• filter:

CAUTION: AMEX Cash Back Gas Category Issues - American Express Cash Rewards Card - 6% grocery, 3% gas -

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Beware of AMEX Cash Back Cards - Categories are Not Well Defined... even "pay at the pump" gas.

This card has a $95 annual fee.
I just got the Blue Cash Preferred Card (6% Groceries, 3% Gas, 1% Else) and sadly I noted gas stations are not always correctly labeled as gas even if you use "pay at the pump".

  1. My local Quik Stop gas station - there are 80 in CA and NV -  (also the one offering the generally cheapest gas in reasonable distance) does not count towards 3% cash back.
  2. Amex claims its how the merchant registered its not a "gas station", visa never had an issue with this, and I always pay at the pump at this location.
  3. Rewards wont show up until your 2nd statement... so Buyer beware! 

Who knows where the grocery stores are at on this.

I'm going to move back to Visa, last chance for the AMEX with me looking at BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card that offers 3% cash back on gas with no annual fee.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else having issues with their amex cash back card?

Ref: Quik Stop https://www.quikstop.com/topic/the-company/#/gasoline-2 (80 locations in CA and Nevada) 
 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This sounds like a lot of bellyaching.

So, your gas station of choice doesn't code as "gas."  What does it code as?  Does... (more)

sechs (Jun. 11, 2017 @ 8:31a) |

In my experience, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets do count as grocery. Maybe your local one is mis-coded?

doveroftke (Jun. 11, 2017 @ 11:12a) |

I went with the USAA Rewards Plus AMEX after Sallie Mae went poof. 5% on gas up to $3k/year and 2% on groceries up to $3... (more)

plastrd (Jun. 12, 2017 @ 8:28a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
If you think 3% on gas is the best that's out there, then you're doing it wrong.

rated:
Not to mention, this has long been known, across all cards.

rated:
jaytrader said:   Not to mention, this has long been known, across all cards.
  I think some issuers (Chase ) include improperly coded places, maybe by keyword.  Citi Visa had my lunch place not coded as food for restaurant category.  Chase counts it for dining.  Both are Visa.  "Dining" is in the title for the place that shows up on the bill.  So, isnot necessarily the same across all issuers.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   If you think 3% on gas is the best that's out there, then you're doing it wrong.
OK, granted.... But... You might also want to tell them what's better?   

rated:
PenFed and not the one with the points. And it's also a Visa.

rated:
Yeah, 5%.  I've got that one  - grandfathered,  But available to newbies?

rated:
I posted something similar when there was a Discovercard 5% cashback on groceries several months ago. Regional chain Hy-Vee is a legitimate grocery chain. In the same parking lot, they have convenience stores with automated pumps. I was unhappy when the automated gas pumps were not coded grocery. Turns out they are coded gas on Freedom Visa and Discover.

rated:
JW10 said:   I posted something similar when there was a Discovercard 5% cashback on groceries several months ago. Regional chain Hy-Vee is a legitimate grocery chain. In the same parking lot, they have convenience stores with automated pumps. I was unhappy when the automated gas pumps were not coded grocery. Turns out they are coded gas on Freedom Visa and Discover.
  
That's the proper coding. Even if it's co-located with the store, it's a gas pump.

rated:
I've been using the Amex Preferred Card almost four years with no problems.
 

rated:
Chase AARP Visa - 3% gas and 3% restaurants

rated:
Costco Visa card by Citibank
no annual fee
4% cashback on gas everywhere
3% restaurants

rated:
BankAmericard Cash Rewards gets you 5.25% on gas if you qualify for Platinum Honors. Also a $150 bonus with $500 spend in 3 months.
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/cash-back-credit-card/

--edit---
My mistake, only 3.5% on groceries and warehouse clubs. Thanks Roy.

rated:
It drives me insane that they don't count Walmart Neighborhood Market as a grocery when everybody else does. I get that the regular Walmarts and even supercenters wouldn't count as grocery stores, but the fact that neighborhood Market wouldn't count as one when that is literally all they sell makes no sense.

rated:
When it comes to rewards I go with "when in doubt, test first".  However:

It would probably not even occur to me to test a self-serve gas pump for proper coding.  An entity capable only of dispensing gasoline should obviously be coded for gasoline.  Duhhhhh

And then there is AmEx with their annoying and retrograde delayed rewards.  What is this . . . the twentieth century?  Barclays' rewards happen the moment charges hit my card.  AmEx clearly prefers as opaque a rewards process as possible.  Maybe problem is something in the Phoenix air.

One good thing about AmEx, though:  I luv luv luv their sweet, free FICO scores.

rated:
Post Sallie Mae, I got the Fort Knox 5% card for gas and haven't looked back. Immediate rebate on every statement. http://www.fortknoxfcu.org/visa.html

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   BankAmericard Cash Rewards gets you 5.25% on gas, groceries, and warehouse clubs if you qualify for Platinum Honors. Also a $150 bonus with $500 spend in 3 months.
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/cash-back-credit-card/

  
It's 3.5% for groceries & warehouse clubs.

