How new eBay policy change 5/10 would affect your activities there

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
At eBay, we strive to make our policies clear and our services easy to use. As part of that commitment, we’re announcing some changes to the eBay User Agreement

Our updated User Agreement will take effect on May 9, 2017 for new users and on June 20, 2017 for all other users. The updated User Agreement was posted on eBay.com on May 9, 2017.

Key updates to the eBay User Agreement:

• We've made it clearer how we address attempts to bypass our policy on Offers to buy or sell outside eBay

• We may scan and block member-to-member messages sent through our platform to prevent fraud or violations of our polcies.

• We may automatically renew your fixed-price listings unless your listing sells out or you cancel your listing.

• If you use our product catalog information in your listing, we may update this information in your listing when we update our catalog.

• We've made some changes to our company structure that are reflected in the eBay entities you are contracting with when using eBay.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If you sell on eBay you accept returns for 30 days via their eBay Money Back Guarantee for most items regardless of what... (more)

realjones (May. 13, 2017 @ 9:41a) |

I just cancelled an item I had for sale after seeing what it cost me to sell the last one on eBay. I got the notice of ... (more)

bobluciano (May. 13, 2017 @ 2:33p) |

I had a buyer ask me for the original reciept because he wanted to use the warranty. I was unable to actually get him th... (more)

tedteddy (May. 25, 2017 @ 2:18p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So per #2 they will (likely silently) possibly suppress any of your messages to others that they deem fit to suppress without revealing why or whether.  I suppose since they can.

Amazon has been tweaking messages for a long time (as a seller). Try to send any kind of contact info and it is stripped.

Is the problem that you don't like eBay censoring communication?

No more "xyz google mail" in messages.

You can search for me at myspecialname at the largest search engine, not at eBay.com

Totally fine with it. As both a buyer and seller, I want eBay to know about all elements of the transaction, maximizes the probability that, if the other party tries to screw me, eBay will know what's going on.

cestmoi123 said:   Totally fine with it. As both a buyer and seller, I want eBay to know about all elements of the transaction, maximizes the probability that, if the other party tries to screw me, eBay will know what's going on.
  Great as a buyer. As a seller, well, you will still get screwed.

cestmoi123 said:   Totally fine with it. As both a buyer and seller, I want eBay to know about all elements of the transaction, maximizes the probability that, if the other party tries to screw me, eBay will know what's going on.

When in the role of seller, eBay isn't likely to side with you no matter how strong your audit trail may be...I'm sure that's not changing.

mikk1 said:   

When in the role of seller, eBay isn't likely to side with you no matter how strong your audit trail may be...I'm sure that's not changing.

True, but this doesn't change that, and, as a seller, I'd never want to communicate outside of the eBay platform in any case.  

I'm not a serious seller, but I've sold several dozen items on eBay over the years (including some relatively high ticket items), and never had a problem. 

I'm not so cool with automatic relisting stuff for sale. I quit.

mikk1 said:   

When in the role of seller, eBay isn't likely to side with you no matter how strong your audit trail may be...I'm sure that's not changing.

Tell me about it.  I do about $100k a year on eBay, selling a boring clothing item made by a large company and have a 99.5% feedback rating.  Every month or so I have a customer claim an item is defective instead of being the wrong size so they can get out of paying return shipping and restocking fees.  I've lost every single time I've contested this with eBay, even when I have emails from the customer saying the item doesn't fit.  I no longer even try anymore, since eBay penalizes you every time you ask them to step in and they find against you.  Can't wait to be done with them.

Moral of the story, if you buy something on eBay and you have buyer's remorse just say it's defective.  You'll win every time.

Dynastar454 said:   
Moral of the story, if you buy something on eBay and you have buyer's remorse just say it's defective.  You'll win every time.

Good lord, don't give them any ideas!!!  I am a small seller and this has happened to me twice.

