• filter:

Investing & Trading (Individual Stock Discussions part 2)

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Holdings (94.39kB)
Disclaimer
Nearly 8 years ago and 80,000+ posts ago, I started the Individual Stock Investing thread.  I did so to establish a place where we could discuss our individual investments, our triumphs and our failures, promising to generally post my trades as I make them and occasionally give a snapshot of my main portfolio's performance.  Today, due to the size of the original thread, it is time to archive the old and bring in the new.

In that spirit, I am attaching a representative list of my individual holdings.  I have additional investments, but they consist mostly of ETFs similar to the attached, in addition to two municipal bonds.  

My investment philosophy had always been to buy stocks when the market was in a panic.It served me very well.  These days, while I have not accumulated what I would like to have in order to retire, I have accumulated enough so that I am investing 30% of my overall portfolio in bonds in the hope of dampening volatility.  If there is a 20% bear market I will "reallocate" by swapping fixed income for equity, and hopefully generate some strong returns during the recovery.  

For those who are just starting out, I cannot recommend the bogleheads.org wiki enough. It provides an excellent education in why a simple three or four fund portfolio is the most efficient way to accumulate wealth.  I do not know if I would have done better following such an approach, but I am perfectly comfortable migrating to it as I become older, wiser, and am substantially richer than I was.  

Do what you are always reading about in the trashy financial magazines and websites.  Max out on those 401(k) contributions if at all possible.  Max out on your Roth IRA whether through "back door conversions" or direct contributions.  And, if possible, take a portion of your take-home pay and invest it in a broad index such as SCHB or VTI, every paycheck.  If you must buy individual stocks, I recommend checking out a good newsletter (I have always liked the Fool Advisor) so you at least have the benefit of someone's deep thinking.  If it meshes with your own, make the investment with a bit more confidence than you might otherwise have done.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Cheers. Enjoyed the fun ride and I'll see you all on the other side.

DC, we'll always have ALTR.

https://www.fatwallet.c... (more)

Satriani (Sep. 23, 2017 @ 9:24p) |

Ha, I always enjoyed how DelCheapo said don't follow this, and then a little later, half the stock discussions thread re... (more)

ctujackbauer (Sep. 23, 2017 @ 9:42p) |

Ahhhh good memories indeed.  ALTR tale is one I'll be sharing with my grandkids someday.

DelCheapo (Sep. 24, 2017 @ 3:48a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thank you for starting a new thread. Very much appreciated.

rated:
TripleB shall now be remembered in the archives.

rated:
Great David... I thought we will have epic run on that thread for some more years however its good to see a new one.

rated:
Loaded the DPZ today.Placed an Limit order on Ulta for 306 but not filled.. it went down till 306.02
Hope tomorrow will be Green !!!!!!

rated:
Any opinions on VMW? 5% correction since the earnings.  PE slightly on the higher side but seems like the kind of product they sell would be somewhat "sticky" - i.e. once somebody buys their software and is using it, seems like they will keep renewing the licenses. They were at the same level 5 years ago but after that we have had all the Dell/EMC merger etc. 

rated:
Anyone invested in $SQ?  Huge blocks of JAN 2018 $30 Calls being bought

rated:
NukeMedDude said:   Anyone invested in $SQ?  Huge blocks of JAN 2018 $30 Calls being bought
  Did these execute on the bid or the ask?

EDIT:  Sure why not I haven't gambled in a while.  Did a buy/write for the 30 strike Jan18.  Net outlay about $22.70/sh.  Rooting for $30/sh buyout annoucement lol

rated:
jd2010 said:   
NukeMedDude said:   Anyone invested in $SQ?  Huge blocks of JAN 2018 $30 Calls being bought
  Did these execute on the bid or the ask?

EDIT:  Sure why not I haven't gambled in a while.  Did a buy/write for the 30 strike Jan18.  Net outlay about $22.70/sh.  Rooting for $30/sh buyout annoucement lol

Someone also bought late today before the close 3000 JAN 2019 $35 calls to open for $2.50/each.  Crazy action all year in this name.

rated:
What the heck happened with WINS? This was a little extreme for a P&D. Opinions?

rated:
Anyone interested in having links to current portfolios in the summary section for active members of the thread? Is that to .. personal?

rated:
Ma171aC said:   Anyone interested in having links to current portfolios in the summary section for active members of the thread? Is that to .. personal?
  I don't think it is particularly personal if you aren't including personally identifiable information with the link.  There used to be a great website that tracked your performance so you could share it anonymously.  What site do you recommend that would allow the use of such a link?  I'm a little too lazy myself to manually update my holdings, but I am sure others would be interested in doing so!

rated:
Today was the day you were supposed to tell people you bought YHOO/BABA calls yesterday right?  

