• filter:

Chase Sapphire travel insurance

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Has anyone used Chase Sapphire travel insurance for trip cancelations and been happy?

I'm trying to plan a family trip and I have two young kids and our life is very unpredictable with them. Many of the resorts that have specials offer them as non-refundable.  I also worry about the hurricane season.  I'm trying to decide if I can rely on the credit card coverage or if i need travel insurance. I'm not worried about the kid if he has a stuffy nose the night before our trip, but if we end up in the ER a day before we are suppose to leave for whatever reason (and can get a doctor note that we should not travel).  Or if hurricane X decides its going to hit our vacation spot the day we are suppose to depart.

Has anyone been successful with a cancelation covered by Chase Sapphire travel insurance?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Good advice, doesn't apply with my gf.  She was going from Airport to cruise port and got hit either in a train station ... (more)

kriskos4 (Jul. 23, 2017 @ 8:57a) |

The problem for most of the scenarios I described (and experienced) is that they say that I need a passport for ID. If I... (more)

BostonOne (Jul. 23, 2017 @ 3:37p) |

Was in Rome, needed a SIM card. Had a copy of my passport and figured that would work. 20 minute walk to the store only ... (more)

Stubtify (Jul. 23, 2017 @ 6:55p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I have been successful. The insurance is through a third party, Crawford. I had a few weeks lead time on my cancellation and they made me attempt to cancel with the hotels and airlines first.

In my case the hotels were extremely accommodating, even those with no cancellation policies waived those. In the end it came down to a nonrefundable flight that Crawford reimbursed me for. They made me wait until the value of the ticket was erased and needed confirmation that it wasn't rebooked.

A second time I cancelled a trip a week out and everyone including the airline refunded me so the insurance claim was for $0 and I just cancelled the claim.

rated:
Medical is usually a covered reason. Read your policy carefully though.

rated:
How does travel insurance work? If you pay with the card are you "insured" or do you need to do extra legwork to get a trip insured after the fact?

rated:
Stubtify said:   I have been successful. The insurance is through a third party, Crawford. I had a few weeks lead time on my cancellation and they made me attempt to cancel with the hotels and airlines first.

In my case the hotels were extremely accommodating, even those with no cancellation policies waived those. In the end it came down to a nonrefundable flight that Crawford reimbursed me for. They made me wait until the value of the ticket was erased and needed confirmation that it wasn't rebooked.

A second time I cancelled a trip a week out and everyone including the airline refunded me so the insurance claim was for $0 and I just cancelled the claim.

i recently filed a discover claim for apple laptop repair for $600 - that also went through crawford.  Was bit slow .. about 4 weeks, but got the money in the end.
Seems like lot of them goes through crawford - but i wonder if there coverage or service is better based on a premium card vs. no AF card.

rated:
Stubtify said:   I have been successful. The insurance is through a third party, Crawford. I had a few weeks lead time on my cancellation and they made me attempt to cancel with the hotels and airlines first.

Also thanks .. this is very good to know.   Would this card also be good if you book a cruise?   In the past i bought separate insurance for cruise  (about $150 or so to cover value of cruise was $3K or so).    Just wondering - if you use  CSR for a cruise  is there a need for separate insurance.

rated:
Al3xK said:   How does travel insurance work? If you pay with the card are you "insured" or do you need to do extra legwork to get a trip insured after the fact?

Based on what Chase Customer service told me .. at least for car rental - if you use Chase portal and pay by Chase points - that is covered as well.  Not sure if anyone proved it our or not.  it should be automatically covered - only paperwork is if you make a claim.

rated:
I know a guy who knows a guy who did cancel a cruise and file a claim successfully.

I've dealt with discover and Crawford...there's no distinction for premium cards. The service is indeed identically slow.

