• filter:

Anyone affected by Hotels.com account hack?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I received an e-mail from Hotels.com on 5/12/17 that several of their accounts were hacked.  

“We are writing to make you aware of recent activity involving Hotels.com accounts that leads us to believe that some of your personal information, including your reward nights, may have been accessed by an unauthorized user. However, rest assured that your full credit card information was not compromised on our website. On April 19-26, 2017, we detected unusual user activity with a number of accounts, including yours, which we believe resulted from an unauthorized user accessing the accounts using customers’ usernames and passwords. The accessed data could have included your name, address, e-mail address, hotel booking history, reward nights, and the last four digits of your stored credit card—but only if a user selected the option to save credit card numbers."

Later, I found that I could not login to my account.  I called them up, they told me that my account was closed and they will restore the account in 72 hours.  Nothing happened after that.  I am assuming my rewards, rewards nights etc have been misutilized by the hackers but I am not sure as I can not see the account any more.  

Hotels.com customer service is pretty pathetic (goes to somewhere in South America), they just take information and say that you will receive an e-mail.

Has anyone else been affected by this?  Searching up the internet on Hotels.com hack does not bring much information.  Does anyone know direct number of Hotels.com management or special e-mail which will take care of this issue so that my account with the rewards get restored?  With the regular customer service line (800-246-8357), I am not getting any results.  Anyone knows better way to deal with this?   

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
sg94ahpw said:   I received an e-mail from Hotels.com on 5/12/17 that several of their accounts were hacked.  

“We are writing to make you aware of recent activity involving Hotels.com accounts that leads us to believe that some of your personal information, including your reward nights, may have been accessed by an unauthorized user. However, rest assured that your full credit card information was not compromised on our website. On April 19-26, 2017, we detected unusual user activity with a number of accounts, including yours, which we believe resulted from an unauthorized user accessing the accounts using customers’ usernames and passwords. The accessed data could have included your name, address, e-mail address, hotel booking history, reward nights, and the last four digits of your stored credit card—but only if a user selected the option to save credit card numbers."

Later, I found that I could not login to my account.  I called them up, they told me that my account was closed and they will restore the account in 72 hours.  Nothing happened after that.  I am assuming my rewards, rewards nights etc have been misutilized by the hackers but I am not sure as I can not see the account any more.  

Hotels.com customer service is pretty pathetic (goes to somewhere in South America), they just take information and say that you will receive an e-mail.

Has anyone else been affected by this?  Searching up the internet on Hotels.com hack does not bring much information.  Does anyone know direct number of Hotels.com  management or special e-mail which will take care of this issue so that my account with the rewards get restored?  With the regular customer service line (800-246-8357), I am not getting any results.  Anyone knows better way to deal with this?   

Try to reach out to them on Twitter or call customer service again, they have multiple call centers.

rated:
jliehr said:   Try to reach out to them on Twitter or call customer service again, they have multiple call centers.
Thanks a lot for the idea.  Checked the Twitter account for Hotels.com.  It seems there is one guy who posted the same question.  Unfortunately, the response on Twitter is to call the customer service (800-246-8357).

I can't believe there is no other way to reach Hotels.com which can be more responsive.

rated:
My account is the same. 3 years history and gold status gone. Plus $400 in earned nights missing. I never got an email about a data breach and customer services says this is different. I strongly doubt that. Been told to wait 72 hours as well but guessing I may have seen the end of Hotels.com. My account is australia-based.

rated:
My account is the same. 3 years history and gold status gone. Plus $400 in earned nights missing. I never got an email about a data breach and customer services says this is different. I strongly doubt that. Been told to wait 72 hours as well but guessing I may have seen the end of Hotels.com. My account is australia-based.

rated:
I did. Attempted to book a hotel in Cedar Rapids, MI. They were denied. New card to be delivered tomorrow. Almost began updating my autopays from the last hack. Good thing I didn't.

rated:
Mine was hacked as well. Same song and dance when I called to report. Fortunately, the person trying to use my nights failed to remove my email address from the account. I was able to cancel their non-refundable reservation. I also have her name, last 4 of her cc, email address and billing zip. I'm going to keep an eye out to see if they try to rebook and will cancel that as well. Bastards.

rated:
Also got my e-mail address changed by someone. I've called the stupid Hotels.com customer service with the same exact experience (they say that they've "escalated" to the rewards team and that they'll get in contact soon). I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem because it feels like I'm thrown into a void every single time they reach the same conclusion and tell me that I'll be contacted within 72 hours, and literally it's a dead end because the only thing I can do after *not* getting the call is calling their helpless customer service again.

rated:
This is really so disappointing. My uncle's account is also used by a hacker. The personal information is used by another person and that's not good. 

rated:
I had exactly the same thing happen. I received an email from Hotels.com showing my upcoming reservation for a hotel in China that I did not reserve. Interestingly, the email did not come to me until the day after the reservation date...I can no longer access my Hotels.com account, but it shows that they used my free night to book the hotel. I called customer service and the woman repeated herself over and over that it was escalated to her manager and I will receive a call back in 72 hours. She did not even ask me for my name. I have a feeling I won't see the reward night again, and I will no longer be using Hotels.com after being a very loyal customer for many years. 

rated:
Same most exact thing happened to my free night as sz50. Occurred on April 29, but I just discovered it.

Called them today. Manager will call back in 24 hours. I hope can make this right. I have been a long time customer. 30+ nights.

rated:
I never received an email from Hotels.com about my account being hacked, but apparently somebody in China stole my rewards a couple of days ago and stayed at the Beijing Airport Hilton on June 12th. I've tried to change my password, but I guess the hacker changed it for me and now I can't get into my account. I sent customer service an email and I'm waiting for a reply.

rated:
Did anyone hear back from Hotels.com about their lost reward night(s)? Should I just consider mine lost and book elsewhere?

I called back today and got the 72 hour response again. Their customer service dept is not equipped to make this right.

rated:
Not yet...I am not getting my hopes up, but for a site as big as Hotels.com, we should get some type of compensation!

rated:
I am trying the twitter DM route...

Thanks for waiting. We have checked that your new account doesn't have night yet transferred from your old account. Don't worry, we have made a follow up to our Welcome Rewards Team for further assistance and this will take 72 hours. We would appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

Still hopefully.

rated:
My free night reinstalled on my new account today.

Twitter DM route is an efficient way to get around the customer service waits and run rounds.

Good luck guys.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017