• filter:

Thought moving in with a roommate would save money, but...

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have a roommate from hell.  Her mother has been living in our living room for almost a month and is using it for a bedroom.  Roommate kicks me out of every room but my bedroom, as she has claimed the living room as her mother's bedroom and a storage room as her cat's room, and threatens to "call the police" if I use those rooms.   She has also claimed many of my belongings and tells me that I cannot touch them or she will "call the police."  There is an encouraged arrest policy in our area so if anyone calls about what sounds like domestic violence, we may both get arrested.  

She also said that she plans to move my belongings out of the common areas of the house and either stuff them all into my room, put them in a basement that floods regularly, or just put them on the street, completely against my will.  In fact, she's even ordered new furniture, some of which just arrived today, to take up the space that my belongings currently occupy.  Her rule is that I cannot sit on, put my belongings on, or use anything that belongs to her...

Right now I cannot afford to hire movers since I'm in school full time (but not in a program so not protected by the university), cannot drive, and do not know anyone who does.   I am outgunned...  Believe it or not, my roommate is a fifty-year-old social worker and the landlord is an attorney who is also hooked on drugs.  I am over 20 years younger.  They seemed great when I met them, but now things are way out of control.  Landlord loves my roommate and has informed me that if I make my roommate mad, roommate will lie to the police and say I did something wrong and there will be nothing I can do about it.  And my roommate has also claimed many of my belongings and tells me that I cannot touch them or she will "call the police."  Its beyond frustrating how she's misusing the law, but I guess I'm stuck.  

I live in Boston.  If you have any idea what I can legally do about this, please let me know.  Or if you know of any organization that could help, please let me know.

FYI/EDIT - 
THE HISTORY:
For full disclosure, yes the last two places I rented were duds, but I had no housemates in those places.  Actually two places ago (apartment before last, the basement apartment), was a great place for over a year (besides centipedes and mice which I tolerated), but then that changed due to a boiler malfunction as the boiler room was next to my studio apartment and there were lots of holes in the wall, etc.  I later found out why that landlord didn't want to make a repair - landlord was in the process of selling the building and it has sense been remodeled into office buildings.  In the case of that building, the fire department even concluded that there was a heating oil leak.  It was too much trouble trying to get my landlord to make the repair, so I just moved.  

Last place, before this one (the attic apartment), had serious repair issues as well, but different ones.  And I found out why that "landlord" didn't want to make repairs:  That "landlord" turned out not to own the building at all!  I was notified by a real estate company that they bought the apartment I had been living in some time ago.  The guy renting to me turned out to be the brother of the previous owner that passed away.  He's doing community service now and got in trouble for collecting rent from me and the other "tenant" and posing as a landlord for a building he didn't own.

Given all the issues, I thought that moving in with a roommate was an excellent choice: If there were serious repair issues like in my last 2 places, there would be someone else right here to witness those and help me solve problems.  Also, I thought that I would be able to afford a better place if I shared.  (For the record, I have had some excellent living situations with roommates in the past, but I guess now I'm thinking it's hit or miss.  My current opinion is that you cannot tell what a person is going to be like to live with from just meeting them a couple times.  I'm thinking it's always a gamble.)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
OP -- If you aren't trolling and really have been in these situations, please get some help for yourself. Try social se... (more)

debentureboy (May. 26, 2017 @ 6:41a) |

Did you move in to her home? You sure you're not the one who misunderstood that she was "renting a room in her home", n... (more)

Glitch99 (May. 26, 2017 @ 7:02a) |

Wanna bet that if she tries social services, her caseworker will end up being her roommate?

Glitch99 (May. 26, 2017 @ 7:03a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Find out recording laws and document everything.  Sue for blackmail intimidation emotional distress.  Get the lanlord busted with drugs somehow to tarnish credibility.  Get ready to move.

rated:
DamnoIT said:   Find out recording laws and document everything.  Sue for blackmail intimidation emotional distress.  Get the lanlord busted with drugs somehow to tarnish credibility.  Get ready to move.

Unfortunately MA is a two party state when it comes to recording, I believe.

rated:
I bet the old place looks pretty good right about now. https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1486068/

rated:
Alternate theory: get the Frick out, now. Pack what you can, leave what you can't, pay the rent or skip out, either way there is nothing about this arrangement which  tells me it will get better. Sleep on a couch, or a battered women's shelter, just get out before your roommate decides to chain you to a radiator.

Eta: given your history of living spaces,  either you may really like telling stories or you need to do a little more diligence when renting. 

rated:
kwest said:   
DamnoIT said:   Find out recording laws and document everything.  Sue for blackmail intimidation emotional distress.  Get the lanlord busted with drugs somehow to tarnish credibility.  Get ready to move.

Unfortunately MA is a two party state when it comes to recording, I believe.

But don't those 1-party, 2-party, etc., state laws apply only to covert recording?  (I could be wrong here.)     

