• filter:

Chase Southwest Airlines Credit Card - 60,000 Points after $2,000 Spent in First 3 Months

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Chase Southwest Airlines Credit Card - 60,000 Points after $2,000 Spent in First 3 Months

Works on the following Cards:
Plus ($69/YR Fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60KPlus?
Premier ($99/YR Fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPremier?
Business ($99/YR Fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPremierBizL

This site may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on certain links posted on this website. These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Applied for plus and premier card (1 week apart). Both approved.
*********Details*********Had not applied for Chase cards... (more)

sunsatday (Jul. 07, 2017 @ 12:14a) |

Seems like Chase may have withdrawn the Personal Premier Card offer/premier card? Doesn't list anymore on their website ... (more)

mohan66 (Jul. 13, 2017 @ 10:04a) |

yes

marcopolomle (Jul. 13, 2017 @ 12:02p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I'm waiting (expecting) another points devaluation now that they're on a more "flexible" scheduling/pricing system. I bet the $0.015/pt (plus no airport fees) redemptions will be much harder to find. Maybe just speculation at this point,though.

I'm almost out of RR points though and mainly have UR points, so if they do then I will just book thesouthwest points direct through Chase at $0.015

rated:
These still count for companion pass like they used to? I'm past 24 month window so should grab them again...

rated:
jd2010 said:   These still count for companion pass like they used to? I'm past 24 month window so should grab them again...

Yes.  They are subject to Chase's 5/24 rule though.

rated:
Great offer. Too bad I am way past 5/24.

rated:
Can someone explain 5/24 rule to me?

rated:
So how do people make this work. Do you get two of these card (biz & personal) to push over 100K points? My understanding is you can't combine points from family member/spouse.

rated:
prozario said:   My understanding is you can't combine points from family member/spouse.
  Bus +pers is how I've done it.
That said, i have a relative and their spouse who both entered the same RR account number on their apps and both of their cards are linked to one Southwest account.  They opened them ~5years ago though.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
prozario said:   My understanding is you can't combine points from family member/spouse.
  Bus +pers is how I've done it.
That said, i have a relative and their spouse who both entered the same RR account number on their apps and both of their cards are linked to one Southwest account.  They opened them ~5years ago though.

thanks ... that's what i thought.  Only realistic way is to do both bus & personal.  Appears southwest policy doesn't allow to combine/share RR# .. otherwise .. lot more people would be doing it.  

I'll wait till beginning of next year to get maximum benefit ... as you get to use the benefit year you achieve it, plus the year after.

rated:
prozario said:   
thanks ... that's what i thought.  Only realistic way is to do both bus & personal.  

Not correct. No business card is required. My wife and I both just got a companion pass using the Plus and Premier, both cards personal.

1) I got the Plus with 50k RR points after $2k spend
2) I generated a Plus referral for her giving her the same offer, plus I got a 5k RR points referral bonus
3) She got the Premier card with 50k RR points after $2k spend
4) She generated a Premier referral for me giving me the same offer, plus she got a 5k RR points referral bonus
5) We each now had 100k bonus, plus 4k points from spend, plus 5k points from referral, and we each only needed to spend an additional $1k to reach the companion pass
6) We now have 110k points each. We should get 3 round trips out of that for only $336 up front (2*$69 + 2*$99) and $44.80 per trip in TSA fees. Total cost $470.40 for 3 round trips for a family of 4. Hard to beat that deal

Note, you can probably speed this all up by overlapping steps 1 & 3, and overlapping steps 2 & 4 (ie: have the 2nd person get the cards in the opposite order and refer each other simultaneously).

rated:
Here's what the southwest website says:
" To qualify, simply fly 100 qualifying one-way flights or earn 110,000 qualifying points in a calendar year, and you’ll earn Companion Pass for the following full calendar year, plus the remainder of the year in which you earned it."

Does that mean if I get 110k miles by July 2017 (and thus get a companion pass) I will have that companion pass from July 2017 through end of December 2018?

rated:
Yes xnarg. And if this promo was running a little later.... You could instead get the 2 bonuses on Jan 1(ish) 2018 and it would run though dec 31 2019. There may not be 60k offer running then though.

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   Here's what the southwest website says:
" To qualify, simply fly 100 qualifying one-way flights or earn 110,000 qualifying points in a calendar year, and you’ll earn Companion Pass for the following full calendar year, plus the remainder of the year in which you earned it."

Does that mean if I get 110k miles by July 2017 (and thus get a companion pass) I will have that companion pass from July 2017 through end of December 2018?

