• filter:

Walmart to ask employees to deliver packages on their way home from work

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Surprising on several different levels, e.g., labor/employment issues, cost/benefit, liability issues. But:

Walmart’s newest tactic in its fight against online giant Amazon : enlisting its employees to deliver online orders on their way home from work.

The idea, Walmart executives said Thursday, is to cut costs on the so-called last-mile of deliveries, when packages are driven to customers’ homes, often the most expensive part of the fulfillment process.

“It just makes sense: We already have trucks moving orders from fulfillment centers to stores for pickup,” Marc Lore, chief executive of Walmart’s e-commerce business and the founder of Jet.com, said in a blog post Thursday afternoon. “Those same trucks could be used to bring ship-to-home orders to a store close to their final destination, where a participating associate can sign up to deliver them to the customer’s house.”

The company began testing the package-delivery program a month ago in three stores — two in New Jersey, one in northwest Arkansas — but did not offer details on when, or where, it would expand across the United States.

Employees will be paid extra for the voluntary program, and offered overtime pay as necessary to make the deliveries, Walmart spokesman Ravi Jariwala said Thursday.

More: http://wapo.st/2qKzxb5?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.8d5bf3167746 

ETA: Although it appears that WM will treat participating worker as employee for both job functions -- regular position and package delivery -- it would be interesting to see if IRS would approve as "dual status" worker, i.e., employee for the day job and IC for the delivery. WM would probably need a private letter ruling to eliminate risk.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
But it limits the radius of how far you can commute. And thus your flexibility of where you can work and how much you ca... (more)

rufflesinc (Jun. 19, 2017 @ 11:36a) |

There are very few attractive job opportunities in my area which would be easier for me to reach by car than by public t... (more)

cestmoi123 (Jun. 19, 2017 @ 2:29p) |

thats because you're limiting "your area" to that reachable by public transport.

rufflesinc (Jun. 19, 2017 @ 2:36p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Walmart should be paying for the duration of the employee's ENTIRE commute home as the employee would be precluded from running errands, grabbing dinner etc.

But just like uber , this will only be a stopgap until automated delivery drones are fully up and running.

rated:
Seems like a smart idea.

I wish my employer would pay me to drop off a box on my neighbors porch.

rated:
Probably not a reliable way to guarantee customers on-time delivery as this is voluntary and a side job.

Still, it shouldn't be a problem as long as they pay the employees for the entire time involved, mileage reimbursement for the cost of gas and wear and tear on their cars, workers compensation protection and provide 100% auto and liability protection.

rated:
This is walmart we are talking about.
Probably paying $2 a package.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   This is walmart we are talking about.
Probably paying $2 a package.

I don't think $2 would be a bad deal for the effort involved if the deliveries are on your own block.    Especially if you're making typical Walmart wages.   

rated:
A similar situation happened with a shipment from Amazon to my home. They used USPS to deliver the package. Someone in a private vehicle (not the regular USPS mail truck) came to my house and dropped off the package at my front door. The package weighed just under 50 pounds so I don't think they were going to let the regular delivery carrier to bring it to the house. Probably got a USPS worker or a hired hand to deliver it.

rated:
fedguy said:   A similar situation happened with a shipment from Amazon to my home. They used USPS to deliver the package. Someone in a private vehicle (not the regular USPS mail truck) came to my house and dropped off the package at my front door. The package weighed just under 50 pounds so I don't think they were going to let the regular delivery carrier to bring it to the house. Probably got a USPS worker or a hired hand to deliver it.

Amazon hires out package delivery to individuals.   see flex.Amazon.com

ala uber or simiar independent driver deals.   Sure it wasn't that? 

rated:
It would be interesting to see their maps representing where their employees live vs their customers. walmart.com may have a very different customer base from Amazon, but there are significant areas around me where housing affordability issues preclude most walmart staff. It would be different if there were an even or even similar distribution, but I have my doubts.

Another concern is that customers may not want neighbors having that much interaction in their business. We used to have neighbors who were both pharmacists - great folks and one worked at what would have been a convenient store. But my wife said no to that option.

rated:
jerosen said:   
fedguy said:   A similar situation happened with a shipment from Amazon to my home. They used USPS to deliver the package. Someone in a private vehicle (not the regular USPS mail truck) came to my house and dropped off the package at my front door. The package weighed just under 50 pounds so I don't think they were going to let the regular delivery carrier to bring it to the house. Probably got a USPS worker or a hired hand to deliver it.