If it is covert-only, then OP could wear a bodycam, easily visible to the roommate, and we could have some entertainment on an otherwise slow Tuesday...

rated:

rated:
The fatwallet wizard of renting is at it again

rated:
Assuming this story is true, your only choice is to find some means of paying movers, schedule moving for when she is not home, grab your stuff, and GTFO. No other realistic options.

Secondary but much worse option, because your life will still suck, would be to openly record everything as indicated above.

rated:
Maybe the OP should just return to his place under a bridge. That's clearly his natural habitat.

rated:

rated:
I'm surprised you haven't found your own place yet.

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   I'm surprised you haven't found your own place yet.

I can't afford my own place.  In fact, I was talking to several classmates who are also having trouble with roommates and we decided that you basically get what you pay for.  We are all renting very inexpensive apartments; the cheapest places we could find on Craigslist.  I've been told that if I don't pay more rent, I'm very likely to either get a studio apartment with something major wrong with it, or a housemate with serious problems assuming it's someone well above student age.  

THE HISTORY:
For full disclosure, yes the last two places I rented were duds, but I had no housemates in those places.  Actually two places ago (apartment before last, the basement apartment), was a great place for over a year (besides centipedes and mice which I tolerated), but then that changed due to a boiler malfunction as the boiler room was next to my studio apartment and there were lots of holes in the wall, etc.  I later found out why that landlord didn't want to make a repair - landlord was in the process of selling the building and it has sense been remodeled into office buildings.  In the case of that building, the fire department even concluded that there was a heating oil leak.  It was too much trouble trying to get my landlord to make the repair, so I just moved.  

Last place, before this one (the attic apartment), had serious repair issues as well, but different ones.  And I found out why that "landlord" didn't want to make repairs:  That "landlord" turned out not to own the building at all!  I was notified by a real estate company that they bought the apartment I had been living in some time ago.  The guy renting to me turned out to be the brother of the previous owner that passed away.  He's doing community service now and got in trouble for collecting rent from me and the other "tenant" and posing as a landlord for a building he didn't own.

Given all the issues, I thought that moving in with a roommate was an excellent choice: If there were serious repair issues like in my last 2 places, there would be someone else right here to witness those and help me solve problems.  Also, I thought that I would be able to afford a better place if I shared.  (For the record, I have had some excellent living situations with roommates in the past, but I guess now I'm thinking it's hit or miss.  My current opinion is that you cannot tell what a person is going to be like to live with from just meeting them a couple times.  I'm thinking it's always a gamble.)

rated:
The calendar reminder for a FW employee to post another one of these must have gone off.

rated:
FW employees can afford better places.

rated:
Gause's threads are like catnip for us. After all his drama, he should consider himself lucky to have a roof over his head at all. Next thread will be posted from the public library about the poor amenities of the homeless shelter he's residing in.

Ask for a modest stipend from FW for the traffic.

rated:
Gauss44 said:    If you have any idea what I can legally do about this, please let me know. 
  Start walking around the house buck naked. 

rated:
Again, contact a landlord tenant help resource in your area.
If you are in Boston, https://www.boston.gov/departments/neighborhood-development/offi...
If you are outside of Boston, I believe I've provided a link before in one of your numerous threads.

rated:
@ snnistle Thanks.

This is a pity me post.

rated:
BostonOne said:   The calendar reminder for a FW employee to post another one of these must have gone off.
  I thought everyone in Beliot lives in van by the river.

rated:
I hope it will all sorted soon. However, the best decision would be packing your things, everything you have there and move out to other safer and cheaper apartment. If these story of yours are all true, then your life may be in danger if you will still choose to stay there. What you just said in your post with regards to the attorney who claims to be the landlord is hooked with drugs, then you will feel scared already. You may be accused as an accomplice and your life will be threatened.

rated:
exclusivesite said:   I hope it will all sorted soon. However, the best decision would be packing your things, everything you have there and move out to other safer and cheaper apartment. If these story of yours are all true, then your life may be in danger if you will still choose to stay there. What you just said in your post with regards to the attorney who claims to be the landlord is hooked with drugs, then you will feel scared already. You may be accused as an accomplice and your life will be threatened.
  It's very unsettling.  I've been too busy with school to do much about this.  I think different people have different tolerances for stress, and in my case, religion has helped to carry me through (cue the jokes).  Right now, I'm running my situation by people, in part, to figure out what resources are available to me to help figure out what my options are.  Homeless shelters are pretty much full around here and scary from what I hear, lots of mentally ill people, abusive staff, diseases, etc.  (and, most or all, kick you out at 8am which is very early for me).  Moving companies would charge me over $1k which I do not have...  I'm sure there's a way.  Just have to find it.  There's nowhere cheaper that I can find at the moment.

A topic my classmates and me were discussing was how to screen potential housemates and dwellings...  Make sure they have a job or school and are not around all the time...  Get references...  I would be interested in other suggestions.  How do other people screen potential housemates and dwellings?  

rated:
Gauss44 said:   I have a roommate from hell.  Her mother has been living in our living room for almost a month and is using it for a bedroom. 

