• filter:

Help me getting my refund from Ashley Furniture.

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
HI,
We bought some furniture from Ashley 2-3 years back. As furniture started falling apart, Ashley gave us a store credit. Initially they gave one month to spend on something in their store. Later they extended it to 6 months after talking to them. I am trying to get refund but they are refusing to give refund. They received money for damaged furniture form manufacturer. But forcing me to spend in their store again. I tried by filing BBB complaint. They refused to give refund. Is there any other agency or something we can approach to help us. 

Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
More like aetili. Sort of how you can pronounce "ghoti" as fish. Parents these days!

T800 (May. 16, 2017 @ 2:32p) |

somewhat fitting to this thread, saw the name 'Chairish' ... because the parents wanted it to be unique. Hope no one e... (more)

kb2120 (May. 16, 2017 @ 3:08p) |

Going to list it on cg and see some one interested. Otherwise, will buy something. They gave me until July 15th to burn ... (more)

rustum (May. 25, 2017 @ 1:52p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
What kind of furniture, table, chair sofa? What's the warranty say?

rated:
atikovi said:   What kind of furniture, table, chair sofa? What's the warranty say?
We bought  leather sofa set (sofa, love seat and single ) 2-3 years back. I think, we paid around $4000+ which includes tax, shipping and extended warranty. Not sure about mfg warranty window but we bought extended warranty. Extended warranty is from different vendor who refused warranty claim. Extended warranty is only for any damage. We still have 2 years of extended warranty on damaged furniture.
But Ashley checked with  manufacturer     and got  a refund into my  account ($3200). They are refusing to give refund directly to me. They are forcing us to spend it again in their store. Refused to  help even with BBB complaint.  Initially they gave one month window to  spend the credit. But     later, they gave me 6 months to spend the balance. We might have 1-2 months window left to buy something with credit. I approached multiple people from Ashley. Every one refused for refund request. Wondering if there is  any small claims court or   something to help consumers in these kind of situations.

Thanks

rated:
Quickest thing might be to list on Craigslist $3200 worth of new furniture for a discount, like $2500.

rated:
atikovi said:   Quickest thing might be to list on Craigslist $3200 worth of new furniture for a discount, like $2500.
  So the OP should just take a $1500 hit because "Ashley" are scumbags (assuming they did get $3200 from the manufacturer as the OP says)?

rated:
atikovi said:   Quickest thing might be to list on Craigslist $3200 worth of new furniture for a discount, like $2500.
  Thanks for the information. I can try listing on CG. I also have free shipping option along with credit added to account. Probably  I can list it as $3200 + FS worth of new furniture for $2500 and see how it goes.

Thanks

rated:
Have to read warranty terms. Usually the overpriced furniture warranties only give credit for additional furniture.

You can try listing $3200 of furniture for $2500.  The problem is most people buying Ashley won't have that much $$$ sitting around.  They buy on monthly payment.
Nothing lost trying though.  Someone might even pay more than that.

rated:
Ecuadorgr said:   
  So the OP should just take a $1500 hit because "Ashley" are scumbags (assuming they did get $3200 from the manufacturer as the OP says)?

Ashley took pictures of damage from me and worked with manufacturer. They received credit from manufacturer. I think, it is again on of their related company. But this credit is only valid in DFW stores. According to them DFW franchise is different from their other stores. I was actually out of job for few months. I was not sure about a location to use the credit. They still refused to give back my credit even though I was not sure about staying in DFW. Very sad company to deal with.  There is a guy mentioned this in his review on consumer affairs where he was able to get a credit after trying for few months. It didn't work for me so far.

rated:
rustum said:   
atikovi said:   What kind of furniture, table, chair sofa? What's the warranty say?
We bought  leather sofa set (sofa, love seat and single ) 2-3 years back. I think, we paid around $4000+ which includes tax, shipping and extended warranty. Not sure about mfg warranty window but we bought extended warranty. Extended warranty is from different vendor who refused warranty claim. Extended warranty is only for any damage. We still have 2 years of extended warranty on damaged furniture.
But Ashley checked with  manufacturer     and got  a refund into my  account ($3200). They are refusing to give refund directly to me. They are forcing us to spend it again in their store. Refused to  help even with BBB complaint.  Initially they gave one month window to  spend the credit. But     later, they gave me 6 months to spend the balance. We might have 1-2 months window left to buy something with credit. I approached multiple people from Ashley. Every one refused for refund request. Wondering if there is  any small claims court or   something to help consumers in these kind of situations.

