• filter:

web site to compare home insurance

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
There are web sites for comparing health insurance; and I just saw a new web site to compare auto insurance [everquote.com].

Is there a web site form comparing home insurance?

TIA

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Not really. Homes aren't really fungible like cars, so the long quoting process for all the variables makes it not great for an online marketplace. An independent agent can quote multiple lines for you easily. Add in quotes yourself from direct firms like USAA and you've got it covered.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Not really. Homes aren't really fungible like cars, so the long quoting process for all the variables makes it not great for an online marketplace. An independent agent can quote multiple lines for you easily. Add in quotes yourself from direct firms like USAA and you've got it covered.

Isn't USAA really hard to beat... period?

rated:
Not necessarily. The idea that one company is always cheaper isn't really true anymore. Getting quotes every few years is the only way to be sure, unfortunately.

rated:
My prior insurer (of several years) increased my rates by close to 50% between home and auto last year. I usually check prices every 2 years (or anytime annual premium changes by more than a few bucks). There isn't a super convenient way given how variable each insurer prices their products. Some are super focused on specific risk factors (wood siding, brush within a few miles, age of home wiring, etc), while others rely heavily on automated underwriting databases to generate a quote (then you customize for dog breeds, expensive jewelry, etc.)

I have not seen a good way to get multiple quotes from a variety of insurers simultaneously. I have had success with calling a couple independent agents, giving them my specifics, then having them generate a handful of quotes a piece. I also make a point to call a couple direct insurers like Amica, Wawanesa, etc.

I spend a good hour or so doing so. Some of the biggest challenges is doing the math on combining home and auto (and umbrella) for discounts that may or may not outweigh a cheaper individual line. Like Wawanesa used to always be cheaper on auto than anyone but was brutal on home and offered no multi-policy discount (at the time). While Travelers or Amica might be more expensive on auto but cheaper on home after factoring multi-policy discount.

Good luck.

Insurers are incentivized to give you a discount as a new customer to get your business and I've noticed, as have countless others, them jacking up rates for long-time customers. Vote with your wallet.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Not really. Homes aren't really fungible like cars, so the long quoting process for all the variables makes it not great for an online marketplace. An independent agent can quote multiple lines for you easily. Add in quotes yourself from direct firms like USAA and you've got it covered.There aren't that many variables and the quoting process isn't that long. They just need to know the size of the house and the construction materials used to determine reconstruction costs, I'm sure there are a few databases that have all this info, because that's what they use. I think it's actually a great idea and I'm a little surprised that it doesn't exist yet. Perhaps these databases are controlled by the insurances companies themselves and they don't want to provide external access to them.

rated:
As mentioned above, I think the best & easiest way is to identify one or two local independent agents (get referrals from friends & neighbors), and ask them to provide quotes on home & auto.  You can fax or email them the declaration pages from your current policies.  I don't mind answering a few questions (what kind of dog do you have?), but I personally balk at the 50+ questions that some companies want answered.

As also stated above, there seems to be very little loyalty discount any more, and sometimes it's even a loyalty premium ( no pun intended).

rated:
As per my opinion you should check out three different organization or companies that offers such brilliant insurance of auto and home. I am sure that you will definitely compare through that very easily. Though i am pretty sure that home insurance is still lacking behind than auto but i am also sure that there would a website that offers home insurance that help you maintain your home during earthquake, land sliding etc.

rated:
zdkformationsservices said:   As per my opinion you should check out three different organization or companies that offers such brilliant insurance of auto and home. I am sure that you will definitely compare through that very easily. Though i am pretty sure that home insurance is still lacking behind than auto but i am also sure that there would a website that offers home insurance that help you maintain your home during earthquake, land sliding etc.
  R u a bot?

Agree with above. Shop around every 2 years at least. They jack up rates after you've been with them. If you have car and house then there can be HUGE discounts in getting them at one company so it means you really need to shop around and get everything quoted both independently and combined to see what is best. My current company (nationwide) was signficantly worse on car and home, but when I combined them it became the best option. I used an independent agent who shopped several companies.

rated:
i found it you just need to call 1 or 2 insurance broker and they do the comparison and gives you best quote. There isn't any good website so you can do it yourself.

I have been proctastinating it for my vac home in FL.. and it went upto $1,600 (from $1,000 few years back). Called up two brokers and new rate is about half .. $800. Lesson learned - every 2 years or so, you need to shop around for new rates. They're sort of like cable company - after initial promo, within 1 or 2 years they jack up the price.

rated:
prozario said:   i found it you just need to call 1 or 2 insurance broker and they do the comparison and gives you best quote. There isn't any good website so you can do it yourself.

I have been proctastinating it for my vac home in FL.. and it went upto $1,600 (from $1,000 few years back). Called up two brokers and new rate is about half .. $800. Lesson learned - every 2 years or so, you need to shop around for new rates. They're sort of like cable company - after initial promo, within 1 or 2 years they jack up the price.

At least the cable companies tell you what the promo versus regular rate is. Insurance companies do not. Some regulation around this would be welcome. As well as some sort of marketplace so that it's more efficient to shop around and consumers get a better deal.

rated:
ArmchairArchitect said:   
prozario said:   i found it you just need to call 1 or 2 insurance broker and they do the comparison and gives you best quote. There isn't any good website so you can do it yourself.

At least the cable companies tell you what the promo versus regular rate is. Insurance companies do not. Some regulation around this would be welcome. As well as some sort of marketplace so that it's more efficient to shop around and consumers get a better deal.

. I'm wondering if they do it on purpose - intentionally do not provide online comparison tool.  So they'll have less turnover as home insurance industry. 

rated:
Answer: because it is all a big freakin' scam.

rated:
"Why did my rate go up?"

"Well certain factors in your area can change"

(Finds new rate cheaper than previous rate)

Rise and repeat

rated:
just found out my offer was accepted on a house in SF bay area, after visiting the temple (ha) , I now need to find a broker for new home insurance. can someone recommend best way to find a true 'broker'?

my experience with a lender/mortgage broker was he really liked to shop at only two banks and was not a true broker in real sense. oh well, live and learn.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017