
Sapphire Preferred AF is currently $95 (first year waived). To me, it is well worth the AF just for the coverage in Ireland / N. Ireland. Saved $$$$ by not having to buy CDW /Super Cover on a 16 day rental last Sept. Will save more $$$$ for a 14 day rental this month.

So you are saying the Sapphire protection that is included with the card is the same as Amex premium coverage?  I like amex for longer trips but for 1-2 days the $20 fee makes a cheap rental not so cheap.

rated:
Sapphire Reserve is primary at no additional cost.

rated:
Pretty sure my Capital One Spark card has primary insurance since I don't have comp and collision on my regular policy.

rated:
atikovi said:   Pretty sure my Capital One Spark card has primary insurance since I don't have comp and collision on my regular policy.

Any credit card coverage is primary if you don't have that coverage yourself.  

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Xnarg1 said:   Thanks - do you know if the Premium coverage on the Amex is considered primary?
Yes, and the fee is for the entire rental (up to ??? days).

If you need additional coverage over what you have, AMEX is the best way to go. Primary for damage to or theft of the rental vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with AMEX first as your primary provider.
https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do
$12.25 - $24.95 per rental covers up to 42 days.
Most car rental companies will charge you that much per day.

you must enroll in advance, and pay for the rental with the enrolled card.

rated:
imbatman said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Xnarg1 said:   Thanks - do you know if the Premium coverage on the Amex is considered primary?
Yes, and the fee is for the entire rental (up to ??? days).

If you need additional coverage over what you have, AMEX is the best way to go. Primary for damage to or theft of the rental vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with AMEX first as your primary provider.
https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do 
$12.25 - $24.95 per rental covers up to 42 days.

Why is that? If you rent more than once per year.... The CSR includes primary coverage at no additional fee.  PLUS it pays 3% cash or 4.5%+ in rewards on the rental itself.  The $150 net fee would be 6-12 rentals ignoring the large rebate on the rentals and other card benefits. Just two $300 rentals would yield a rebate worth $27 plus you'd pay 25-$50 less for Amex's individual rental charges.  That's half of the annual fee right there in 2 rentals.

sapphire preferred has primary for only $99 fee but with lower coverage amounts (not sure how the covered amounts/exclusions compare with amex better/worse)

rated:
Here's the FWF way to do it

1) Enroll in Amex Premium car rental insurance.
2) Use the Amex when you pick up the car.
3) If there are no damages when you return the car, switch to another card that pays 5% cashback on car rentals.

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   
3) If there are no damages when you return the car, switch to another card that pays 5% cashback on car rentals.

How do you do that, I pull the car into the line, the guy just prints me a receipt and says have a nice day.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   
atikovi said:   Pretty sure my Capital One Spark card has primary insurance since I don't have comp and collision on my regular policy.

So if you don't have auto insurance, there's no difference between primary and secondary coverage? 

rated:
marginoferror said:   
cestmoi123 said:   

So if you don't have auto insurance, there's no difference between primary and secondary coverage? 

No difference.  Because there's nothing for the secondary coverage to be secondary to.  

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   Here's the FWF way to do it

FWF way is about saving money and NOT about having the coverage and not paying for it. What you describe is the deadbeat way.

rated:
seawolf21 said:   

FWF way is about saving money and NOT about having the coverage and not paying for it. What you describe is the deadbeat way.

amex premium ins has a fee , paid before the car rental

rated:
marginoferror said:   
cestmoi123 said:   

I do have auto insurance, a commercial policy actually, but it's just liability. And I also have three separate collector car policies but doubt they cover rental cars.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
seawolf21 said:   

At least at Hertz, they only authorize the card when you pick up. When you return the car, you have the option to pay with another CC.

rated:
seawolf21 said:   

Sure, pay for the Amex Premium coverage then.

rated:
Make sure the Credit Card insurance covers Loss of Service and Admin fee's or you could get screwed!

rated:
Last time i had to use it my CC was secondary. I never knew about primary. Thanks for the heads up! I have the CSR and the $450 fee is looking better and better. 

rated:
Any knowledge out there about whether this covers a points rental? I've got a car at SFO in late June with ThankYou points, and wondering what I should do about insurance!