Did you tap them?
Pics of roomie and her mom?

rated:
Gauss44 said:   
exclusivesite said:   I hope it will all sorted soon. However, the best decision would be packing your things, everything you have there and move out to other safer and cheaper apartment. If these story of yours are all true, then your life may be in danger if you will still choose to stay there. What you just said in your post with regards to the attorney who claims to be the landlord is hooked with drugs, then you will feel scared already. You may be accused as an accomplice and your life will be threatened.
  It's very unsettling.  I've been too busy with school to do much about this.  I think different people have different tolerances for stress, and in my case, religion has helped to carry me through (cue the jokes).  Right now, I'm running my situation by people, in part, to figure out what resources are available to me to help figure out what my options are.  Homeless shelters are pretty much full around here and scary from what I hear, lots of mentally ill people, abusive staff, diseases, etc.  (and, most or all, kick you out at 8am which is very early for me).  Moving companies would charge me over $1k which I do not have...  I'm sure there's a way.  Just have to find it.  There's nowhere cheaper that I can find at the moment.

A topic my classmates and me were discussing was how to screen potential housemates and dwellings...  Make sure they have a job or school and are not around all the time...  Get references...  I would be interested in other suggestions.  How do other people screen potential housemates and dwellings?  

Have you ever considered that you maybe the problem? No offense but being in that many housing issues/disputes in various other threads over time is not normal.....on another note use mysmartmove or something and do as a landlord would do to perform checks.

rated:
Why not sell everything you have on CL? That way you have some money to move out and start fresh. Not only will you piss off your roomie with people constantly in and out, but you won't have to pay to move anything!

rated:
Has anyone here read A Confederacy of Dunces?

rated:
When do classes end for the summer?

rated:
Based off your assumptions about the mentally ill living in homeless shelters, I'm thinking you've found your Peeps

rated:
Go to the university and ask to get into student housing ASAP as an emergency situation and explain the situation. Should be a lot of vacancies in summer.

What are you studying?

rated:
jerosen said:   Go to the university and ask to get into student housing ASAP as an emergency situation and explain the situation. Should be a lot of vacancies in summer.

What are you studying?

My bet is on psychology ....

rated:
PhDeez said:   Why not sell everything you have on CL? That way you have some money to move out and start fresh. Not only will you piss off your roomie with people constantly in and out, but you won't have to pay to move anything!
  Based upon the way the roomie is treating the OP it sounds like you should start posting their stuff for sale on craigslist.  Even if you don't sell the stuff, post it for cheap with their number.  Put the place up for rent cheap with their number.

I'd move out.  lifes too short to deal with this stuff.  Bring a friend and take your stuff, if needed, let the police be called.  Maybe call them yourself.  If you can't afford it, don't hire movers, move things yourself, get your friends, rent a truck.  

rated:
Gauss44 said:   
...I'm in school full time (but not in a program so not protected by the university)

Anyone know what this means?

OP - move all your shit into your room immediately, and put a lock on the door.  Pack up any valuables and get the hell out.  Don't leave anything in your room that you wouldn't mind never seeing again.  

rated:
All these threads by the same OP sounds like practice for some sort of creative writing class, or possibly gathering responses for some poorly-researched poll...

OR, after 10 different rental issues, maybe there is a common thread here? I guess we're supposed to believe you have the worst luck in the world, and your roommate just went crazy for absolutely no reason? You were sweet as pie to her and then she went psycho on you with zero provocation?

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   All these threads by the same OP sounds like practice for some sort of creative writing class, or possibly gathering responses for some poorly-researched poll...

OR, after 10 different rental issues, maybe there is a common thread here? I guess we're supposed to believe you have the worst luck in the world, and your roommate just went crazy for absolutely no reason? You were sweet as pie to her and then she went psycho on you with zero provocation?

Maybe it's Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. OP makes us sick of their ****. And OP feels better.

rated:
How can it cost 1k to move when you're renting a room in someone's house? A bed, a desk, a chair, maybe some pots and pans?

rated:
OP's MO:

1) Post about dire living situation and immediate need for help
2) FWF community jumps in with a mix of concerned feedback and calls of trolling
3) OP ghosts away without letting us know what happened
4) ???
5) Repeat starting at #1

rated:
OP doesn't have time to move but he/she sure has a lot of time to post on FW.

There are people in medical school that find the time to work part time, some even with kids. I'm sure whatever program OP is in isn't as rigorous.

rated:
BostonOne said:   OP's MO:

2) FWF community jumps in with a mix of concerned feedback and calls of trolling
4) ???
5) Repeat starting at #1

Now if the OP had a line item of "2.5)  Start a GoFundMe, make pleas for financial help online", then I could at least understand the rationale... 

rated:
BostonOne said:   OP's MO:

4) ???
5) Repeat starting at #1

No Profit?

Skipping 5 Messages...
rated:
debentureboy said:   OP -- If you aren't trolling and really have been in these situations, please get some help for yourself. Try social services or your school health care system (if you really are in school).
  Wanna bet that if she tries social services, her caseworker will end up being her roommate?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017