Thanks

it entirely depends on your receipt and warranty say about returns and defective items.
I have a protection plan with Ashley. It says they will come clean/repair my furniture for 5 years at no cost to me. Some people may 'think' of that as a warranty. It is not. Is that what you're talking about?

Also, here's the language from their "lifetime warranty"
" Lifetime means the normal useful life of the product. Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. will pay, within one year from the date of purchase, reasonable and customary labor rates to repair or replace the defective parts and shipping costs from the retailer to and from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., or a repair center designated by the Customer Service Department of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., at no charge to the original retail purchaser. After one year from the date of purchase, the frame warranty covers replacement parts only, and the original retail purchaser will be responsible for labor, packing, and all shipping and transportation costs. "
it basically says they'll fix it. Nothing about it says they'll refund you money.
There's aw hole bunch of shorter life warranties depending on the type of furniture you have and what the covering material is. Check it all here:
http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/warranty-information
for those shorter warranties, here's their remedy
"RemedyUnder these Limited Warranties, the sole liability of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. is limited to repair, or at its option, replacement. Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. will pay, within one year from the date of purchase, reasonable and customary labor rates to repair or replace the defective parts and shipping costs from the retailer to and from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., at no charge to the original retail purchaser. After one year from the date of purchase, the original retail purchaser will be responsible for labor, packing, and all shipping and transportation costs."

Again, nothing about refunds. If it's under warranty, they'll fix it at no cost to you (the word refund does not appear anywhere on that webpage).

SO I suppose I'd ask you, what document is in your possession makes you think you should get a refund, and what exactly does it say?

rated:
imbatman said:   
rustum said:   

Thanks

it entirely depends on your receipt and warranty say about returns and defective items.
I have a protection plan with Ashley. It says they will come clean/repair my furniture for 5 years at no cost to me. Some people may 'think' of that as a warranty. It is not. Is that what you're talking about?

" Lifetime means the normal useful life of the product. Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. will pay, within one year from the date of purchase, reasonable and customary labor rates to repair or replace the defective parts and shipping costs from the retailer to and from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., or a repair center designated by the Customer Service Department of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., at no charge to the original retail purchaser. After one year from the date of purchase, the frame warranty covers replacement parts only, and the original retail purchaser will be responsible for labor, packing, and all shipping and transportation costs. "
it basically says they'll fix it. Nothing about it says they'll refund you money.
There's aw hole bunch of shorter life warranties depending on the type of furniture you have and what the covering material is. Check it all here:
"RemedyUnder these Limited Warranties, the sole liability of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. is limited to repair, or at its option, replacement. Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. will pay, within one year from the date of purchase, reasonable and customary labor rates to repair or replace the defective parts and shipping costs from the retailer to and from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., at no charge to the original retail purchaser. After one year from the date of purchase, the original retail purchaser will be responsible for labor, packing, and all shipping and transportation costs."

Again, nothing about refunds. If it's under warranty, they'll fix it at no cost to you (the woI hard refund does not appear anywhere on that webpage).

SO I suppose I'd ask you, what document is in your possession makes you think you should get a refund, and what exactly does it say?

Thanks for the information. We bought protection plan as well. But according to them it only covered for accidental damage. So we approached store. They worked with manufacturer who is again one of Ashley guys.  This credit is from manufacturer not from extended      warranty guys. Spoke to them again today. They gave me final deadline of July 18th to spend my credit. I will try listing in CL for few weeks. Then I will think about buying something. 
I do not have any documentation. I might have sales receipt. But not sure if it talks about refund. But they got a refund from manufacturer for my damaged furniture. I am expecting some options for me to spend or take it. We do not like anything in their store to purchase.  With my temporary travel job, I am not sure if it is worth buying furniture without permanent job. 

rated:
The upcoming Memorial Day holiday and then the 4th of July could be good times to try to sell your credit on Craigslist (or your local Facebook group).

Edit: I did a quick search in Facebook and found the following online groups. Also, if you're ok with selling it for $2500, you may want to first advertise it as "$500 off any $3000 purchase at Ashley Furniture" (because sales tax brings it to 3200+). People like to see good round numbers.

