• filter:

Am I about to fall for a PayPal scam?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Looking to sell a phone on Swappa, and have someone interested. The problem is that he's outside the US and wants me to send it somewhere in Florida where he can pick it up. 
Logic tells me that I need to send it to his registered PayPal address. What's the potential scam here? Is it that he claims I didn't send it to him and makes a claim with PayPal? I'm assuming PayPal takes his side since I didn't send it to an address registered with his PayPal account. 
Or am I just being paranoid? 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I buy on swappa if the total price is less than eBay. I sell on swappa if I can get more (after fees) than eBay. Most ... (more)

cherry3m (Jun. 05, 2017 @ 3:55p) |

get the money, tell him paypal put the transaction on hold. See what happens next, contact paypal and say look this is ... (more)

Luniz97 (Jun. 06, 2017 @ 10:49a) |

Just sell it to someone else. If your phone is priced right, it'll move with hopefully a more regular buyer.

I much prefe... (more)

Shandril (Jun. 07, 2017 @ 12:47p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Ship only to a paypal confirmed address. Otherwise, they can file an "item not received" and are likely to win.

https://swappa.com/faq/sell/safe_standard_shipping_policies
https://swappa.com/faq/sell/paypal_confirmed_address

rated:
fungo45 said:   Looking to sell a phone on Swappa, and have someone interested. The problem is that he's outside the US and wants me to send it somewhere in Florida where he can pick it up. 
Logic tells me that I need to send it to his registered PayPal address. What's the potential scam here? Is it that he claims I didn't send it to him and makes a claim with PayPal? I'm assuming PayPal takes his side since I didn't send it to an address registered with his PayPal account. 
Or am I just being paranoid? 

Ask if he is willing to pay extra for the "trouble." If he agrees it is a scam.
(If he does not agree, it is a scam as well).

rated:
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

rated:
Tell him you'll send the phone to an address other than his registered PayPal address, if he will send the money to an account other than your registered PayPal account.  Scam the scammer, then sell the phone to someone else.

rated:
We received an unexpected package a while back. Inside, an iPhone and eBay receipt. I was about to contact the seller when we realized it was for a friend from out of the country who was coming to visit in a few weeks. I'm not sure if she had to do any convincing, but I take it the US is a great place to buy small high tech stuff due to price competition and sales taxes. This was addressed to my wife, maybe to make sure the mail carrier didn't think it was a mistake.

I'm not sure how you might confirm a scenario like this one (or if I'd go to the effort/risk), but it did work out fine for that seller.

rated:
fwuser12 said:     Ask if he is willing to pay extra for the "trouble." If he agrees it is a scam.
(If he does not agree, it is a scam as well).

That made me belly laugh. Thank you.

rated:
Lots of times the potential buyer is using a scammy credit card to pay you, and receives legit funds from an actual buyer. You send the product to the legit buyer, you lose the product and the money (chargeback), but the scammer keeps the money since he/she "sent" the product to the legit buyer.

It could possibly be legit as SlimTim mentioned, but it's not worth the risk IMO.

rated:
MrSamsung said:   Lots of times the potential buyer is using a scammy credit card to pay you, and receives legit funds from an actual buyer. You send the product to the legit buyer, you lose the product and the money (chargeback), but the scammer keeps the money since he/she "sent" the product to the legit buyer.

It could possibly be legit as SlimTim mentioned, but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. I had not thought of that one. 
For sure I am not taking him up on the deal. 

rated:
I have seen this happen a lot on Swappa. There are plenty of out of country buyers that make you ship to forwarding locations that forward the item to the buyer in a different country. Key is Paypal verified address and eligible for seller protection. If it is not I would not ship!

rated:
There are a lot of forwarding companies in Miami that accept packages for people in central/S. America and then bundle them and deal with the import,etc.

I've shipped hundreds of phones to these types addresses--All paypal verified. They will look something like this:

NAME
6703 NW 7th St
# SAL-35w07
Miami, FL

The #SAL-35w07 is a unique ID for the person. The address is often times a warehouse, or a generic looking building when you street view it. 

Similar services exist in TX for Mexico, and I've also shipped to NJ addresses which I assume forward to the middle east/russia (Based on names of recipients).

Anyway--I can't answer if you're being scammed, but I can give you insight into how the system works.