ETA: in all cases the coverage is for your actual losses. If the cruise company allows you to cancel and get all your money back except for $500 then the claim is for the $500. Same with a hotel; if you lose the first night for cancelling your claim is for that, not the total.  The amount of calls I had to make were significant, it wasn't a single call to the insurance company and a quick payout.  Tours, hotels, airlines, cars, all had to be cancelled and proof had to be shown. 

rated:
Stubtify said:   I know a guy who knows a guy who did cancel a cruise and file a claim successfully.

I've dealt with discover and Crawford...there's no distinction for premium cards. The service is indeed identically slow.

ETA: in all cases the coverage is for your actual losses. If the cruise company allows you to cancel and get all your money back except for $500 then the claim is for the $500. Same with a hotel; if you lose the first night for cancelling your claim is for that, not the total.  The amount of calls I had to make were significant, it wasn't a single call to the insurance company and a quick payout.  Tours, hotels, airlines, cars, all had to be cancelled and proof had to be shown. 

this make sense .. else there could be lot of abuse.   

rated:
Al3xK said:   How does travel insurance work? If you pay with the card are you "insured" or do you need to do extra legwork to get a trip insured after the fact?

From what I've read and believe to understand is that you buy all of the trip with the card and its covered.  Or if you buy in pieces (air, hotel, and car bought at different times) that the entire purchase for what you want covered must be made on the card.
https://www.chase.com/content/chasecom/en/card-benefits/benefit-...
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredVW17

rated:
Hope to be able to let you know soon. I just submitted a claim yesterday for nonrefundable airfare, hotels booked through Ultimate Rewards, trains, and sightseeing tickets.

rated:
Pipboy said:   Hope to be able to let you know soon. I just submitted a claim yesterday for nonrefundable airfare, hotels booked through Ultimate Rewards, trains, and sightseeing tickets.

I'm so sorry for whatever happened to cause you to have to cancel your trip.  I look forward to your followup. 

rated:
Pipboy said:   Hope to be able to let you know soon. I just submitted a claim yesterday for nonrefundable airfare, hotels booked through Ultimate Rewards, trains, and sightseeing tickets.
  Bumping in hopes that pipboy can update us.  Pip: how did you make out?

rated:
Quite a timely request, as I just received the last bit of info today. Here's the timeline of events.

4/25 I cancelled my trip which was scheduled to start 4/27, due to gf's urgent medical condition. I called Chase 's customer service to start the claim. The rep said I should cancel everything I could, and emailed me the claim form. Claims can also be started at https://www.eclaimsline.com/  I reviewed the cancellation policy at https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve 

I cancelled online for American Airlines. My three hotels had been booked through Chase 's travel portal using a combination of UR points and cash. I was unable to cancel these online because they were nonrefundable. I called Chase and the first rep I spoke to was a total bitch, saying that I can't cancel a nonrefundable hotel, and disconnected me when I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. Called back, next guy was awesome and sent me immediate cancellation confirmation for two of the three hotels. For the third, he called the hotel in Spain while I waited. The hotel would not cancel so he was unable to send me any notice.

5/11 I gathered PDFs of doctor's note, hotel reservation emails showing cost and the fact that they were nonrefundable, train ticket receipt with cancellation policy, and AA ticket email with cost and cancellation policy. I submitted these via email along with the completed claim form. The claim form has a section for the doctor to fill out. You can see it here http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/2015/10/19/using-chase-trip-... 

5/19 Card Benefit Services emailed asking for copies of cancelled hotel reservations and verification from AA of travel credit. I emailed the cancelled reservation notices I had received from Chase. AA provided email confimation that the tickets had value for 1 year from purchase, but would have $200 change fee each. I explained that one of my hotels refused to cancel and so I could provide no further documentation for that one.

6/2 got email saying that payment was processed, and that a check would arrive in 7-10 days. Email also said that if I were unable to use AA travel credit, I would be reimbursed.

6/10 received check with a letter stating that this payment was the final satisfaction of the claim and that no further benefits would be paid.