I just had my very first dispute as a seller. The buyer was a complete pain in the neck and sent in the neighborhood of 50 questions, basically asking me to be tech support for an item he didn't know how to use. The auction clearly said the item was used and there were no refunds. He stated in his reason for return "I just changed my mind." eBay ruled the item was defective and I ate the shipping. Makes me hesitate to keep selling there for sure. When you add up the fees, and factor in the chance of getting screwed, I'm not sure it's worth the risk anymore.

drodge said:   I just had my very first dispute as a seller. The buyer was a complete pain in the neck and sent in the neighborhood of 50 questions, basically asking me to be tech support for an item he didn't know how to use. The auction clearly said the item was used and there were no refunds. He stated in his reason for return "I just changed my mind." eBay ruled the item was defective and I ate the shipping. Makes me hesitate to keep selling there for sure. When you add up the fees, and factor in the chance of getting screwed, I'm not sure it's worth the risk anymore.

Welcome to the world of online sales. Just about every company out there has liberal return policies. That includes companies like Amazon
It's the cost of doing business. You simply factor it into your pricing. Every now and then, you'll hit a dud and have to eat return shipping. It happens to every other seller as well, so you're at no disadvantage if you raise your price to cover the risk. The real problem is determining how high that risk is, so that you can properly adjust the price without killing your profits or over-pricing the item.

"No returns, no refund" should not even be an option on eBay, because sellers can purposely purposely send  broken equipment, and expect the buyer to eat the loss.

If im not selling full time long term and just have stuff to off-load, is there a service that would buy it in a lump at a discount?

eBay is a losing proposition as a seller unless you happen upon some practically free crap that sells for a high price there. And even then you'll pay 20% in fees.

20%? 

More like 13% for eBay and PayPal.

sfchris said:   eBay is a losing proposition as a seller unless you happen upon some practically free crap that sells for a high price there. And even then you'll pay 20% in fees.
  Your buyer doesn't have to pay sales tax on the purchase (as far as I know), so you can increase your price accordingly compared to the competition from large retailers.. Taking that into account, the true cost of the fees is around 6-8%. Now take out the credit card charges that you would have to pay anyway, and fees for use of the eBay storefront are around 4-6%. 
Compared to opening your own online store, paying someone to create a website, doing marketing and ads to get customers to even see your merchandise, etc. that's not a bad deal.

eBay, for most people, is not about selling other people's stuff at a huge markup. It's about getting rid of stuff you don't want/need anymore, and getting some money for it.

The biggest problem I see with eBay now is that it's flooded with tons of vastly overpriced items that will probably never sell. Sellers seem to just buy stuff from a retailer, put a huge markup on it, and hope some suckers buy a small percentage of it. It's really polluting the site and makes it very difficult to see real deals. eBay should really crack down on that, by making it financially painful to list items that probably won't sell because they're priced way above retail value.

eBay wants to just become a place for merchants. It doesn't care about individuals/auctions anymore. It sucks since I used to be able to find retro stuff, but that's becoming harder and harder every day.
And as with craigslist, it's become a haven for crooks, careless, mean, dishonest, and all around bad people.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are more China based sellers on eBay now than USA based. Anyone know?

tennis8363 said:   20%? 

More like 13% for eBay and PayPal.

And then you add in shipping which you don't take a cut from, but eBay & paypal still do.

Slickone said:   eBay wants to just become a place for merchants. It doesn't care about individuals/auctions anymore. It sucks since I used to be able to find retro stuff, but that's becoming harder and harder every day.
And as with craigslist, it's become a haven for crooks, careless, mean, dishonest, and all around bad people.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are more China based sellers on eBay now than USA based. Anyone know?

eBay is trying to model itself into an online store - I have so many people buy things and then immediately cancel like I am Amazon or something.  30 cents to paypal each time.

Dynastar454 said:   Moral of the story, if you buy something on eBay and you have buyer's remorse just say it's defective.  You'll win every time.
drodge said:   I just had my very first dispute as a seller. The buyer was a complete pain in the neck and sent in the neighborhood of 50 questions, basically asking me to be tech support for an item he didn't know how to use. The auction clearly said the item was used and there were no refunds. He stated in his reason for return "I just changed my mind." eBay ruled the item was defective and I ate the shipping. Makes me hesitate to keep selling there for sure. When you add up the fees, and factor in the chance of getting screwed, I'm not sure it's worth the risk anymore. 
I've filed a defective/SNAD dispute with eBay and lost despite the seller offering to cover parts to remedy the defects. Seller claimed the photos showed the defects which wasn't correct. Eventually, I prevailed with AMEX. eBay might be tougher on buyers of used stuff than those buying new.

