• filter:

Pondering a move to the NE

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
We live in Austin, TX and wife is interested in moving back to the NE for a new job opportunity.  I have never lived in this part of the country, but i'm already seeing that the cost of living is horrendous compared to where we currently are.  Any recommendations on cities to look at..im interested in Boston or nearby.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well, I guess I can cancel my subscription to Consumer's Report.  I can just look at the price tag to know what is bette... (more)

JepJepJep (May. 22, 2017 @ 5:28p) |

that's what conservatives keep telling me. you don't believe it ?

rufflesinc (May. 22, 2017 @ 5:32p) |

You definitely should cancel your subscription.  I'd suggest spending the money on Consumer Reports.

cestmoi123 (May. 22, 2017 @ 5:35p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Austin, from what I've been told by friends and coworkers who have moved there recently (last five years), isn't all that cheap either. I'm in lower NY and we've looked at Austin and Houston. Wasn't much difference. Especially Austin. I found that the salary:cost of living ratio was pretty similar between the two areas. Boston, I cannot comment on, but I'd imagine it's pretty similar to NYC.

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   We live in Austin, TX and wife is interested in moving back to the NE for a new job opportunity.  I have never lived in this part of the country, but i'm already seeing that the cost of living is horrendous compared to where we currently are.  Any recommendations on cities to look at..im interested in Boston or nearby.
  where is the new job?

rated:
Housing is the real key, the cost of living in NY is about 25% more, but the price of housing is 300% more

rated:
Seems that housing is the big issue anywhere I look. Looking MA, CT, PA, NY and it's all high.

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   Seems that housing is the big issue anywhere I look. Looking MA, CT, PA, NY and it's all high.
NJ?

rated:

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:    Any recommendations on cities to look at..im interested in Boston or nearby.
  And if her job ends up in NYC? Thats one hell of a daily commute. Why not just say where she will be working?

rated:
atikovi said:   
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:    Any recommendations on cities to look at..im interested in Boston or nearby.
  And if her job ends up in NYC? Thats one hell of a daily commute. Why not just say where she will be working?

MA

rated:
That narrows it down.

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   
atikovi said:   

MA

Get a map. Find where the job location is. Look at housing within a 30 min commute. 

rated:
I thought you are moving to Nebraska. WTF?

rated:
king0fSpades said:   I thought you are moving to Nebraska. WTF?
  "a move to the Nebraska"?

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   
atikovi said:   

MA

General thoughts:
Living in Boston - You didn't mention if you have kids. If you want to live downtown or close by expect to pay a lot for a small space. If you're in Boston-proper, you'll want to send your kids (if you have them) to private school.
Near suburbs - Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline are close and all very expensive. Brookline has very good schools. West Roxbury, Medford, Arlington are a little further out, but decent value. Waltham, Watertown are starting to get more expensive and schools are ok, but not great. Newton, Wellesley, Belmont, Weston, Lincoln, Lexington, Needham, Concord all have excellent schools, but are very expensive.
Further out suburbs - you start to get more reasonable values as you go outside of Rt. 95/128, but your commute time increases meaningfully.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may not want to post here. DW & I bought a house a few years ago near Boston and I've lived here a long time.

rated:
Need more info - which town is your job in?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

FYI...Nebraska is NB.  New England is NE.

rated:
ogg said:   
rufflesinc said:   

no ... nebraska is NE

rated:
Then what is New Enlgand?

rated:
ogg said:   Then what is New Enlgand?
  Home of Tom Brady and the Patriots

rated:
New England has no postal abbrev, its not a state.

MA sucks, live in NH if possible. That being said, I vacation in the MA Berkshires every year.

Taxes and liberal attitude rival CA.

rated:
  No such place. 

rated:
ogg said:   
rufflesinc said:   

FYI NB is New Brunswick...in Canada

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
ogg said:   
rufflesinc said:   

canada doesn't use two letter postal abbreviations (though they do use 3 digit area codes as part of NANP

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
forbin4040 said:   
ogg said:   

canada doesn't use two letter postal abbreviations (though they do use 3 digit area codes as part of NANP

I guess you have never been to Canada
Yes they use 2 Letter States(Provinces) up there. See the Column called Postal abbreviation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_and_territories_of_Canada 
You might notice that their 2 Letter abbreviations do not impact USA states

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
ogg said:   
rufflesinc said:   

I thought of New Balance Shoes when I saw NB, but its definitely not Nebraska (NE)

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
forbin4040 said:   
ogg said:   

I guess you have never been to Canada
Yes they use 2 Letter States(Provinces) up there. See the Column called Postal abbreviation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_and_territories_of_Canada 
You might notice that their 2 Letter abbreviations do not impact USA states

what is this then
These abbreviations are not the source of letters in Canadian postal codes, which are assigned by Canada Post on a different basis than these abbreviations.  