6/12 I called and spoke to a friendly rep who said that unused AA travel credit, as well as the change fees, would be reimburseable as new claims. 

Total payout was about $2300, which included actual cash value of UR points. They did not fight me on anything, and actually reimbursed about $100 more than I had requested (due to exchange rate differences, I guess). I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the process was. Based on this experience I'll be downgrading my CSR to CSP when the year's up and booking all future travel on it. CSP has the same coverage.

rated:
Pipboy said:   Total payout was about $2300, which included actual cash value of UR points.
  This was 1cent/pt like i think is in the terms, or 1.5cent/pt since that's the value booking through travel portal? (I was assuming it would be 1cent/pt).

If you normally book just a few $1000 restaurant/travel, would make sense not downgrading.  Break-even is ~$3300/yr vs CSP for an extra 1pt/$ in those categories even if you place no value on the other features.  If you only travel some years and not much restaurant spend, then downgrade much more obvious choice.

rated:
Paid back at 1.5 cents/pt. Good idea about doing the math about CSP vs CSR, thanks. I hadn't considered it fully but CSR will probably be a better deal for me.

rated:
Question - you said "break even is 3300/year" for CSP/CSR...Iam currently in the process of trying to choose between CSP and CSR, and would like to know more about the math behind this. Youre saying if you spend more than 3300 on tickets and restaurants per year, CSR is a better deal than CSP? (Disregarding other features - ie access to lounges in airport etc..a cursory look didnt show that many other differences - or are there?)

Thanks in advance.

ch

rated:
chaaron said:   Question - you said "break even is 3300/year" for CSP/CSR...Iam currently in the process of trying to choose between CSP and CSR, and would like to know more about the math behind this. Youre saying if you spend more than 3300 on tickets and restaurants per year, CSR is a better deal than CSP? (Disregarding other features - ie access to lounges in airport etc..a cursory look didnt show that many other differences - or are there?)

Thanks in advance.

ch

Well, TPG had an interesting quick comparison here, though not in the weeds of specific benefits.

From a fee perspective, the Reserve premium is $355 ($450 vs $95), but if you travel, the $300 travel credit wipes out a lot of that, making the practical premium $55.

Now, strictly from an points earning perspective, you get 3x on travel and travel and dining with the reserve vs 2x on the preferred.
So, if you were going to convert to "cash" at 1c/point, the break-even for the $55 would be $5500 spend (earn 16500 points vs 11000 points).

If you can use the points to then buy "travel" instead on the UR website (ie, plane tickets, hotel rooms), then the redemption bonus also kicks in (1.5x vs 1.25x).
For this, you only need 2750 points to break even would only be $2750 spend (earn 8250 points vs 5500 points), but then points available for travel spend are 12,375 vs 6875.

I have never used the UR website to book hotels, but I have found that the airfare quotes matched what was available from the major airlines.  Others have done analysis and found that it is sometimes better to convert UR points to specific hotel program points for even better deals on rooms. 

The CSR is a great card for travelers. 

rated:
CSP fee = $95. CSR fee = $150 (assuming you use the $300 travel credit). A difference of $55.
$3666.67 is equal to the spend required to earn $55 "extra" in points if you value Chase UR points at 1.5 cents each (0.015*3666.67 = $55). Many people value them at 1.5cents on the CSP as well - there is no bonus to the per-point "value" between Chase's different premium cards except through Chase travel portal. It's 1:1 partner transfers for both CSP and CSR. I value southwest rapid rewards points (currently) at exactly 1.5c/point and use them frequently so this is the number I use to value the points on CSP comparison.

rated:
One other factor to take into account when valuing the CSR vs. the CSP - if you have the CSR, you get 1.5c/point on all your points, including those earned on other cards. So, if you have the Freedom, you're earning 2.25c back on all your non-travel/restaurant purchases, which is better than the 2% you can get with the Fidelity Visa or Citi Double Cash Back.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:    So, if you have the Freedom, you're earning 2.25c back on all your non-travel/restaurant purchases, which is better than the 2% you can get with the Fidelity Visa or Citi Double Cash Back.

