• filter:

CITI / AADVANTAGE WORLD ELITE MASTERCARD Earn 60,000 miles

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
CITI / AADVANTAGE  PLATINUM SELECT WORLD ELITE MASTERCARD

Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantageŽ bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
Annual Fee: $95, fee waived for the first 12 months.

http://www.citi.com/adventure6 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
from app date?

needhelpplease (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 12:58a) |

Wondering this, too. I have an open Platinum Select World Mastercard that I haven't used in quite a while.

BrianGa (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 11:26a) |

Citi AA bonuses are such that if you've opened OR closed ANY AAdvantage-earning Citi credit card in the past 24 months y... (more)

gergles (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 12:28p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.

rated:
churnable?

rated:
vickh said:   churnable?
  After 24 months

rated:
Good deal. This is usually 50K miles.

rated:
Can 60000 miles be turned into cash ?  $600?

Thanks!

rated:
Just be aware that in the last few months American has pretty much stopped releasing saver awards.  So, all of a sudden, AA miles arte worth waaay less.

Personally, after looking at the essentially zilcho availability for saver awards to Europe for months on end I would think long and hard about getting more AAdvantage miles.

There are better deals around.

rated:
MrKlick said:   Just be aware that in the last few months American has pretty much stopped releasing saver awards.  So, all of a sudden, AA miles arte worth waaay less.

Personally, after looking at the essentially zilcho availability for saver awards to Europe for months on end I would think long and hard about getting more AAdvantage miles.

There are better deals around.

I concur, AA miles suck now. It used to be 25k for a round trip domestic flight. I can never find anything less than 40k, 50k now unless you travel on a Tuesday maybe.

Plus, if you purchase a flight you only earn half the miles now. For example, we flew from BOS to PDX which was 2537 miles. We only earned 1260 miles from this flight. Wtf? We used to get a straight 2537 miles.

rated:
I think this is mainly a function of Summer but I am not sure.

rated:
matrix5k said:   

I concur, AA miles suck now. 

It depends. I just booked two award round trip tickets to Italy for 120K miles, all with CC signup bonuses. I couldn't get the exact dates I wanted, but this is quite generous.

rated:
It's not impossible to use AA but summer is tough. Don't plan on ever finding saver space on Friday/Sunday or any school holiday.

For domestic these days, I'm either booking AA awards last minute, maybe a day or two before departure, or booking in advance on revenue fares and paying with Amex points @ .02. 

For international, it's usually awards, unless there's a sub $2500 business class fare.

rated:
The Barclays version of this card is 50k miles now. Do both and you'll have almost enough for biz to Europe.

i agree AA sucks now, but IMO the only reasonable reason to pass on a deal is if you're saving yourself for Chase 5/24. Otherwise, pound away.

rated:
matrix5k said:   Plus, if you purchase a flight you only earn half the miles now. For example, we flew from BOS to PDX which was 2537 miles. We only earned 1260 miles from this flight. Wtf? We used to get a straight 2537 miles.

This is how every major US airline's loyalty program works now. (at least AA, United, Delta, Southwest & Jetblue. I've never flown Alaska, Virgin or the ULCC's)

It's all revenue based.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
  After 24 months

I had the exec+bronze product within that time frame. Maybe I'll apply for wife..

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   It's not impossible to use AA but summer is tough. Don't plan on ever finding saver space on Friday/Sunday or any school holiday.

For domestic these days, I'm either booking AA awards last minute, maybe a day or two before departure, or booking in advance on revenue fares and paying with Amex points @ .02. 

For international, it's usually awards, unless there's a sub $2500 business class fare.

How about as you get closer like 3 weeks (don't want fares to be high just in case). 3 tix PHX-DCA

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   It's not impossible to use AA but summer is tough. Don't plan on ever finding saver space on Friday/Sunday or any school holiday.

When you book domestic last minute you do pay $150 fee, right?

rated:
andrey2506 said:   

Right, unless you are EXP (executive platinum)

rated:
andrey2506 said:   

The close-in fee for less than 21 days? It's $75. Waived for Gold or higher.

The $150 is a charge to cancel and redeposit, which is only waived for EXP.

rated:
Outside of summer, thanksgiving, and Christmas-time, I have found pretty good availability for their awards.

rated:
when do typically upload inventory. Been checking for a while

rated:
They don't release award seats reliably enough for there to be a rule. But generally, look for hard to get inventory at 330 days or less than 7 days before departure.

If loads are high, it could also be never.

I should also mention that it's very useful to have miles in multiple alliances, and points in multiple bank currencies. It greatly expands your options when you're not just locked into AA.

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   Outside of summer, thanksgiving, and Christmas-time, I have found pretty good availability for their awards.
  Yep, so did I until this year when American apparently changed policy to effectively not release saver level awards in business or first to Europe.

I have always had good luck with using AA miles to get to Europe in business/First until this year and I like to think I know how to get these flights--but in 2017, nothing available no matter what.  There is a long thread on FlyerTalk about this.

I am probably not going to do much to get more AAdvantage miles.   Alaska is looking better and better.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
  After 24 months

from app date?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
  After 24 months

from app date?

Wondering this, too. I have an open Platinum Select World Mastercard that I haven't used in quite a while.

rated:
Citi AA bonuses are such that if you've opened OR closed ANY AAdvantage-earning Citi credit card in the past 24 months you are not eligible, unless you find a link that doesn't include that restriction.

This link includes such a restriction.

Also, the discussions of Saver availability being basically nonexistent are not something to be overlooked. The only good use for AAdvantage now is Asia on partners. Domestic or TATL it costs so many miles it isn't even worth churning the credit cards, in my book.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017