Cable installer damaged baseboard. Advice needed

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Greetings FW.   The contractor that the cable company sent to install a new cable line damaged the base board when he used a drill to attach the coaxial cable with screw on clamps.  He improperly used his drill and this left cracks in my base board.  The cable company wants to send their contractor to repair the damage, but how do I know that the work will not be shoddy?  Initially the cable contractor stated that he would use a filler to cover the cracks, however I informed the cable company rep that this was unacceptable.  The cable company is trying to get me to accept a ridiculous credit of $100 on my bill. I am looking at minimum 22 feet of base board that needs to be replaced. How would FW advise me on this matter? Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Kodi video streaming quality is awful. I guess people will like anything if it's free.
20 year old standard def rules!!!

kingdoodler88 (May. 30, 2017 @ 10:38p) |

It sucks, but cable installers aren't really held to the standard of home theatre techs. I'd take the $100 and patch/pai... (more)

TravelerMSY (May. 31, 2017 @ 12:06p) |

wilked (May. 31, 2017 @ 1:23p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The post is worthless without pictures.

I personally would accept the $100 and fix it myself or just live with it.

Just because he damaged part of your baseboard doesn't mean you get a 'new' baseboard. Without a lawsuit.

Yeah, honestly, unless this was custom stained wood, you'd make out better with $100 credit to slap a new piece up yourself.

What kind of wood?

Stained or painted?

What makes you think you have a single piece of 22 ft baseboard?

Nightmare customer... Almost feel sorry for the contractor.

Yea no way 22 feet

Offer seems reasonable

dhodson said:   Yea no way 22 feet

Offer seems reasonable

gruntwork said:   What makes you think you have a single piece of 22 ft baseboard?
  I need a twelve foot piece on one side and ten foot on the other side in the shape of an "L".  It is a long run to the computer because the installer did not want to fish the line through the wall and install a new outlet. I have several 2-3 inch horizontal cracks at each screw that he used.  Thanks anyway FW.

$100 is more than fair.

Take the $100

Installers never fish through walls unless you pay extra. next time, hire an electrician to prewire before the cable company shows up.

woowoo2 said:   Installers never fish through walls unless you pay extra. next time, hire an electrician to prewire before the cable company shows up.
Hats what I was thinking. For such a picky homeowner to worry about sealing / painting baseboard cracks but to also be ok with cable wires running all over the place? 🤔

Retailnever said:   
[I have several 2-3 inch horizontal cracks at each screw that he used.  Thanks anyway FW.

A little wood filler, sandpaper, and some touch up paint. It's a fifteen minute job, plus some drying time between filler and sanding and painting.

woowoo2 said:   Installers never fish through walls unless you pay extra. next time, hire an electrician to prewire before the cable company shows up.
Never say never. They've fished through attic to replace cabling fished under the house and eventually eaten by critters.

On the other hand the installer was out of double faceplates and made one out a 1 gang one. Looked terrible but at least was behind equipment.

It's going to look weird when only 22 feet of baseboard has crown moulding.

1. Putty
2. Paint
3. Profit!

OP,get as much as you can from these hacks. Thats how they feel about you , so its justified.

Don't listen to these other posters, they probably live in barns. They could care less what their place looks like.

What's wrong with living in a barn? 

Retailnever said:   Greetings FW.   The contractor that the cable company sent to install a new cable line damaged the base board when he used a drill to attach the coaxial cable with screw on clamps.  He improperly used his drill and this left cracks in my base board.  The cable company wants to send their contractor to repair the damage, but how do I know that the work will not be shoddy?  Initially the cable contractor stated that he would use a filler to cover the cracks, however I informed the cable company rep that this was unacceptable.  The cable company is trying to get me to accept a ridiculous credit of $100 on my bill. I am looking at minimum 22 feet of base board that needs to be replaced. How would FW advise me on this matter? Thanks.

Feel fortunate they are giving you $100.

Take this advice from a contractor with many years of experience. Grab the $100 credit and be happy with it. As many have stated above, put some wood filler in and patch the cracks yourself or pay someone to do it if you are nervous about another contractor. First take the screws out and pre-drill the hole so the crack won't expand.

22 linear feet of baseboard installed will cost you about $150, depending on the type of wood and the profile of the BB. $100 is not an unreasonable offer.

No charge for the tip.

You remind me of a customer I dealt with many years ago running a mobile detailing business. One of the employees tore her 15 year old tint that was already pealing off on one window. I offered to put fresh tint on that window. She refused and wanted the cash for a complete new tint job on the entire car. The only reasonable course of action for me was to block her number and wait to see if she sued since I knew she would only win less than the $400 she wanted. She sued and won literally nothing since the tint she was using was rated for something like 5 years anyways.

The point is $100 is probably more then you'd ever win after your time and court costs if you sued. You should probably take the reasonable offer before they decide to make you sue to get any money. Small claims court judges are usually pretty strict on the burden of proof for plaintiffs (do you have records of when the baseboard was installed and it's estimated useful life to prorate a fair amount? I bet not) that refuse reasonable offers and instead sue in small claims court.

Counter and say you did some estimates and it will cost 200 and settle at $150 and call it a day.

Probably cannot sue. All cable companies have mandatory arbitration, which is a kangaroo-court that they control and sides with them 99% of the time. Take the $100. Get even by switching to Kodi.

>> how do I know that the work will not be shoddy?

How do you know anyone's work won't be 'shoddy', as you say? I'd say take the offer.

If you think this is horrible, unjust thing to happen to you, remind me to tell you about the cable contractor that drilled through the brick wall of the my house, hit a 220v electrical conduit and blew out two of my breakers.

Count yourself fortunate..

RidicuRuss said:   Probably cannot sue. All cable companies have mandatory arbitration, which is a kangaroo-court that they control and sides with them 99% of the time. Take the $100. Get even by switching to Kodi.
  Kodi video streaming quality is awful. I guess people will like anything if it's free.
20 year old standard def rules!!!

It sucks, but cable installers aren't really held to the standard of home theatre techs. I'd take the $100 and patch/paint it myself. If your baseboard is anything other than just a piece of cheap 1x4, you definitely don't want to start taking it apart for just a crack.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017