Amazon hires out package delivery to individuals.   see flex.Amazon. com

Could have been.  I did not talk to the guy to know which company he was from.  The tracking record showed that the package went to a post office that does not handle the mail to my home on Memorial Day.

rated:
I see no issue if it's entirely voluntary. Most WalMart workers could use the extra money. If you can circle your neighborhood and make $5 dropping a few things off in 10 minutes.... to a WalMart worker who normally makes $8 in 60 minutes, that is worth it. Again... VOLUNTARY.

As noted above... if you live in a population dense city, there are most likely Amazon warehouses right outside the city. Delivers may be from Amazon employees that drive packages around independent of Fedex, UPS, and USPS.

Perhaps walmart should just do that. Hire drivers to cruise around the city delivering items.

rated:
robstahl21 said:   I see no issue if it's entirely voluntary.

LOL, "voluntary". No such word in corporate America.

rated:
Why does this have to be the headline?  Why not simply "Walmart to offer extra hours to employees to deliver packages."? 

But by phrasing it this way instead, it's designed to make it sound like Walmart is expecting it's employees to drop off packages on their own time on their way home from work.  It's more like they're going to hire "last mile" delivery persons, with their existing staff getting first dibs at the extra work.

rated:
I can't think of a single Walmart employee that I want to know where I live!

rated:
I wonder how many full time Walmart employees, many who are paid so little they get handouts from us taxpayers, actually drive to work? Will we be seeing Walmart employees getting off the bus carrying 80lbs of cat litter to deliver?

rated:
ganda said:   I wonder how many full time Walmart employees, many who are paid so little they get handouts from us taxpayers, actually drive to work?
 Most of them? At least in general, I'm sure there are isolated areas where that isnt the case. 

rated:

rated:
george2001 said:   A few years ago my local paper started having reporters do the home delivery. 

I'm not sure if they're still doing that or not.

And the article about the OC Register doing this was published by the LA Times.

I am sure Amazon can use this to their advantage, although the loud music neon green Kia Soul same day delivery they sent to my house at 9 pm on a Sunday doesn't help Amazon differentiate themselves from Walmart personal deliveries, at the end of their shift.

rated:
Amazon here use all kind of people to deliver, college kid in beat up cars, soccer mom in theirs caravans... Amazon Fresh Trucks, crazy on bikes... This town is taken over by Amazon.

rated:
This whole idea sounds cheap and creepy.

rated:
kingdoodler88 said:   This whole idea sounds cheap and creepy.
Seems about par for the course when I go to Walmart... 

rated:
ganda said:   I wonder how many full time Walmart employees, many who are paid so little they get handouts from us taxpayers, actually drive to work? Will we be seeing Walmart employees getting off the bus carrying 80lbs of cat litter to deliver?
 How did everyone get so out of touch? There are 2 grocery stores in my town and WM is one of them. I know a dozen people who work there personally. They are average people without the luxury of a college degree trying to support their families. They are not walking around wearing signs saying "Give me welfare".

I've seen 1000x more people in corporate life that couldn't hold a candle to the quality of character that these WM workers have.

This "I am a better person because I wear khaki's to work" attitude is bullsh&t.  

rated:
Great idea. Think of this as it scales up. Visualize an apt complex - how many Amazon boxes do you see everyday? Paying the worker a couple bucks a pop doesn't sound like a lot - but what if he delivers 10 at once, driving to his own home? 20?

rated:
Lighten up Francis,,its not MANDATORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!let the people who work there decide,,its none of anyone's business...at least these people have a job ... i commend them !!
Employees will be paid extra for the voluntary program, and offered overtime pay as necessary to make the deliveries,

rated:
This past Sunday morning, a woman driving a regular USPS mail truck, dressed in street clothes - blue jeans and a t-shirt - delivered an Amazon package to my door.  And on Monday - Memorial Day - I saw a mail truck in my neighborhood delivering GROCERIES! 

rated:
saladdin said:   
ganda said:   I wonder how many full time Walmart employees, many who are paid so little they get handouts from us taxpayers, actually drive to work? Will we be seeing Walmart employees getting off the bus carrying 80lbs of cat litter to deliver?
 How did everyone get so out of touch? There are 2 grocery stores in my town and WM is one of them. I know a dozen people who work there personally. They are average people without the luxury of a college degree trying to support their families. They are not walking around wearing signs saying "Give me welfare".

I've seen 1000x more people in corporate life that couldn't hold a candle to the quality of character that these WM workers have.

This "I am a better person because I wear khaki's to work" attitude is bullsh&t.  

I was writing a reply to ganda similar to this. Then I saw your post and figured I couldn't have said it better myself. Great post.

rated:
  I'm not sure I understand the correlation.  I make over $100k a year and I bicycle to work.

Chris.

rated:
I think ganda was being critical of Walmart for paying low wages rather than attacking the employees.