The 5.25% is only for gas, although I have confirmed that in-store purchases at Sheetz convenience stores (including purchasing gift cards, newspapers, etc.) are coded as gas purchases and earn 5.25%.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   If you think 3% on gas is the best that's out there, then you're doing it wrong.
  Especially since its not even the best available with that card.

rated:
gt2982a said:   Post Sallie Mae, I got the Fort Knox 5% card for gas and haven't looked back. Immediate rebate on every statement. http://www.fortknoxfcu.org/visa.html
  Eligibility requirements for joining the CU or do they allow you to apply for a CC without becoming a member?

rated:
cagedancingchemist said:   Beware of AMEX Cash Back Cards - Categories are Not Well Defined... even "pay at the pump" gas.

This card has a $95 annual fee.
I just got the Blue Cash Preferred Card (6% Groceries, 3% Gas, 1% Else) and sadly I noted gas stations are not always correctly labeled as gas even if you use "pay at the pump".

  1. My local Quik Stop gas station - there are 80 in CA and NV -  (also the one offering the generally cheapest gas in reasonable distance) does not count towards 3% cash back.
  2. Amex claims its how the merchant registered its not a "gas station", visa never had an issue with this, and I always pay at the pump at this location.
  3. Rewards wont show up until your 2nd statement... so Buyer beware! 

Who knows where the grocery stores are at on this.

I'm going to move back to Visa, last chance for the AMEX with me looking at BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card that offers 3% cash back on gas with no annual fee.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else having issues with their amex cash back card?

Ref: Quik Stop https://www.quikstop.com/topic/the-company/#/gasoline-2 (80 locations in CA and Nevada) 

  I don't have this Amex Card.  I have used my Capital One premier dining rewards which has correctly credited me 3% on fast food and dining purchases as soon as charges post on my new World Elite MasterCard.  Plus I have it linked to Hilton Dining rewards in addition to my Hilton Amex.  Never had issues with merchant coding before.  

This is obviously an Amex issue with Quik Stop.  Merchants code with different categories to reduce their merchant fees perhaps. Amex is charged as a higher rate than Visa.  I would guess big firms like BP, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Shell and others likely code correctly as Gas while Quik Stop likely codes as a convenience store.  Kroger owns Quik Stop which is a convenience store chain.  Gas is a secondary product for them.

7-11 also sells gas in Florida for instance.  This gas would also likely be coded as convenience store.  Amex may be more picky on coding but it costs more for merchant fees on Amex.  Bigger firms are able to absorb the Amex costs.  

It isn't misleading because they specifically say its up to coding of merchant in the rewards programs.  If you want lower costs and higher rewards then use MasterCard or Visa.  I can fully understand Amex policies.    

rated:
doveroftke said:   
JW10 said:   I posted something similar when there was a Discovercard 5% cashback on groceries several months ago. Regional chain Hy-Vee is a legitimate grocery chain. In the same parking lot, they have convenience stores with automated pumps. I was unhappy when the automated gas pumps were not coded grocery. Turns out they are coded gas on Freedom Visa and Discover.
  
That's the proper coding. Even if it's co-located with the store, it's a gas pump.

  Yep, proper coding, but not a bad thing if you're looking for gas with a 5%-off-gas card.  I'll also add that Hy-Vee co-located pumps are in fact coded properly for the PenFed 5% Cashback VISA (for gas paid at the pump).  If not grandfathered, this card may require additional PenFed products, etc., etc. 

rated:
Agree with OP on problems with AMEX Blue Cash "Premium" card.  Yes they gave a nice promo, but since then there has been incorrect coding by them, and other issues. 

I have a few months before annual fee is charged.  Wonder whether others in FWF have successfully requested that this card be changed to the "no annual fee" version, which (as I understand) is basically the same but gives only 3% cashback on groceries?  Hate to give up the credit limit, even though it's not that old.

rated:
This sounds like a lot of bellyaching.

So, your gas station of choice doesn't code as "gas."  What does it code as?  Does that coding make sense?

AmEx (and Visa, Discover, and MasterCard) do not choose the coding.  The merchants do.  Is that the card issuer's fault?

How the rewards post is spelled out and well known.

rated:
sdskees said:   It drives me insane that they don't count Walmart Neighborhood Market as a grocery when everybody else does. I get that the regular Walmarts and even supercenters wouldn't count as grocery stores, but the fact that neighborhood Market wouldn't count as one when that is literally all they sell makes no sense.
 
In my experience, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets do count as grocery. Maybe your local one is mis-coded?

rated:
I went with the USAA Rewards Plus AMEX after Sallie Mae went poof. 5% on gas up to $3k/year and 2% on groceries up to $3k/year (though I mostly use Double Cash since it's the same).
It has properly coded my local stations including telling the difference between checkouts inside the Meijer (grocery) and pumps at the Meijer gas station. Doesn't qualify for Amex Offers website but Twitter offers should work.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017