Hail damage, insurance claim approval amount very low

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Most of the houses in my neighborhood had hail damage. All of them got a big check from their insurance. My insurance sent me a check which is way lower than my neighbors'.
The only difference between them and mine is that I have a very low deductible, for that I'm paying a high premium. They all have 1%, which is about $5000 deductible, mine is $1000 deductible. I feel it's very unfair on the insurance to reduce my amount based on my low deductible.
The roofing companies' inspected my roof and said the damages are no less, it's as bad as my neighbors'.

The problem now is that the roofing companies don't want to deal with my issue because the approved amount is low.
I asked them to give their estimate, so I can send it to the insurance company, but since they are all busy they don't bother to deal with it.
I spoke to the insurance, they say if I send another estimate they probably would look at it.

Is there any way I can fight with the insurance company to reassess their estimate based on my neighbors'?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did you get any quotes ?

They didn't reduce your amount based on your low deductible. They reduced it based on something else.

Are you comparing a replacement-cost policy with a prorated one? Are all the roofs the same age and quality? Read your policy and their explanation for the number they offered.

You won't get anywhere with, "My neighbors are getting more money.". You need to establish that your damages can't be fixed for less and you have policy coverage for them. Your two chief weapons will be more estimates and familiarity with your policy language.

I know how it worked for me, is they would cut me a check for the actual value (prorated), and after I got it repaired, they made up the difference for actual replacement cost.

It very well could be that this is the case for you. The will only give you the actual cash value (what its currently WORTH) upfront, and after you get it fixed then they take the total cost, and make up the difference.

Or it could be the case your policy only covers actual cash value, and not replacement cost. In which case you might be SOL.

Every insurance policy is different, the lower claim amount your ins co approved had nothing to do with the deductible.  I'm surprised that roofing co's won't give you written estimates.  Also, how would a roofing co say that the damage to your roof is same as those of your neighbors' unless they closely checked the roof of your neighbors too?

It has nothing to do with your deductible. I'd guess they issued you an ACV (actual cash value) payment and they are holding onto the recoverable depreciation until you make the repairs.

Or the OP has an already-depreciated roof (one that's old and the neighbors is new or shingle differences, etc)... Lots of "maybe" reasons here, but we can't accurately guess unless we see two quotes side by side.

OP if you could post paperwork from insurance company showing calculations we could walk you through it and explain why you got less cash than what it costs to replace the roof.

ach1199 said:    Also, how would a roofing co say that the damage to your roof is same as those of your neighbors' unless they closely checked the roof of your neighbors too?
Presumably the roofers are in the process of repairing the neighbor's roof. But to say they're similar damage would also require inspecting OP's roof, at which point a written estimate is merely jotting something down on paper. There's more to the story if the roofers arent willing to take 5 minutes to write down what they've already told him. Especially when it's common for roofers to not make the homeowner pay the deductible portion (accepting the insurance check as payment in full), they stand to make thousands more off OP than the other homes with larger deductibles.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017