Saying someone is on welfare isn't necessarily meant as an attack on their character.

rated:
The thing is, Wal-Mart may be the poster boy for bad worker relations, but little I've ever seen supports that generalization. As a maga retail corp, they seem to treat their employees pretty decent. Sure they aren't Netflix, but retail in general can be very hard on workers.

rated:
I have had three packages out of ten this year mis-delivered by USPS, UPS and FedEx...and those are professionals. I think I would just drive to Walmart if it was less than ten miles.

rated:
Seems like there would be a big liability issue for employees using their personal automobile for company business.
What if they stop for a beer(s) on the way home, then hit someone....its not going to be the Walmart"worker" with the deep pockets they are going after.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
  I'm not sure I understand the correlation.  I make over $100k a year and I bicycle to work.

Chris.

Cars are expensive to own. Walmart employees get paid very little. I'll wager most of the Walmart employees who bicycle to work (or take the bus) would rather drive an SUV there instead. You have the means to chose to bicycle to work (or not). 

rated:
  The WM employees I know all drive cars, most own houses, several with kids in college.

rated:
ganda said:   cpaynter said:   

Chris.

Cars are expensive to own. Walmart employees get paid very little. I'll wager most of the Walmart employees who bicycle to work (or take the bus) would rather drive an SUV there instead. You have the means to chose to bicycle to work (or not). 

Americans generally do not take the bus.

That includes the poor people and Walmart employees.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/07/who-relies-on-public-transit-in-the-u-s/

Only 15% of people making under 30k use mass transit routinely.

Walmart has historically been located in small towns and rural areas more where there are no transit options.

rated:
jerosen said:   
ganda said:   
cpaynter said:   

Chris.

Americans generally do not take the bus.

That includes the poor people and Walmart employees.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/07/who-relies-on-pu...

Only 15% of people making under 30k use mass transit routinely.

Walmart has historically been located in small towns and rural areas more where there are no transit options.

I have to go to the Hispanic side of town to go to Walmart, which I don't do very often*, but it is on the bus route, and the bus stop at Walmart gets used. When I was buying plants last month, and the temporary plant section had taken over the parking lot on one side of the building, I noticed lots of junky bicycles. I wonder who they belong to? These weren't "I make $100K and bicycle to work on my carbon fiber bicycle" bikes.

*mainly for the Tortillaland uncooked tortillas which are great

rated:
ganda said:   
I have to go to the Hispanic side of town to go to Walmart, which I don't do very often*, but it is on the bus route, and the bus stop at Walmart gets used. When I was buying plants last month, and the temporary plant section had taken over the parking lot on one side of the building, I noticed lots of junky bicycles. I wonder who they belong to? These weren't "I make $100K and bicycle to work on my carbon fiber bicycle" bikes.

*mainly for the Tortillaland uncooked tortillas which are great

Were there many cars in the parking lot?   I bet there are lots.

I would hazard a guess that most Walmarts don't have a bus stop nearby.
Look at the map of walmart locations in about any state and you'll see many rural locations.    Theres no bus system in those small towns generally.

Poor people do ride bikes.   They also drive cars.   

rated:
I think this is going to backfire. Misdeliveries, late deliveries, lost packages, upset buyers. The cost savings doesn't seem worth it to me, but then again, I don't know what the cost savings are.

Also, anyone who's ever delivered packages knows that it's a very difficult job. Dealing with unknown small streets, security gates, apartment deliveries, parking issues, etc. When I was in high school I delivered flowers on two holidays and it was the hardest job I've had.

rated:

UPS deliver to my house in a different truck.  Ask him what happen, he said his truck broke down so he have to rent a U-haul to make his delivery.

rated:
fedguy said:   
jerosen said:   

Amazon hires out package delivery to individuals.   see flex.Amazon. com

Could have been.  I did not talk to the guy to know which company he was from.  The tracking record showed that the package went to a post office that does not handle the mail to my home on Memorial Day.

Amazon has a contract with USPS to deliver on Sundays and holidays. The local post office may sub contract out to do these deliveries instead of paying overtime to their employees, or they were not able to get someone to work that weekend.

Skipping 16 Messages...
rated:
cestmoi123 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   
cpaynter said:   

Chris.

Same here. HHI over $300k and we both bike to work (live and work in the city), or take the bus/public transportation if there's inclement weather. Fastest way to get in, exercise, free/inexpensive, and green. Some things just make sense to do, regardless of income.

But it limits the radius of how far you can commute. And thus your flexibility of where you can work and how much you can make. I can average 50mph on my commute on my car. Maybe 10mph by bike or bus

Perhaps elon should work on a faster bicycle.

There are very few attractive job opportunities in my area which would be easier for me to reach by car than by public transport.  

thats because you're limiting "your area" to that reachable by public transport. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017