rated:
ChrisDarland said:   Any knowledge out there about whether this covers a points rental? I've got a car at SFO in late June with ThankYou points, and wondering what I should do about insurance!
  you'll need to pay at least some part with a CC, even $1

rated:
ChrisDarland said:   Any knowledge out there about whether this covers a points rental? I've got a car at SFO in late June with ThankYou points, and wondering what I should do about insurance!
  You should check with Citi, but I believe that, if you use a Citi card for a rental with ThankYou points, that rental is covered.  That's certainly how it works with Chase and UR points. 

rated:
just use your own insurance,,your still going to be on record as having an accident if you use the renters insurance...ins companys use your record to determine rates...

rated:
The rental company will tell you if you have damage just don't report it to your insurance company because their insurance is primary. That's probably fraud and if your insurance company finds out (most will regularly pull your accident records from that state) you will probably not get renewed and now you're in the high risk pool (think 2-4X normal rates). Best to report it and give your side of the story. Rental coverage is a very bad deal. It isn't valid if you are given a ticket arising out of the accident and your credit card insurance isn't valid because you didn't decline the rental company's coverage.

rated:
trumpotron said:   just use your own insurance,,your still going to be on record as having an accident if you use the renters insurance...ins companys use your record to determine rates...
Not all damage to rental car requires a police report

rated:
rufflesinc said:   seawolf21 said:   

The premium for Amex premium rental is charged after the car rental transaction posts on the account.

What RussellJohnson describes is to explicitly have coverage provided by Amex premium rental during rental and if no damage change the payment to another card so that AMEX never charges the premium for the coverage he took advantage of because the charge for the car rental itself never hits the AMEX card.

RussellJohnson Is essentially driving up the costs for the coverage for the rest of us who deal in good faith.

rated:
Amex coverage is dumb, they should bake it into annual fee like Chase Sapphire. Or make it separate from the rental charge

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Xnarg1 said:   Thanks for all replies. It might be easier just to pony up the $119 for LDW.
Based on your current CC portfolio, I would enroll in AMEX Premium coverage and charge the rental to AMEX Blue. $15 - $25 (depends on your state and level of liability) < $119.

Yes, this is what I ended up doing.  Thanks for the tips.

rated:
dirtrat said:   Make sure the Credit Card insurance covers Loss of Service and Admin fee's or you could get screwed!

yes, which credit cards cover "loss of use" without requiring you or the rental company to provide proof that their fleet was fully utilized?

normally rental companies consider that proprietary and refuse to share, which means you're paying for any loss of use charges out of pocket.

rated:
dirtrat said:   Make sure the Credit Card insurance covers Loss of Service and Admin fee's or you could get screwed!
  Yup, the sample AmEx contract states it covers Loss of Use and a bunch of charges: "charges related to the Rental Car subsequent to the Accident", not sure if this is what you mean but the contract didn't expand on what is in the quotes.

What's weird is that AmEx says for claims it requires a police report... so if a rock cracks the windshield then I'll need a police report to file a claim?

rated:
I did not see this mentioned yet.

I believe with Chase Sapphire, you actually have to deny the rental agency coverage to be covered by the credit card.

Skipping 17 Messages...
rated:
rooms222 said:   If you don't have auto insurance, in some states, you will need to buy liability insurance as they have passed laws that the liability insurance does not apply to you. This is an issue in California and Texas. From Avis ' FAQ: Exceptions:

CALIFORNIA: Automobile Liability and Property Damage Protection is not included in the rental rate. The customer may provide automobile liability insurance through a personal insurance policy or may purchase Additional Liability Insurance.

TEXAS: Automobile Liability and Property Damage Protection is not included in the rental rate. The customer may provide automobile liability insurance through a personal insurance policy or may purchase Texas Automobile Rental Liability Insurance.

Note that liability is generally the State minimum in most other states (as low as $10,000) and that if you rent with a non-US driver's license, they may provide liability coverage in these states. I believe Hertz specifically says that they will. Liability is often included in reservations made from non-US websites, not sure if it applies to US drivers making reservations through those sites.

Gotta reiterate this: your card does not cover damage you to do anything besides your own rental. If you hit someone else, you will be on the hook for their damage.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017