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
 what is this then
These abbreviations are not the source of letters in Canadian postal codes, which are assigned by Canada Post on a different basis than these abbreviations.  

Zip Codes.
Ours are 9 digit (NNNNN) theirs is a mix of Alpha and Numeric (ANA NAN)

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
 what is this then

Zip Codes.
Ours are 9 digit (NNNNN) theirs is a mix of Alpha and Numeric (ANA NAN)

damn canadians, should have copied us

rated:
BostonOne said:   
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   
atikovi said:   

MA

General thoughts:
Living in Boston - You didn't mention if you have kids. If you want to live downtown or close by expect to pay a lot for a small space. If you're in Boston-proper, you'll want to send your kids (if you have them) to private school.
Near suburbs - Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline are close and all very expensive. Brookline has very good schools. West Roxbury, Medford, Arlington are a little further out, but decent value. Waltham, Watertown are starting to get more expensive and schools are ok, but not great. Newton, Wellesley, Belmont, Weston, Lincoln, Lexington, Needham, Concord all have excellent schools, but are very expensive.
Further out suburbs - you start to get more reasonable values as you go outside of Rt. 95/128, but your commute time increases meaningfully.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may not want to post here. DW & I bought a house a few years ago near Boston and I've lived here a long time.

Arlington is more expensive than Waltham, Watertown or Medford.  It is getting the people who can't afford Lexington or Belmont.  The prices have gone up a lot in the last 10 years. 

rated:
joebos said:   
BostonOne said:   
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   
atikovi said:   

MA

General thoughts:

Arlington is more expensive than Waltham, Watertown or Medford.  It is getting the people who can't afford Lexington or Belmont.  The prices have gone up a lot in the last 10 years. 

SO everytime I say SF is not worth the $$$, someone says it's great weather, food, techjobs blah blah blah. Why do people keep moving to boston 

rated:
joebos said:   
BostonOne said:   
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   
atikovi said:   

MA

General thoughts:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-places-to-live-2016-single-family-homes/

rated:
  I can't wait until ogg tries to address some postal mail to the great plains or pacific northwest 

rated:
Some people think you need a passport to go to New Mexico.

rated:
ogg said:   
rufflesinc said:   

"Isn't there like a statue of limitations on that?""Statute.""What?""Statute of limitations. It's not a statue.""No, it's statue.""Fine, it's a sculpture of limitations."

rated:
Just grin and bare it.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
... Why do people keep moving to boston 

Are they?     (other than OP thinking about it maybe)

I didn't think the Northeast in general was gaining population via migration for quite some time.   

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
joebos said:   
BostonOne said:   
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   
atikovi said:   

MA

General thoughts:

SO everytime I say SF is not worth the $$$, someone says it's great weather, food, techjobs blah blah blah. Why do people keep moving to boston 

Good economy, low unemployment. Lots of tech, biotech, higher ed, health care jobs.
Cold winters, but no mudslides, no (real) earthquakes, few droughts, few raging fires, hardly any tornadoes, no insane heat waves.
Short drive to beaches, mountains, hiking, biking.
Some of the best schools in the country.
Close enough to NYC that going there is easy.

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   We live in Austin, TX and wife is interested in moving back to the NE for a new job opportunity.  I have never lived in this part of the country, but i'm already seeing that the cost of living is horrendous compared to where we currently are.  Any recommendations on cities to look at..im interested in Boston or nearby.
  In November 1969, at the request of the Canadian postal administration, the abbreviation for Nebraska, originally NB, was changed to NE, to avoid confusion with New Brunswick in Canada.

rated:
bucktownboy said:   
  In November 1969, at the request of the Canadian postal administration, the abbreviation for Nebraska, originally NB, was changed to NE, to avoid confusion with New Brunswick in Canada.

Now we all know ogg is likely at least 65 years old.

Skipping 120 Messages...
rated:
JepJepJep said:   
lazy72 said:   I agree with ruffles. In this country everything is standardized by cost. The more expensive it is, the better it is. Whether or not its worth the cost is another question. But no one should ever question if its better.
  Well, I guess I can cancel my subscription to Consumer's Report.  I can just look at the price tag to know what is better. 

You definitely should cancel your subscription.  I'd suggest spending the money on Consumer Reports. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017