Through December 2018.  Its a great deal if you are under 5/24 (For the person that asked that means that you have opened less than 5 credit cards in the past 24 months.  If you have opened 5 or more cards in the last 24 months Chase will deny you, and they are hardcore about it)

rated:
LordKronos said:   
prozario said:   
thanks ... that's what i thought.  Only realistic way is to do both bus & personal.  

Not correct. No business card is required. My wife and I both just got a companion pass using the Plus and Premier, both cards personal.

2) I generated a Plus referral for her giving her the same offer, plus I got a 5k RR points referral bonus
4) She generated a Premier referral for me giving me the same offer, plus she got a 5k RR points referral bonus
5) We each now had 100k bonus, plus 4k points from spend, plus 5k points from referral, and we each only needed to spend an additional $1k to reach the companion pass
6) We now have 110k points each. We should get 3 round trips out of that for only $336 up front (2*$69 + 2*$99) and $44.80 per trip in TSA fees. Total cost $470.40 for 3 round trips for a family of 4. Hard to beat that deal

Note, you can probably speed this all up by overlapping steps 1 & 3, and overlapping steps 2 & 4 (ie: have the 2nd person get the cards in the opposite order and refer each other simultaneously).

great thanks .. basically each person needs to get 2 cards (any two out of 3 variation of the cards).

rated:
DistalPistol said:   Can someone explain 5/24 rule to me?
http://bfy.tw/C6y9

rated:
Hmmm, how many cards do you have from Chase before getting 2 more? I have 3 cards with Chase now and I'm not sure if they're going to give me 2 more even if I'm under 5/24.

rated:
Does the 5/24 rule apply to their business card as well?

rated:
u2head8 said:   Hmmm, how many cards do you have from Chase before getting 2 more? I have 3 cards with Chase now and I'm not sure if they're going to give me 2 more even if I'm under 5/24.
I've never run into complaints from Chase for the number of cards they've issued me, just the combined CL across all cards. Several times, in order to get approved for new cards, I've had to call their reconsideration line (after receiving an application deferral message), where they approved me by manually reallocating credit from one (or more) of existing CC account(s) to the new CC. At the moment I have at least 5 active Chase CC accounts, maybe 6.

rated:
johnnybs said:   Does the 5/24 rule apply to their business card as well?
See the link posted here:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1570328?showmessage=19884415 

Then read through some of the search results.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
u2head8 said:   Hmmm, how many cards do you have from Chase before getting 2 more? I have 3 cards with Chase now and I'm not sure if they're going to give me 2 more even if I'm under 5/24.
I've never run into complaints from Chase for the number of cards they've issued me, just the combined CL across all cards. Several times, in order to get approved for new cards, I've had to call their reconsideration line (after receiving an application deferral message), where they approved me by manually reallocating credit from one (or more) of existing CC account(s) to the new CC. At the moment I have at least 5 active Chase CC accounts, maybe 6.

Thanks. I have about 40k line with the 3 cards.

rated:
LordKronos said:   
prozario said:   

If you just did this recently, send them a message online and they will likely honor the current 60k bonuses for each of your accounts. Or maybe the two more recent ones.

On another note, when did it become just 1 business card and not separate premier/plus business cards?

rated:
Watch them like a hawk. I was on a 50K deal once and they gave me only 25K. By the time I called them it was "too late to complain".  So I cancelled.  

rated:
is this 60k southwest points or 60k Chase points?

rated:
selluks said:   is this 60k southwest points or 60k Chase points?
  SWA (Rapid rewards)

rated:
griffeycom said:   
  SWA (Rapid rewards)

i think 60K RR points by itself its valuable ... not sure about exact $amount ... but even if you fail for some reason to get to 100K.  60K should get bunch of domestic flights.

rated:
prozario said:   
griffeycom said:   
  SWA (Rapid rewards)

i think 60K RR points by itself its valuable ... not sure about exact $amount ... but even if you fail for some reason to get to 100K.  60K should get bunch of domestic flights.

It's currently worth approximately $900.  The lowest fare bucket must be available within wanna-get-away fares to get that value.  Southwest terms allow them to increase redemption costs however they want, the last time they modified the terms it removed the 70:$1 (previously 60:$1) redemption rate and replaced with "we can set the rate based on demand bla bla blah particular flight" so they would not have to officially "devalue" ever again, they can just do it gradually in the shadows.
The best redemption value currently is around 1.7cents/pt when compared to full cash prices (it's 1.5 cents in the actual fare portion.  But, airport fees aren't charged when paying with points makes it greater than1.5cents, and consequently the cheaper and mutistop flights are slightly better ratios).  However, you don't earn points on flights paid with southwest points, and you normally earn at approx 1:10th value on the cheap fares..  This reduces the actual max value from 1.7 cents to around 1.53 cents/ point.

