Bluebird account about to be closed - Should I keep it open?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Amex just sent me an email saying my Bluebird card account is going to be closed because it has a zero balance and hasn't been used in a year. I signed up for a bluebird card back in 2014 during a promo where you would get extra money from Walmart Savings Catcher if you had the money sent to a Bluebird card. I can't remember the last time I used the card. I can't remember the last time I used Walmart Savings Catcher, so I have no idea how much easier it is to get that money if I have a Bluebird card. I don't do much manufactured spend (MS), but if I need to do some MS in the future, I would like to keep the Bluebird card around if it is useful for that purpose (but I have no idea if it is). I have no idea what else it might be useful for. For all I know, it's better for something that I'm already doing and I didn't know I should be using it.

Should I add some money to the card to keep it open, or is it nothing special and it's no big deal if I let them close it? Is there anything I am missing out on right now by not using it. We spend about $50 per month at Walmart on the random household odds and ends. It's not our regular grocery store.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

got this email! I'm just letting amex close it...it's of no use after they blocked reloads

I kept some balance on mine, even though mine can't be loaded to. Just for Amex offers. We're in a bit of a dry spell right now, but q4 was pretty sweet for good Amex offers.

centrifuge41 said:   I kept some balance on mine, even though mine can't be loaded to. Just for Amex offers. We're in a bit of a dry spell right now, but q4 was pretty sweet for good Amex offers.

Oh wow, this is news to me. I didn't know a Bluebird card could be used for Amex offers. I don't have any Amex cards so I always skimmed by them. How do you take advantage of Amex offers with a Bluebird card?

If you log in, you can see what can be attached directly. There's usually not nearly as much as a real Amex. If an Amex Offer can be loaded to via Twitter, then that works. It pays to have balance on your card in case some twitter thing like an #AmexStaples 20 off 100 shows up.

I vote load a small amount onto the account and make a small purchase to keep it open and active.

I'm still able to make free ACH pulls from my checking account from the Bluebird app or online, but I don't think they offer that for new accounts.

I just use it a little then pay it off. I got the promo and have just used it for one or two items once a month.

I decided to load a small amount to keep it open. I'll be logging in a little more often now that centrifuge taught me there are offers.

Dont want to hijack but thought id ask this...
I let my bluebird close years ago after identity theft kept me from getting new cards. Would I be able to reopen and reload with vanilla to simply pay legit bills with it without going on the radar?

dealgain said:   got this email! I'm just letting amex close it...it's of no use after they blocked reloads

What does this mean? You can't reload it at Walmart anymore? Or you can't reload from a credit card online?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017