Why not just use Alliant which is 3% cash back on everything?

I have not seen Aliant talked about on all the various websites. Everyone just talks about CSR.

rated:
Does pregnancy count

rated:
I tried to use the insurance through my Sapphire card and my issue wasn't covered.  My gf got pickpocketed in Rome and incurred about $1000 in expenses, she missed the first couple days of our Mediterranean cruise.  They said crime wasn't covered.

rated:
kriskos4 said:   , she missed the first couple days of our Mediterranean cruise.  .
How do you get on he cruise after you miss the departure

rated:
sfchris said:   
cestmoi123 said:    So, if you have the Freedom, you're earning 2.25c back on all your non-travel/restaurant purchases, which is better than the 2% you can get with the Fidelity Visa or Citi Double Cash Back.

Why not just use Alliant which is 3% cash back on everything?

I have not seen Aliant talked about on all the various websites. Everyone just talks about CSR.

1. Alliant card is 3% only for the first year, it's 2.5% after that.
2. Annual fee is $59/year.

Still, a pretty good option, at least for the first year.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   kriskos4 said:   , she missed the first couple days of our Mediterranean cruise.  .How do you get on he cruise after you miss the departureThey have these things called airplanes (or trains or buses or ???) that take you to the next port of call.

rated:
kriskos4 said:   I tried to use the insurance through my Sapphire card and my issue wasn't covered.  My gf got pickpocketed in Rome and incurred about $1000 in expenses, she missed the first couple days of our Mediterranean cruise.  They said crime wasn't covered.

In places like Rome they would go broke covering crime -- there are more pickpockets than Baristas.  I am guessing they got her passport and she couldn't board until she was able to get a new one from the embassy?  I assume that if she had missed the the entire cruise due to the embassy that Sapphire may have refunded the actual cruise -- but due to paperwork issues and the hotels/ect are still on you.

First rule of travel is you don't carry your passport around the city- you carry a color copy of it.  Put the original in the hotel safe or even leave it out in the open in the hotel room (or not).  (they don't steal the passports specifically, they want money and plastic that is in the same location and get the passport by default)   The cruise ship will keep it for you too.  You only need the actual passport to cross a non-schengen border or to deal with an embassy for a visa.  Pretty much every other identification purpose is served with the copy or your driver's license just like in the US.  

Edit to add -- the ID most likely was dumped in a trash can or even shredded.  Being caught with it is something they will actually get arrested for.   At least it wasn't Ireland where they prefer to smash and grab from rental cars.  

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
Pretty much every other identification purpose is served with the copy or your driver's license just like in the US.  

That's a pretty broad claim, that organizations in foreign countries would accept US drivers licenses. I remember when I went to a bar in canada and showed my US DL and they asked if I had my passport

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
Pretty much every other identification purpose is served with the copy or your driver's license just like in the US.  

That's a pretty broad claim, that organizations in foreign countries would accept US drivers licenses. I remember when I went to a bar in canada and showed my US DL and they asked if I had my passport

In some countries, you need to show a passport to get a SIM card. For business meetings, I've had to show my passport to get access to corporate facilities. Heck, I've even had to show it in addition to my license when renting a car overseas. I've also had to show it when doing currency exchange. I had to show it at Western Union to pick up cash.

rated:
BostonOne said:   
rufflesinc said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

In some countries, you need to show a passport to get a SIM card. For business meetings, I've had to show my passport to get access to corporate facilities. Heck, I've even had to show it in addition to my license when renting a car overseas. I've also had to show it when doing currency exchange. I had to show it at Western Union to pick up cash.