However, there are some other perks of paying with points in increased flexibility.  Points let you cancel and rebook wannagetaway fares with no restrictions - the points and TSA fee are directly refunded to your accounts when you cancel.  If, instead, you were booking with cash, the funds would be tied up in a travel fund expiring 1 year from the earliest related ticket purchased AND tied to the same specific traveler that the original ticket was purchased for.

rated:
DiMAn0684 said:   Great offer. Too bad I am way past 5/24.
  Yup Chase hates me even though I'm only 4/24. repeatedly denied. (In all honesty I've abused them for years). OTOH Chase loves my wife. Instant approval for the Plus yesterday and will go for Premier today to get easy CP.

rated:
Bend3r said:     If, instead, you were booking with cash, the funds would be tied up in a travel fund expiring 1 year from the earliest related ticket purchased AND tied to the same specific traveler that the original ticket was purchased for.

Also, the 1 year clock is from the "booking date" and not the "actual travel date".  Keep that in mind also.

rated:
jschuman said:   
Bend3r said:     If, instead, you were booking with cash, the funds would be tied up in a travel fund expiring 1 year from the earliest related ticket purchased AND tied to the same specific traveler that the original ticket was purchased for.
  Also, the 1 year clock is from the "booking date" and not the "actual travel date".  Keep that in mind also.

Yes it's also the "earliest" booking date.  Of you re-rated a cash flight that went down in cost $20, originally puchased on Jan 1, you get a $20 fund expiring Dec 31.  But, if you apply that $20 to a $200 ticket booked on November 1 and end up cancelling that ticket you now have one $200 fund expiring Dec 31.  And these funds can only be used for the same passenger.

rated:
Bend3r said:   Yes xnarg. And if this promo was running a little later.... You could instead get the 2 bonuses on Jan 1(ish) 2018 and it would run though dec 31 2019. There may not be 60k offer running then though.

Thanks.  I thought it was a companion pass for the rest of the current year, but looks like I am wrong, in a good way!

rated:
We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days.
which number should I call?

rated:
1-888-270-2127 called on this one.
5 mins later, approve.d

rated:
My wife and I each got that message on one of our applications. We didn't call and got the approval letter in the mail within a week.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   If you just did this recently, send them a message online and they will likely honor the current 60k bonuses for each of your accounts. Or maybe the two more recent ones.

Good call. Our first 2 cards were 4-5 months old, so I didn't even bother asking, but the later 2 cards were just under the 90 day mark, so I sent a secure message and we each got the additional 10k. The best part is, we didn't just signup those cards on the 50k program....we signed up with a 5k referral bonus too. I thought that might've been a problem for the match but it wasn't, so we effectively got 65k for each of these cards (assuming they don't claw back the 5k referral bonus, and I suspect they won't).

rated:
How do you actually do the referral to your spouse? Is it somewhere on through the Chase website? I just signed up for the plus card for myself. thanks everyone

rated:
Google for Chase refurral** link. You'll find a page where you input your info on which card you want to generate it for. Note that you can't do it for a card you don't already have.

**spelled incorrectly to avoid moderation

rated:
so do people apply for 2 cards in like within few days, or wait a month or two before applying for 2nd card? I'm wondering how Chase would feel if you apply for 2 Southwest card within a same week for example.

rated:
prozario said:   so do people apply for 2 cards in like within few days, or wait a month or two before applying for 2nd card? I'm wondering how Chase would feel if you apply for 2 Southwest card within a same week for example.
Not a good idea to apply so close together.
Give a gap of at least 1-2 months.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
prozario said:   so do people apply for 2 cards in like within few days, or wait a month or two before applying for 2nd card? I'm wondering how Chase would feel if you apply for 2 Southwest card within a same week for example.
Not a good idea to apply so close together.
Give a gap of at least 1-2 months.

what if there is no offering of 60K after 2 months?
i applied for 2, approved 1 , called for 2nd one and got approve.d 

Skipping 5 Messages...
rated:
mohan66 said:   Seems like Chase have withdrawn the Personal Premier Card offer/premier card? 
  yes

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017