ETA: in all cases these have been the buyer's confirmed paypal address. If you're shipping to a non-paypal confirmed address you're really risking it. 

rated:
I ship quite a few items, international buyers often use postal boxes on coastal cities as collection points to avoid tariff and other "unreasonable" fees.
IE - it's not necessarily a scam.

You do want the paypal address to match though.  If they do that, it's a deal.  If not, it's no deal.

rated:
If you ship to a known mail forwarding service or freight consolidator (and PayPal seem to know them all), and that is the PayPal verified address you are good to go. If the item gets lost/damaged between the mail forwarding company in Miami (or wherever) and the recipient in Timbuktu, that is not your problem and PayPal will side with you. This is from personal experience. I would use Signature Confirmation just so you can say "Bob signed for it" if there is an issue.

rated:
Thanks. I guess the key here is that the shipping address in Florida is just a random address and not verified by his PayPal account. I already told him to take a hike.

rated:
fungo45 said:   Thanks. I guess the key here is that the shipping address in Florida is just a random address and not verified by his PayPal account. I already told him to take a hike.
  Could have been a relative newbie not aware of the ship to address requirement. You should have had him get the freight forwarders address verified with Paypal instead of jumping the gun and losing a sale.

rated:
The other one is sometimes they say "okay we've sent the money paypal. Paypal will send you an email, and money will be in your account once the item is shipped. Until then it is in Paypal escrow".

It's a half decent done but full of spelling and grammar errors "paypal confirmation email" that you get which tries convincing you to send the item and the "extra money".

rated:
It's off topic but closely related. I was going to sell on Swappa but I found out I was able to sell my phone for alot higher price on eBay. I wouldn't seel on swappa. I would sell on eBay instead. 

rated:
First time I heard of Swappa. Checked it out and see buyers pay a fee to buy. Why would most people buy from a site like that if they even can find it, when eBay has a greater selection to begin with?

rated:
SCAM in big big capital letters. do not do it.

rated:
atikovi said:   First time I heard of Swappa. Checked it out and see buyers pay a fee to buy. Why would most people buy from a site like that if they even can find it, when eBay has a greater selection to begin with?
  Bought 3 phones so far (worth $350-375 each). No issues 
Very happy with Swappa

rated:
HAHA one person says it's a SCAM, other person is very happy with it. Gotta love the internet.

rated:
If you have to ask strangers on internet message board whether you should go with the transaction or not, it's already a flag!

rated:
atikovi said:   HAHA one person says it's a SCAM, other person is very happy with it. Gotta love the internet.
  What's the issue?
Swappa is a valid website for buying and selling.

But the buyer wants to use a paypal account to an unverified address.  That's what's wrong.
Read the thread

rated:
I never said there was an issue, just comparing two completely opposite replies.
Read my post.

rated:
The person who is happy with it is happy with Swappa.
the person who says SCAM is saying that shipping to a bad Paypal address is a scam. That's all
Both are valid

rated:
diamente said:   It's off topic but closely related. I was going to sell on Swappa but I found out I was able to sell my phone for alot higher price on eBay. I wouldn't seel on swappa. I would sell on eBay instead. 

One key difference: Fees. Sell a $600 phone on eBay..eBay fees = $60. Same phone on Swappa = $20 in fees. So if you can sell a phone on eBay for 600, it will net you the same if you sell at Swappa for $560. I put my phones on both sites buy it now factoring the fees and sell wherever I get a buyer.

rated:
I buy on swappa if the total price is less than eBay. I sell on swappa if I can get more (after fees) than eBay. Most of the time, swappa is the better deal.

I like swappa because the esn has to be verified, and the pictures are of the actual item, not stock pictures.

As others have said, never send to an unverified address.

rated:
get the money, tell him paypal put the transaction on hold. See what happens next, contact paypal and say look this is what is going on and are you covered.

rated:
Just sell it to someone else. If your phone is priced right, it'll move with hopefully a more regular buyer.

I much prefer swappa because of clean ESN checks and actual pictures. Since fees are lower than eBay - and those are passed to the buyer - usually the deal ends up better for both buyer and seller there. Besides eBay sides with buyers no matter what so I'd buy there if price was better but I'd sell on swappa to avoid getting screwed like on eBay by dishonest buyers.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017