Did you also have a color photocopy of your passport with you -- the FIRST part of my statement?   When I lived in Europe we were told not to carry the passport but lock it in a safe place and carry a copy.  This was a little before EU came into being though, so they didn't have the now current "card" based IDs that are similar in size to US driver's licenses.   (I believe the 

Never had any issues -- although obviously you have to use the real passport for customs and entry/exit.   If you are doing something "official" then take the original and put the copy in the place where you stored the original so if anything happens you have the copy to help get a replacement.   Of course for most of the 5 years I lived in Europe I didn't even HAVE a passport.  

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
kriskos4 said:   I tried to use the insurance through my Sapphire card and my issue wasn't covered.  My gf got pickpocketed in Rome and incurred about $1000 in expenses, she missed the first couple days of our Mediterranean cruise.  They said crime wasn't covered.

In places like Rome they would go broke covering crime -- there are more pickpockets than Baristas.  I am guessing they got her passport and she couldn't board until she was able to get a new one from the embassy?  I assume that if she had missed the the entire cruise due to the embassy that Sapphire may have refunded the actual cruise -- but due to paperwork issues and the hotels/ect are still on you.

First rule of travel is you don't carry your passport around the city- you carry a color copy of it.  Put the original in the hotel safe or even leave it out in the open in the hotel room (or not).  (they don't steal the passports specifically, they want money and plastic that is in the same location and get the passport by default)   The cruise ship will keep it for you too.  You only need the actual passport to cross a non-schengen border or to deal with an embassy for a visa.  Pretty much every other identification purpose is served with the copy or your driver's license just like in the US.  

Edit to add -- the ID most likely was dumped in a trash can or even shredded.  Being caught with it is something they will actually get arrested for.   At least it wasn't Ireland where they prefer to smash and grab from rental cars.  

I hardly call it a rule.  Pros and cons to carry vs. leaving passport in hotel.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
kriskos4 said:   , she missed the first couple days of our Mediterranean cruise.  .
How do you get on he cruise after you miss the departure

She got her passport at US embassy on monday, flew out to Santorini on Tuesday.  She missed a sea day and effectively missed walking around Santorini...could've been worse.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   First rule of travel is you don't carry your passport around the city- you carry a color copy of it.  Put the original in the hotel safe or even leave it out in the open in the hotel room (or not).  (they don't steal the passports specifically, they want money and plastic that is in the same location and get the passport by default)   The cruise ship will keep it for you too.  You only need the actual passport to cross a non-schengen border or to deal with an embassy for a visa.  Pretty much every other identification purpose is served with the copy or your driver's license just like in the US.  

Good advice, doesn't apply with my gf.  She was going from Airport to cruise port and got hit either in a train station or on the train, probably the station.  She had to have her passport on her.

It won't happen again, she bought a travel wallet thing that goes around her neck and under her shirt.  Her passport and cards and cash will be safely stored next to her boobs for future travel.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
BostonOne said:   
rufflesinc said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

Did you also have a color photocopy of your passport with you -- the FIRST part of my statement?   When I lived in Europe we were told not to carry the passport but lock it in a safe place and carry a copy.  This was a little before EU came into being though, so they didn't have the now current "card" based IDs that are similar in size to US driver's licenses.   (I believe the 

Never had any issues -- although obviously you have to use the real passport for customs and entry/exit.   If you are doing something "official" then take the original and put the copy in the place where you stored the original so if anything happens you have the copy to help get a replacement.   Of course for most of the 5 years I lived in Europe I didn't even HAVE a passport.  

The problem for most of the scenarios I described (and experienced) is that they say that I need a passport for ID. If I took a chance and only brought a copy and it wasn't good enough, that would be horribly inconvenient or worse.

That said, when I don't have a specific need for my passport, I certainly don't carry it with me and keep it in a safe place.

rated:
Was in Rome, needed a SIM card. Had a copy of my passport and figured that would work. 20 minute walk to the store only to be told no, must have the real passport. 20 minute walk back to grab the passport, then 20 minutes back to the store only to find out that they were now closed for their 1.5 hour lunch.

Passport in a different pocket than money and cards. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017