WINS - hard to tell what's going on with that one, although that's been true for the past 6 months or so.  Nasdaq didn't know what was going on either, and they halted it until they get a good explanation.  It may stay halted for a while, and, if Nasdaq isn't happy with their answers, they may eventually be delisted.

rated:
I don't mess with options anymore. Even with hindsight.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   
Ma171aC said:   Anyone interested in having links to current portfolios in the summary section for active members of the thread? Is that to .. personal?
  I don't think it is particularly personal if you aren't including personally identifiable information with the link.  There used to be a great website that tracked your performance so you could share it anonymously.  What site do you recommend that would allow the use of such a link?  I'm a little too lazy myself to manually update my holdings, but I am sure others would be interested in doing so!

I saw morningstar have that ability to track portfolio and share anonymously. I have seen that in bogleheads people doing that

rated:
Tech is getting crushed right now... whats the deal?

rated:
jd2010 said:   Tech is getting crushed right now... whats the deal?
  It has run up so high that people do not see it as the best place for their money. We are hitting the great rotation into smaller stocks. 

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   
jd2010 said:   Tech is getting crushed right now... whats the deal?
  It has run up so high that people do not see it as the best place for their money. We are hitting the great rotation into smaller stocks. 

"people"?  Its been a trillion dollar exodus in the past hour... big $ and algos played hot potato with us and we lost, like usual haha

rated:
This has been predicted for a long time coming. The only people who lost are those who bought recently...and even those losses are likely temporary.

rated:
Not buying it. Anything actually predicted would get exploited by frontrunners and it would have already happened. This is runaway algo trading.

rated:
It was a headline yesterday. Just because it is predicted does not mean people will "front run" anything. The world sees greater opportunity in the smaller stocks and the financials now. Comey's testimony was not so explosive that impeachment seems a possibility and the market figures lots of good things will be happening on the trump trade.

rated:
By the way, it is just another example of why owning individual stocks or narrow sectors can bite you in the ass when the market moves up (or doesn't move at all.)\
The Converse of course is true. Sometimes the market tanks and individual stocks save one's portfolio.

rated:
Oops epic crash

rated:
Tis naught a crash, much less an epic one. When there is an epic crash for no reason, there will be plenty of money to be made on the rebound, hopefully.

rated:
The ONLY thing that kept me from selling Apple yesterday, or the day before that was the over 70% gain I have on the stock and the desire not to pay taxes. Had it been in my IRA, I'd be smug as heck today.

rated:
What shares do you buy today ? I thought of buying but havent pulled the trigger

rated:
Today I bought 100 VTV @$96.70 (Vanguard Value ETF) and sold -106 MASI @$91.79

rated:
Apologies in advance for asking a non-stock question, but I'm positive this group will have an answer for me and I didn't find it elsewhere on the interwebs. Why do I see different muni-bond prices at one broker vs another? For example, CUSIP 118565WN6 has a price of 103.925 at Fidelity and a price of 104.444 at TD Ameritrade. I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious, but I can't figure out what it is.

rated:
ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   Oops epic crash
  I don't think you know what half the terms you use mean.  Was hoping you got lost when we switched threads tbh.

rated:
Crash? I'd say sale prices on some stocks.

rated:
Buying opportunity or wait?

rated:
DoonGuy said:   Buying opportunity or wait?
  It depends on how much you are already invested in tech.  Could be a good opportunity to jump in but if you already have a significant amount of take I would wait.

rated:
Any insights on VSTM? I am planning to load 1000 shares as high risk high reward.

rated:

I would wait - personal opinion is that valuations are stretched but they were driven by momentum. But momentum can go either way. Also remember that we should be heading into sep/oct - months that have historically produced bad moves. I think Trump will survive Comey, but if he doesnt, watch out on the downside. Enough other good values in the market - my portfolio was actually up in two of my major accounts on Fri.

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   

I would wait - personal opinion is that valuations are stretched but they were driven by momentum. But momentum can go either way. Also remember that we should be heading into sep/oct - months that have historically produced bad moves. I think Trump will survive Comey, but if he doesnt, watch out on the downside. Enough other good values in the market - my portfolio was actually up in two of my major accounts on Fri.

Thanks, not much invested at this point ... will start entering slowly.

rated:
It's going to be interesting seeing cryptocurrency ETFs start popping up (i.e. GBTC).

rated:
Market is showing red but not something epic happened yet. Just few percentage off from this years gains.
Good time to do swap.

rated:
Crash crash burn go futures

rated:
Apple down from $155 to 143 not a crash? You didn't want to pay taxes oops

Skipping 356 Messages...
rated:
Ahhhh good memories indeed.  ALTR tale is one I'll be sharing with my grandkids someday.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017