• filter:

Chase Sapphire travel insurance

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Has anyone used Chase Sapphire travel insurance for trip cancelations and been happy?

I'm trying to plan a family trip and I have two young kids and our life is very unpredictable with them. Many of the resorts that have specials offer them as non-refundable.  I also worry about the hurricane season.  I'm trying to decide if I can rely on the credit card coverage or if i need travel insurance. I'm not worried about the kid if he has a stuffy nose the night before our trip, but if we end up in the ER a day before we are suppose to leave for whatever reason (and can get a doctor note that we should not travel).  Or if hurricane X decides its going to hit our vacation spot the day we are suppose to depart.

Has anyone been successful with a cancelation covered by Chase Sapphire travel insurance?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I have been successful. The insurance is through a third party, Crawford. I had a few weeks lead time on my cancellation and they made me attempt to cancel with the hotels and airlines first.

In my case the hotels were extremely accommodating, even those with no cancellation policies waived those. In the end it came down to a nonrefundable flight that Crawford reimbursed me for. They made me wait until the value of the ticket was erased and needed confirmation that it wasn't rebooked.

A second time I cancelled a trip a week out and everyone including the airline refunded me so the insurance claim was for $0 and I just cancelled the claim.

rated:
Medical is usually a covered reason. Read your policy carefully though.

rated:
How does travel insurance work? If you pay with the card are you "insured" or do you need to do extra legwork to get a trip insured after the fact?

rated:
Stubtify said:   I have been successful. The insurance is through a third party, Crawford. I had a few weeks lead time on my cancellation and they made me attempt to cancel with the hotels and airlines first.

In my case the hotels were extremely accommodating, even those with no cancellation policies waived those. In the end it came down to a nonrefundable flight that Crawford reimbursed me for. They made me wait until the value of the ticket was erased and needed confirmation that it wasn't rebooked.

A second time I cancelled a trip a week out and everyone including the airline refunded me so the insurance claim was for $0 and I just cancelled the claim.

i recently filed a discover claim for apple laptop repair for $600 - that also went through crawford.  Was bit slow .. about 4 weeks, but got the money in the end.
Seems like lot of them goes through crawford - but i wonder if there coverage or service is better based on a premium card vs. no AF card.

rated:
Stubtify said:   I have been successful. The insurance is through a third party, Crawford. I had a few weeks lead time on my cancellation and they made me attempt to cancel with the hotels and airlines first.

Also thanks .. this is very good to know.   Would this card also be good if you book a cruise?   In the past i bought separate insurance for cruise  (about $150 or so to cover value of cruise was $3K or so).    Just wondering - if you use  CSR for a cruise  is there a need for separate insurance.

rated:
Al3xK said:   How does travel insurance work? If you pay with the card are you "insured" or do you need to do extra legwork to get a trip insured after the fact?

Based on what Chase Customer service told me .. at least for car rental - if you use Chase portal and pay by Chase points - that is covered as well.  Not sure if anyone proved it our or not.  it should be automatically covered - only paperwork is if you make a claim.

rated:
I know a guy who knows a guy who did cancel a cruise and file a claim successfully.

I've dealt with discover and Crawford...there's no distinction for premium cards. The service is indeed identically slow.

ETA: in all cases the coverage is for your actual losses. If the cruise company allows you to cancel and get all your money back except for $500 then the claim is for the $500. Same with a hotel; if you lose the first night for cancelling your claim is for that, not the total.  The amount of calls I had to make were significant, it wasn't a single call to the insurance company and a quick payout.  Tours, hotels, airlines, cars, all had to be cancelled and proof had to be shown. 

rated:
Stubtify said:   I know a guy who knows a guy who did cancel a cruise and file a claim successfully.

I've dealt with discover and Crawford...there's no distinction for premium cards. The service is indeed identically slow.

ETA: in all cases the coverage is for your actual losses. If the cruise company allows you to cancel and get all your money back except for $500 then the claim is for the $500. Same with a hotel; if you lose the first night for cancelling your claim is for that, not the total.  The amount of calls I had to make were significant, it wasn't a single call to the insurance company and a quick payout.  Tours, hotels, airlines, cars, all had to be cancelled and proof had to be shown. 

this make sense .. else there could be lot of abuse.   

rated:
Al3xK said:   How does travel insurance work? If you pay with the card are you "insured" or do you need to do extra legwork to get a trip insured after the fact?

From what I've read and believe to understand is that you buy all of the trip with the card and its covered.  Or if you buy in pieces (air, hotel, and car bought at different times) that the entire purchase for what you want covered must be made on the card.
https://www.chase.com/content/chasecom/en/card-benefits/benefit-...
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredVW17

rated:
Hope to be able to let you know soon. I just submitted a claim yesterday for nonrefundable airfare, hotels booked through Ultimate Rewards, trains, and sightseeing tickets.

rated:
Pipboy said:   Hope to be able to let you know soon. I just submitted a claim yesterday for nonrefundable airfare, hotels booked through Ultimate Rewards, trains, and sightseeing tickets.

I'm so sorry for whatever happened to cause you to have to cancel your trip.  I look forward to your followup. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017