Dallas/fort Worth Online Yard Sales
Dallas, TX Buy, Sell, Trade Group, and ISO
DFW Metroplex Online Garage Sale Party (Dallas Fort Worth)

rated:
CC dispute/warranty?

rated:
rustum said:   
imbatman said:   
rustum said:   

Thanks

" Lifetime means the normal useful life of the product. Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. will pay, within one year from the date of purchase, reasonable and customary labor rates to repair or replace the defective parts and shipping costs from the retailer to and from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., or a repair center designated by the Customer Service Department of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., at no charge to the original retail purchaser. After one year from the date of purchase, the frame warranty covers replacement parts only, and the original retail purchaser will be responsible for labor, packing, and all shipping and transportation costs. "
"RemedyUnder these Limited Warranties, the sole liability of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. is limited to repair, or at its option, replacement. Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. will pay, within one year from the date of purchase, reasonable and customary labor rates to repair or replace the defective parts and shipping costs from the retailer to and from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., at no charge to the original retail purchaser. After one year from the date of purchase, the original retail purchaser will be responsible for labor, packing, and all shipping and transportation costs."

Again, nothing about refunds. If it's under warranty, they'll fix it at no cost to you (the woI hard refund does not appear anywhere on that webpage).

Thanks for the information. We bought protection plan as well. But according to them it only covered for accidental damage. So we approached store. They worked with manufacturer who is again one of Ashley guys.  This credit is from manufacturer not from extended      warranty guys. Spoke to them again today. They gave me final deadline of July 18th to spend my credit. I will try listing in CL for few weeks. Then I will think about buying something. 
I do not have any documentation. I might have sales receipt. But not sure if it talks about refund. But they got a refund from manufacturer for my damaged furniture. I am expecting some options for me to spend or take it. We do not like anything in their store to purchase.  With my temporary travel job, I am not sure if it is worth buying furniture without permanent job. 

A warranty generally provides for "repair or replacement" of the covered item.  Few, if any, warranties provide for a refund.  Rather than try to fix what's falling apart, or simply shipping you an identical replacement, they are giving you the pick of the store.  That's actually going beyond what is required.  You're only complaint would be if the credit isnt enough to buy a similar replacement set.

Think of it this way - if the furniture hadnt broke, you would still have this sofa set to deal with along with your temporary job, and wouldnt expect a refund.  If they follow the warranty terms and repair the sofa, you would still have this sofa to deal with along with your temporary job.  If they follow warranty terms and replace the sofa directly, you would still have this sofa to deal with along with your temporary job. You only expect a refund now, because your current circumstances make it the most convenient option for you.  But warranties dont cover buyer's remorse.

rated:
Also, I thought ashley manufactured their own furniture? If so why would their own guys refund their own money to their own company?

rated:
rustum said:   

Thanks

Try to get as much back from Ashley as you can. Use it as an expensive lesson.

Yikes $4,000+ on Ashley Furniture leather?  It's probably not even leather.    I bought my leather couch from Hancock & Moore.  I got a good price but typically for a full living room set you are probably in for $6-8k, and if you condition the leather properly will last decades, possibly your lifetime.   Or you can buy a pleather set at Ashley Furniture every 3 years.  Hopefully you learned your lesson.  Either buy disposable cheap furniture at Ikea or pay the money for solid construction furniture.

There is a 3rd option as well which my wife and I used when we upsized houses.  Get the solid construction furniture for a fraction of the cost on Craigslist.  I've gotten some great heirloom quality pieces by Henkel Harris, Baker furniture, Council, Kindel that will last a lifetime.

rated:
How exactly do you see your credit to someone else? It isn't like it is a giftcard that you can hand it to someone else. The person buying $4K worth of furniture would want warranty etc. in his her/name. Not sure how this will work out.

Also, since it is a "credit" for an existing furniture to cover damage - if you buy more furniture with that - do you still get another 1 year worth of warranty?

rated:
This is difficult to follow, but let me know if I have it right:
You paid $4,000 for furniture with warranty and protection plan 2 years ago - would it be fair to say it was $3,500 for the furniture itself (apart from addons and sales tax)?
Ashley Furniture is offering $3,200 in credit which would not be subject to sales tax
So you're down $300, but can get the same sofa (but brand new).
2 years of depreciation in value is probably more than $300. Plus now you get the option to purchase different furniture if you weren't a fan of the one you had.

