Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Bloomberg article

I doubt this article.
Gist of the article is that:
     Auto lenders have loosened credit standards but average Credit score is rising. Hence average consumer should be gaming the system or outright fraud.

Can the collective get intelligent and diligent in a span of 10yrs? Basically since the 2009, Credit Scores are rising for auto credit.

or May be savings rate for economy as a whole gone up since 2009?

Your thoughts?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I love this quote from the article - "A growing number of borrowers have searched on the Internet for “credit score,” signaling that borrowers may be getting better at figuring out how to game their credit scores, the strategists said."  Wow.  Heckuva' cause-and-effect assumption there by the aforesaid "strategists"!  Maybe it signals that borrowers are simply more concerned about their credit scores these days, or maybe that borrowers have heard rumors and bits-and-pieces about the newer "after-FICO" credit scores like Vantage  X.x, and are searching for more info. on that - or it could mean 10 other things. 

And by the way, I'd like to know the study methodology by which the "strategists" determined that all this increase in searching for "credit score" was limited to borrowers, and did not also include others. And even if they did this properly, did they also sample the rate at which non-borrowers also searched for that same phrase - i.e., the "control group"?

Also, the 1-in-5 "inaccuracy rate" cited is in fact lower than the rate at which all consumers (borrowers and non-borrowers alike) find inaccuracies in their own credit files - at least in everything I've seen reported over the last few years.

And the final paragraph - “Something is definitely going on under the hood,” said UBS’s Mish in a telephone interview on Wednesday. “It’s not just smoke and mirrors anymore."  Whoooo!  And "the call is coming from inside the house", too!

This article says more about the state of journalism today than it says about anything else.  I used to trust Bloomberg...

The entire article was just a setup for the bad line "“Something is definitely going on under the hood"

It's the beauty of the different scoring models that FICO has developed.  As for the fraud part, how can the consumer create a fraud when they have no say in how their score is calculated?  If it meant that person with flaky or thin credit history may improve their scores thru AU method then how is that a fraud?  The CRAs, FICO and the lender they're all aware of the fact that on certain trades the prospective borrower is an AU and they're all okay with it...so where is the fraud?

You mentioned the Vantage score.  You can impact that a lot by reporting your rent payments.  I used RentReporters.com.  It was cheap and effective.  In fact coupon code CC105 takes $10 off.

Gaming your Credit Score, isn't this exactly how an App-O-Rama works?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017