• filter:

Home insurance and Bio-hazard?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My mother passed away, decomposed in the house for 2 weeks. At the time of her passing, insurance agent told me it wasn't covered, so the house sat in Bio-hazard for months until I got out of the army. I later on found out it was when the bio clean up company called my insurance adjuster and found out it was 100% covered. Everything was going smoothly, Bio company cleaned, gutted the house that was contaminated, only thing remained was the vinyl in the kitchen because it had asbestos and now all of sudden the Adjuestor sends me a letter saying that's all he is paying and rest is coming out of the bio company check including reconstruction. What should I do? I got hold of the declaration policy, as it seems it covered and their not trying to pay for it all.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
bitkingdom said:   My mother passed away, decomposed in the house for 2 weeks. At the time of her passing, insurance agent told me it wasn't covered, so the house sat in Bio-hazard for months until I got out of the army. I later on found out it was when the bio clean up company called my insurance adjuster and found out it was 100% covered. Everything was going smoothly, Bio company cleaned, gutted the house that was contaminated, only thing remained was the vinyl in the kitchen because it had asbestos and now all of sudden the Adjuestor sends me a letter saying that's all he is paying and rest is coming out of the bio company check including reconstruction. What should I do? I got hold of the declaration policy, as it seems it covered and their not trying to pay for it all.  Sorry for your loss.

The first step is to post intelligible questions, because I can't figure out what you're saying. Who and when found out and what was 100% covered? What is "all he is paying?" What do you mean by "coming out of the bio company check?" The insurance paid the bio company and is now trying to take some of that payment back?

Does the information you received from the adjuster tell you what to do if you disagree with his findings and want to dispute them? That might be your next step. Send them the parts of your policy that clearly state what's covered. If disputing doesn't go anywhere, you can try your state insurance commissioner and/or state attorney general. You could also get a lawyer, who might write a strongly-worded letter before filing a lawsuit. There may be legal resources available to you through the army. Also there are laws that create special treatment (like financial protection) for military personnel, but I'm not sure if anything like that applies in this case.

rated:
bitkingdom said:    Bio company cleaned, gutted the house that was contaminated, only thing remained was the vinyl in the kitchen because it had asbestos 
  Did she die in the kitchen? If so why was the house gutted? 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017