Dynastar454 said:   
mikk1 said:   

Tell me about it.  I do about $100k a year on eBay, selling a boring clothing item made by a large company and have a 99.5% feedback rating.  Every month or so I have a customer claim an item is defective instead of being the wrong size so they can get out of paying return shipping and restocking fees.  I've lost every single time I've contested this with eBay, even when I have emails from the customer saying the item doesn't fit.  I no longer even try anymore, since eBay penalizes you every time you ask them to step in and they find against you.  Can't wait to be done with them.

Moral of the story, if you buy something on eBay and you have buyer's remorse just say it's defective.  You'll win every time.

At a previous job the mailroom was always on video when opening packages. I bought a monitor which was incorrectly packaged and the screen was cracked. After back and forth with the seller, I submitted the request to eBay for resolution and informed them that I had a video of the sealed package being opened. They didn't want to see it. Seller also claimed he had a video of packaging the item. I never saw that video. eBay ruled in favor of the seller. So sellers do win sometimes (but I have no idea how).

Of course, I disputed with Amex and several days later I got notification that Amex ruled in my favor.

b534202 said:   
30 cents to paypal each time.

Doesn't PayPal charge nothing if it's a full refund? Or is it just eBay that charges nothing?

Fees are the cost of business even if it sucks. I've had people threaten to send the item back if I don't cancel. I'll happily pay $0,30 to not deal with such a buyer who likely won't honor eBay rules - only have to cancel if it hasn't shipped yet. 

bobley said:   
b534202 said:   
30 cents to paypal each time.

Doesn't PayPal charge nothing if it's a full refund? Or is it just eBay that charges nothing?

Fees are the cost of business even if it sucks. I've had people threaten to send the item back if I don't cancel. I'll happily pay $0,30 to not deal with such a buyer who likely won't honor eBay rules - only have to cancel if it hasn't shipped yet. 

I think they deduct 30 cents if it is a credit card transaction.  

Automatic relisting of fixed price items? That stinks, and I bet that eats up your monthly free auction allotment too. Why else would they relist auctions automatically? That's poor selling practice. 

I'm surprised eBay is in this period of screwing over the seller so much. Apparently they seem to only worry about buyers without thinking that sellers are what bring the buyers in the first place. That said, I haven't sold on there since they made their downturn and I never plan to unless I have some type of collectors rare item that is small enough to ship and is worth $10k+... so basically, never.

If I can't sell it in a forum or via craigslist then it's just not worth it and I'm going to just donate it.

Dynastar454 said:   
mikk1 said:   

You think thats bad, a customer in the UK bought  an item for $1500 they wanted to return it, after winning the case they claimed the item was stolen and provided eBay with a police report which they would not give to me

In the end i had to contact my lawyer and magically they reversed the decision

cestmoi123 said:   
mikk1 said:   

True, but this doesn't change that, and, as a seller, I'd never want to communicate outside of the eBay platform in any case.  

I'm not a serious seller, but I've sold several dozen items on eBay over the years (including some relatively high ticket items), and never had a problem. 

Once, a buyer won auctions around the same time, for gift cards sold by me and other sellers.  He paid for the cards (through the by then required Paypal method), and after the cards were shipped, with tracking, (another seller contacted me and other sellers, so we all found out what happened), had his bank reverse the Paypal transfers, resulting the eBay sucking the money out of our Paypal accounts, then after taking back the money, accepted delivery of the items (My USPS tracking showed it wasn't just delivered, but was delivered to a person at the specific address, personally).  The buyer never contacted any seller stating there was a problem of any kind or reason.  eBay's "seller protection" clearly stated that any "tangible item" was protected, which a CS person clearly stated meany ANYTHING that can be packaged and shipped, including gift cards.  eBay's "seller protection", which we all filed claims with, basically told us all to F off, denying the claims with no reason, and no reason any of the multiple CS persons I spoke with could explain, while they all agreed that a gift card (not gift code or egift card) was protected.  I don't know if the gift card coverage has been changed since this happened a number of years ago.