Nothing wrong with trying to get the cash, or get as much cash as you can out of it, but portraying them as a scummy company because of this seems questionable to me. Maybe they are scummy, but based only on this I wouldn't reach that conclusion.

Also, did the manufacturer actually pay them $3,200 in cash? It seems more likely the manufacturer paid them in a credit for future furniture purchases which would coincide with the credit they're offering to you.

rated:
I don’t understand what breaks down on furniture that a warranty applies to. I can understand a warranty on a car or appliance which has numerous moving parts, but a table or couch? Other than wear on the fabric or wood finish which is normal, there are no moving parts to go bad, except maybe on a recliner.

rated:
rustum said:   Ashley gave us a store credit.
So go get some new furniture.  End of story.  A company is not going to just refund your money on a warranty claim on 3 year old furniture, and there's nothing in your story here that would lead anyone to conclude that they aren't acting in good faith.  

rated:
imbatman said:   Also, I thought ashley manufactured their own furniture? If so why would their own guys refund their own money to their own company?

It is a third party warranty, just like all electronics companies will sell you.  (square, ect)   They ALWAYS will pay with a gift card, it is how they are documented too.  They are not refunding your money - they are replacing your furniture.

I bought a cheap loveseat from them a long time ago because I wanted certain features and could not find them on the secondhand market -- and my cats will damage anything so warranties were not worth it in my case.  I ended up using twin fitted sheets on each side of mine -- which keep the cats from shredding it more.  It still works fine as a dual reclining sofa. 

The warranty sounds like it performed the way it was supposed to.

rated:
Isn't Ashley a popular girls name.

rated:
How did you pay for the furniture and warranty?  If you used a cc, you might have extended the warranty.  You should also do some reviews of them on Yelp, Facebook, etc.; long shot, but they might respond.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
imbatman said:   Also, I thought ashley manufactured their own furniture? If so why would their own guys refund their own money to their own company?

It is a third party warranty, just like all electronics companies will sell you.  (square, ect)   They ALWAYS will pay with a gift card, it is how they are documented too.  They are not refunding your money - they are replacing your furniture.

I bought a cheap loveseat from them a long time ago because I wanted certain features and could not find them on the secondhand market -- and my cats will damage anything so warranties were not worth it in my case.  I ended up using twin fitted sheets on each side of mine -- which keep the cats from shredding it more.  It still works fine as a dual reclining sofa. 

I agree with everything you said, not sure why you quoted me though?
My comment was in response to OP saying the manufacturer (Ashley) agreeing there was a problem, and the manufacturer (Ashley) refunding money to the retailer (Ashley), and the retailer (Ashley) is refusing to give that money to OP (but offering a gift card), and OP wants us to help him get that money that was transferred from Ashley to Ashley.
But if Ashley is both the manufacturer and the retailer, which is what I believe to be the case, Ashley (manufacturer) wouldn't be giving money to Ashley (retailer) because it's the same company.

rated:
jess888 said:   How did you pay for the furniture and warranty?  If you used a cc, you might have extended the warranty.  You should also do some reviews of them on Yelp, Facebook, etc.; long shot, but they might respond.
  A credit card extended warranty will still only net you "repair or replacement".

rated:
imbatman said:   
My comment was in response to OP saying the manufacturer (Ashley) agreeing there was a problem, and the manufacturer (Ashley) refunding money to the retailer (Ashley), and the retailer (Ashley) is refusing to give that money to OP (but offering a gift card), and OP wants us to help him get that money that was transferred from Ashley to Ashley.
But if Ashley is both the manufacturer and the retailer, which is what I believe to be the case, Ashley (manufacturer) wouldn't be giving money to Ashley (retailer) because it's the same company.

I assume it's a case of the Franchisee getting credit from the manufacturer/Franchisor. OP apparently didnt buy the furniture at a company-owned store, which is why the credit is only valid at that one specific store.

Edit:  Just to rile up OP a bit more - how did they decide on $3200 credit?  Is that the retail cost of what you'd previously bought (or the current price of the equivalent)?  Or was that the store's cost for the sofa set, and what the manufacturer reimbursed them, for the $4,000 retail price you had paid?  And now they're going to make you spend that credit at retail prices, so they can pocket their markup a second time?

rated:
Can you 'loiter' outside the store and offer to sell your credits to people walking into the store?

