• filter:

Paypal dispute in sellers favor? This happens

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I have heard the endless horror stories about how as a seller you are pretty much at the mercy of a buyer for some time but I thought I would share a recent win I had.  A couple months back a item worth around 100+ was won and I shipped it within hours to a buyer with 0 feedback then got a alert from eBay about 8 hours later that the account was suspended for suspicious activity.  I did what I was told and requested an intercept (would cost me $20 worth or shipping) and it was granted but USPS still delivered it to the scammer.  The worst thing is that the tracking never showed it as delivered.  So 2 months later I got contacted from Paypal citing a chargeback or unauthorized use and they were going to look at the package and tracking on it then make a call.  Well 5 days after that past they actually ruled in my favor.  I did ship to a confirmed address and paid for shipping all within paypal.  I was surprised I wasn't out the $100.  Moral of the story may be wait at least 24hours to ship in case they flag accounts so you can avoid the trouble. 

About 1 year ago I also had a chargeback request from paypal in regard to a phone with a bad ESN that had a clean one.  They kept telling me to refund and I balked at that when I reached out to the cell provider and showed receipts in the dispute.  I responded timely and thankfully the person who started the claim didn't continue to lie otherwise I think I would have had to pay out.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It's nice to hear when the system actually "works." I wonder whether there are any statistics describing how many times Paypal/eBay actually sides with the seller...  My Google-fu didn't come up with anything overly helpful.

rated:
I've had similar issues where I was paid and received the "OK to ship" email and then got a "Do not ship" after. The do not ship email always says if you have already shipped you'll be covered as the seller.

I had a buyer file a request through eBay for a return (Not as advertised). For the reason he wrote "I don't like this, I want to get a different laptop."

I thought for sure I was going to have to accept the return, but they ruled in my favor. Now, if he had half a brain and wrote ANYTHING else, "DOA" "Not the same model," etc, I'd be stuck I'm sure.

rated:
The horror stories are mostly from sellers who have done something wrong too, but eBay sides with the buyer. You don't hear about all the times nothing goes wrong, or all the times eBay sides with the seller. If the seller was really doing something wrong they can dispute with eBay, with paypal, with the credit card, and then in small claims court. As a seller you really only have one chance to dispute before going to court, and it is almost never worth it to go to court. If you do the basics right, take more than 2 pictures, describe any flaws, accurately describe the condition, ship only to the confirmed address you will be fine 95+% of the time. You will still get returns eventually, and it is always possible someone will commit mail fraud but it is rare. Just the cost of business. eBay will make you take returns in some cases, but it is much more fair than Amazon.

rated:
I haven't had any bad experiences buying or selling, and I have done both.  However, kudos to you for not only getting the favorable outcome, but also for doing your due diligence.  I would guess that a lot of complaints about the system not working come from individuals that are not patient enough to follow the steps, or cross their Is and dot their Ts.  They likely want to make a complaint and have someone else do the "dirty work" for them, rather than taking the time to do it themselves.  Seems like most people want to complain about stuff like this, but either don't want to put in the effort to fix it, or they are ignorant about how to fix it.

My motto is: You've got to fight to keep what's yours or someone else will gladly take it from you.

rated:
snnistle said:   I haven't had any bad experiences buying or selling, and I have done both.  However, kudos to you for not only getting the favorable outcome, but also for doing your due diligence.  I would guess that a lot of complaints about the system not working come from individuals that are not patient enough to follow the steps, or cross their Is and dot their Ts.  They likely want to make a complaint and have someone else do the "dirty work" for them, rather than taking the time to do it themselves.  Seems like most people want to complain about stuff like this, but either don't want to put in the effort to fix it, or they are ignorant about how to fix it.

My motto is: You've got to fight to keep what's yours or someone else will gladly take it from you.

The irony here is that I didn't even have to fight the fraud or contact them, they saw it was shipped (never stated as delivered) and said you followed through on the case letting me know it was over.  Paypal did have me in a red balance for the 5 days it was investigated but that was corrected.  I was amazed that they just kicked it back without any efforts.  The phone was a different story and they wanted me to cave right away.  Glad the buyer didn't persist with the lie.  I think some may have motivations to do that on occasion just to test a seller for a discount or a full win (keep item and get refund).  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017