Capital one dispute on favor of merchant

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hello I had an issue with a merchant over a huge transaction. 10k+
I paid using my credit card.
I did not receive what I ordered I try working things out with merchant and they said they couldn't do anything that they aren't responsible for lost or stolen packages or if the wrong item is sent. I opened a dispute with capitalcone and they gave me the credit back then asked for documents which I uploaded later on they returned the money back to the merchant I uploaded more documents they needed and gave me the credit explaining is was a permanent decision... then 93 days later after the dispute I log in to my account and there is a re-bill about the same case!!! I call and they give me all this bs reasons and we go back and forth arguing how this is wrong and at this point they don't give a crp. They tell me they can't do anything because the time has passed and "visa already decided on the merchant favor" wtf. Basically the seller even tried changing the story around saying that what I received is what I ordered and that's how they got their money back. So I fought with them and told them to look over the first invoice the seller sent that it should match mine and after hours on the phone they agreed BUT "it's too late" and that the seller policies says they allow no cancelations, returns, not responsible for lost or damage packages or wrong items received / shipped. It's a Japanese web site so I wasn't even aware of all this until now and I even shipped the item back to them and capital one still didn't care they just kept saying the same bs. I asked if there was anything else I could do and the manager said I could seek legal help but capital one can no longer help me as they have exhausted everhthing they could possibly do. Yeah okay.

Is this right? Help what can I do?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I never understood how people have issues like this, and are able to: 1) Find FWF, 2) Create an account, 3) Never come b... (more)

MrSamsung (Jun. 05, 2017 @ 1:45p) |

"Collectible trading card" is code for "life-like companion pillow"

Beanholio (Jun. 06, 2017 @ 10:44a) |

LOL. That's a lot to spend sight unseen!!!

raceman73 (Jun. 13, 2017 @ 11:20a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What did you buy with a credit card that cost 10K and didn't inspect first? If I was spending that much, I'd spend another couple hundred on a plane ticket and look at it in person.

rated:
It was on a Japanese web site they don't sell in person. I thought I was safe using a credit card and I have been buying from that site for over a few months and didn't had an issue before. It was a very rare 1998 collectible trading card.

rated:
10K for a baseball card without inspecting or seeing it first??? I think you need a new cheaper hobby

rated:
Probably Pokemon.

rated:
Why do people pay thousands for a piece of paper that will probably turn to dust in 50 or 100 years?

rated:
The last Consumer Reports poll about credit cards rated Capital One among the worst for handling disputes.  I believe USAA was best, Discover and American Express above average.  

Visa has its own rules that are often better than the federal government's Fair Credit Billing Act.  For one, they don't impose a 60-day time limit for filing complaints but extend it to at least a year, although if you complained to either the credit card issuer or the merchant before you paid the card, there's no time limit even under federal law.  You may be able to get Visa International to do something about your problem by phoning 1-800-VISA-911 because they helped me when FIrst USA failed to handle a dispute properly.   

And actually merchants are responsible for shipping damage or loss, unless maybe they explicitly warn you otherwise before the sale.  

US federal credit card applies even for international orders, provided the billing address of the credit card is in the US.  It's possible the foreign merchant isn't aware of this.  The law also makes the card issuer responsible for correcting the bill, whether or not it can get its money back.  

Federal Trade Commission for the fraud?  For credit card regulations, the Federal Reserve is one of the government agencies with responsibility.  

rated:
Based on the OP, I can see why they ruled in merchant's favor. CC disputes need to be concise and precise. Aka, not like the OP.

rated:
xxstephyexx said:   It was on a Japanese web site they don't sell in person. I thought I was safe using a credit card and I have been buying from that site for over a few months and didn't had an issue before. It was a very rare 1998 collectible trading card.You know what they say about a fool and his money?
I'm guessing this will be a time consuming and probably very expensive life lesson.

rated:
Does anyone know how JP Morgan premium cards (ex: said: Ritz) are ranked for disputes?]Does anyone know how JP Morgan premium cards (ex: Ritz) are ranked for disputes?

rated:
I have a 1st edition Charizard for sale, in great condition. PM me.

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   I have a 1st edition Charizard for sale, in great condition. PM me.
I know a Nigerian Prince who will pay you no less than $10K for it, sight-unseen. Agreed?

rated:
qcumber98 said:   
RussellJohnson said:   I have a 1st edition Charizard for sale, in great condition. PM me.
I know a Nigerian Prince who will pay you no less than $10K for it, sight-unseen. Agreed?

I know a FW member who will pay you no less than $10K for it, PM for info.

rated:
That showed him! He'll never post on FWF ever again.

(Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks we should take it a bit easier on new members...)

rated:
atikovi said:   Why do people pay thousands for a piece of paper that will probably turn to dust in 50 or 100 years?
  Why do people pay thousands for a shiny rock? Or bottles of aged grapes? Or rusty old cars?

To each their own. 

rated:
S197 said:   
atikovi said:   Why do people pay thousands for a piece of paper that will probably turn to dust in 50 or 100 years?
  Why do people pay thousands for a shiny rock? Or bottles of aged grapes? Or rusty old cars?

To each their own. 

A rock will last for ever. Wine is meant to be consumed. Cars are steel and glass that if cared for and stored properly could last hundreds of years if not much more. Paper collectables are fragile by nature and absent a controlled environment like the Declaration of Independence, will probably deteriorate significantly over time and drop in value.

rated:
atikovi said:   
S197 said:   

To each their own. 

A rock will last for ever. Wine is meant to be consumed. Cars are steel and glass that if cared for and stored properly could last hundreds of years if not much more. Paper collectables are fragile by nature and absent a controlled environment like the Declaration of Independence, will probably deteriorate significantly over time and drop in value.

So what? The point is you can make spending money on anything collectible look silly. You simply can't see past your own bias. I personally wouldn't spend 10 grand on a card but it's his money. The point of the thread is whether or not he received what he purchased, regardless of what it is, and potential remedies. 

rated:
open a Chase card. buy the card again and then file a chargeback saying the item was not as described.

rated:
slappycakes said:   That showed him! He'll never post on FWF ever again.

(Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks we should take it a bit easier on new members...)

Eh, it depends. Is this the type of first post by a new member that is going to contribute to the FWF community? I don't have any data to back up my assumption, so it's worth about as much as the paper it's written on, but I assume not.

rated:
tante said:   open a Chase card. buy the card again and then file a chargeback saying the item was not as described.

With his luck Chase will only give him a credit limit of 9500!!  

rated:
I never understood how people have issues like this, and are able to: 1) Find FWF, 2) Create an account, 3) Never come back

I always just assume these are troll accounts.

rated:
"Collectible trading card" is code for "life-like companion pillow"

rated:
LOL. That's a lot to spend sight unseen!!!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017