US Bank Credit Card booking a charge to bring account balance to 0

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So I remember seeing a thread a while back about banks that will decrease your balance to 0 if it's very small. US bank decided to switch it up. I had a credit balance of less than $1 and they just posted a "Small balance adjustment" charge of the same amount to my account to bring the balance up to 0. While perhaps understandable, this seems like a very questionable tactic. What's their definition of "small balance?" It would also seem to run afoul of many state's abandoned and unclaimed property laws if national banks are subject to those laws.

I don't really have that much of a problem with what they did, but my thing is, why not just leave a credit balance on the account until my next charge? It doesn't seem like much of a problem. The credit balance has only been on there for four months.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The cardmember agreement generally discloses their right to do this. If the balance had been over a threshold (which is generally $1,) they would have mailed you a check.

I wonder if they are required to send out monthly statements if there is a balance? Mailing out statements costs them at least 50 cents each.

We get .99 per month credit on one us bank card - another seemed to offer no small balance credit. It's kind of the same issue - is that amount worth any followup attention for you? Probably not.

Leave a small balance next month and see if they credit that. Then you're whole.

Citi does the same thing

OP if you noticed this very recently, on US Bank's online site, is it remotely possible that there's a tiny check on its way to you, and "Small balance adjustment" is their (rather poorly worded) line item message trying to say that?   In the past I've occasionally received some pretty small checks due to small balances on cards, and what they called this on their statements or websites wasn't always descriptive. 

fw9999 said:   OP if you noticed this very recently, on US Bank's online site, is it remotely possible that there's a tiny check on its way to you, and "Small balance adjustment" is their (rather poorly worded) line item message trying to say that?   In the past I've occasionally received some pretty small checks due to small balances on cards, and what they called this on their statements or websites wasn't always descriptive. 
  It's unlikely - the charge was from 4 weeks ago.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017