Though this might be against the law.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Can you 'loiter' outside the store and offer to sell your credits to people walking into the store?

Though this might be against the law.

I can imagine that conversation:

OP to random customer:  I have $3,000 store credit, but I dont want to buy anything.  Can I sell it to you?
Customer: How did you get that much store credit?
OP:  The furniture I bought from here fell apart after a year.
Customer:  Thanks, but I think we'll look elsewhere.

Actually, that might be the best incentive for the store to offer you a cash settlement to go away...

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
jess888 said:   How did you pay for the furniture and warranty?  If you used a cc, you might have extended the warranty.  You should also do some reviews of them on Yelp, Facebook, etc.; long shot, but they might respond.
  A credit card extended warranty will still only net you "repair or replacement".

Amex has given me checks and statement credits without requiring me to re-purchase the item.

rated:
Good luck. Ashley could not deliver furniture to me without it breaking in transit. Not a good company unfortunately.

rated:
It is very hard to get $$ back from furniture company. I once purchased sofa set from seamans furniture - they delivered the coffee table damaged. I tell them to take it back .. and few weeks later, they deliver 2nd one - still same damage. I called cust service - just saying - i'll keep the sofa, just refund the cost of the coffee table. Or give me a credit, so i can go pick another type of table from their store. No no they can't do it - it has to be re-delivered again. So i finally called up the sales guy - and i told them, if they don't credit it back - i'll call CC company and dispute the entire purchase. Then he suggested calling up corporate office - which i did, and they finally agreed to give me store credit so i can pick up something else.

So i'm assuming .. asking for $$$ credit back is like never happens.

rated:
imbatman said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

I was responding to the "If so why would their own guys refund their own money to their own company?" part.  

rated:
OP - considering everything you've shared by now....the best option is to go and buy new stuff from Ashley for $3200

rated:
Call your local media who handle consumer complaint.

rated:
Protection plan can only be used in Ashley for a reselect. It is clearly stated in the protection plan. The plan is priced at a very very low price so that you are covered for damages. The value of the replacement covers only the paid price of the item purchased at a he time. If you paid 4 th 5 hundred for the plan and you can reselect another leather sofa for $3200..... I'm thinking that's a darn good deal. The protection company has contracted with Ashley so that the corporate loss isn't as extensive as without. Most companies don't do that ... and if you didn't use it you would have gotten a store credit for what you paid. Pretty good deal if you ask me!!!

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   imbatman said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

I was responding to the "If so why would their own guys refund their own money to their own company?" part.  

rated:
By the way.... protection is 3rd party. Ashley Homestore is almost always a franchise. The protection company does NOT give the retailer $3200. They give them the corporate landing cost (much less) to cover a sofa that can be retailed at $3200. Therefore.... you can replace your leather with leather. One other point.... Ashley doesn't carry a $3200 sofa.... was it a sectional?

rated:
lisarnease said:   By the way.... protection is 3rd party. Ashley Homestore is almost always a franchise. The protection company does NOT give the retailer $3200. They give them the corporate landing cost (much less) to cover a sofa that can be retailed at $3200. Therefore.... you can replace your leather with leather. One other point.... Ashley doesn't carry a $3200 sofa.... was it a sectional?
  OP didn't say it was a sofa.
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1568130?showmessage=19871564
" leather sofa set (sofa, love seat and single ) "

How do you know Ashley doesn't offer a $3200 sofa?

ETA: I didn't see 2/3 of the last three responses when I asked that. It's pretty obvious how Lisa knows what Ashley does and doesn't offer

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
rustum said:   Ashley gave us a store credit.
So go get some new furniture.  End of story.  A company is not going to just refund your money on a warranty claim on 3 year old furniture, and there's nothing in your story here that would lead anyone to conclude that they aren't acting in good faith.  

agreed.  just go in there with an eye for quality and buy the best you can.
in honor of mother's day, my mom would say 'get off your high horse'.

Skipping 5 Messages...
rated:
Going to list it on cg and see some one interested. Otherwise, will buy something. They gave me until July 15th to burn this credit.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017