eBay doesn't give a crap about the small seller. They realized that their money is made with large sellers shipping junk from China using shipping rates subsidized by the USPS.

ntr91 said:   They realized that their money is made with large sellers shipping junk from China using shipping rates subsidized by the USPS.
  one man's junk ...

rufflesinc said:   
ntr91 said:   They realized that their money is made with large sellers shipping junk from China using shipping rates subsidized by the USPS.
  one man's junk ...

....is made by another man's indentured servant?

justignoredem said:   
rufflesinc said:   
  one man's junk ...

....is made by another man's indentured servant?

apple's the biggest modern day slaveholder then

drodge said:   He stated in his reason for return "I just changed my mind." eBay ruled the item was defective and I ate the shipping. 
  Buyer's remorse is not a valid reason for a refund and eBay should have found in your favor. What do you mean "eBay ruled the item was defective" if the buyer stated he cahnged his mind? You're leaving something out.

atikovi said:   
drodge said:   He stated in his reason for return "I just changed my mind." eBay ruled the item was defective and I ate the shipping. 
  Buyer's remorse is not a valid reason for a refund and eBay should have found in your favor. What do you mean "eBay ruled the item was defective" if the buyer stated he cahnged his mind? You're leaving something out.

I had a return request started for parts i sold last week. Buyer's note said "doesnt fit for my xxxx." I had it listed perfectly, exact item number, and i dont accept returns. I have clear language in my listing stating it is up to the buyer to make sure it fits. Basically not my problem if you order the wrong part. The eBay reason chosen is "not as described". I wrote the buyer to inform that i dont accept returns, reminded them of the language in the listing that they purchased, but did say if they paid return shipping and cost to ship it to them i would accept anyway.  No response from the buyer in 3 days, i fully expect eBay to rule against me (as previously they have, in similar). I went ahead and hit 'accept return today', figuring if it let it go too long, auto-eBay will step in, force the return and im out shipping both ways. 

evercl92 said:   
No response from the buyer in 3 days, i fully expect eBay to rule against me (as previously they have, in similar). I went ahead and hit 'accept return today', figuring if it let it go too long, auto-eBay will step in, force the return and im out shipping both ways. 

If no response in 3 days, maybe he changed his mind. 

atikovi said:   
evercl92 said:   
No response from the buyer in 3 days, i fully expect eBay to rule against me (as previously they have, in similar). I went ahead and hit 'accept return today', figuring if it let it go too long, auto-eBay will step in, force the return and im out shipping both ways. 

If no response in 3 days, maybe he changed his mind. 

And perhaps so. Now he has 7 days to get back to me (he's paying shipping). If that doesn't happen, then it appears if the return gets closed. 
Seems to me better to CMA than eBay saying I failed to comply in some manner. Of course, "issue refund" or "refund the buyer" is rather easy to spot on every page, as if encouraging to just refund the entire amount, let buyer keep item, and be done with the issue,

evercl92 said:     I had a return request started for parts i sold last week. Buyer's note said "doesnt fit for my xxxx." I had it listed perfectly, exact item number, and i dont accept returns.

If you sell on eBay you accept returns for 30 days via their eBay Money Back Guarantee for most items regardless of what language your auction uses.  I sold a working video card, had the buyer pull off the serial number sticker on my card and put it on his broken card and send his broken card back to me.  Despite photo evidence of the tampering they sided with the buyer, as they ALWAYS do.  I don't sell on eBay anymore, not worth it.

Skipping 2 Messages...
I had a buyer ask me for the original reciept because he wanted to use the warranty. I was unable to actually get him the reciept. Every time I'd send it, he did not get the attachment. When I treid to ask for his email, he didn't even get the message. After a while I just gave up

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017