• filter:

Seattle's land+build vs remodel for living & rental?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have a complex situation here looking for opinions and suggestions from Fatwalletians. My parents were divorced when we first moved to US from India. My father left us, took all assets& went with another woman. As only child, I supported a disabled mother until she’s independent. My mother had been on a Section 8 voucher with Seattle city for most of her life while collecting SSI $700/month. A decade later - during last summer, found out my father became homeless, 90% blindness. The only income he had was Social Security which is about $400/month. I been helping him pay rent for a studio $1100/month. My goals: to give opportunities for my parents to talk to each others again or befriended…. My savings: $50K. My monthly rent: $1500. Income: $50K/year. My pre-approved loan is $200K. I had asked for help. A few long best friends offered help in lending $$ to me. I can borrow up to $100K. A piece of land 8500 square feet from my aunt: dead-end vacant land with RS7200 zone (water, power, sewer on street). Scenario #1:----Buy outright the land (owner finance by my aunt). Build foundations, hookups, purchase 2 used manufactured homes(?) : 1 as main home, 1 as ADU? Rent both units to both of my parents.Scenario #2: ----Buy a bad home, remodel into a duplex to rent out to my parents? A broken down home $180K, unsure of remodel/teardown & build cost.Scenario #3: ----Buy a $30K manufactured home (with monthly rent $600) and rent out to my mother. While buy nextdoor or nearby $25K manufactured home (with monthly rent $600) and put by father in it.Scenario X Y Z?Please advise which is more reasonable or doable. Thank you so much.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
nothinker said:    My goals: to give opportunities for my parents to talk to each others again or befriended….

No matter how much you wish your parents to get together again, it ain't gonna happen, at least not on your terms. Have they communicated even the slightest desire to reconcile again?

rated:
I don't think buying property in Seattle is reasonable or doable with your savings, income, and available funds. At least one of those would need to increase by about 10x.

Are you saying you know a specific vacant lot that is zoned for residential construction that's in your price range?

rated:
Keep your mom in her section 8 housing.

Move your dad to somewhere cheaper like Spokane or Tri Cities. Or anywhere in WA, OR or ID.

Might he consider returning to India if he still has relatives there?

Forget buying or building anything in Seattle.

rated:
Also while I don't know the laws there specifically, I really doubt zoning will let you sit a used trailer on a lot in Seattle proper.

rated:
I'm just shocked there are 8500 empty lot in Seattle, my guess is that it's not any where near Seattle proper. Any scenario involving that lot AND your parents are just way over-complicated and they risk losing any assistance they are receiving.

Best thing you can do is would be to help them find subsidized housing closer together and if they wish to reconnect, they will have that option.

rated:
Kind as you are, I don't think you can afford housing for both of your parents as Section 8 will generally not pay rent to relatives.

rated:
Move to San Francisco. Its cheaper.

rated:
Thank you all, I tried everything to balance every means of life. I'm sure my parents willing to talk again. My mother willing to help cooking for my father if he is nearby. Father is suffered some changes in mental status, he doesn't recognize me as his child. Right now is too hard for me to cook him his food and look after him.

I heard section 8 willing to pay for in-laws. Is that true?

rated:
jerosen said:   Also while I don't know the laws there specifically, I really doubt zoning will let you sit a used trailer on a lot in Seattle proper.

second hand manufactured homes built after 1976 are allowed in Seattle, Olympia. Someone told me that law.

I just have problem with learning the costs.

rated:
nothinker said:   ...

What are you thinking about specifically?

Your parents are divorced. Who is the in law?

rated:
nothinker said:   I have a complex situation here looking for opinions and suggestions from Fatwalletians. My parents were divorced when we first moved to US from India. My father left us, took all assets& went with another woman. As only child, I supported a disabled mother until she’s independent. My mother had been on a Section 8 voucher with Seattle city for most of her life while collecting SSI $700/month. A decade later - during last summer, found out my father became homeless, 90% blindness. The only income he had was Social Security which is about $400/month. I been helping him pay rent for a studio $1100/month. My goals: to give opportunities for my parents to talk to each others again or befriended…. My savings: $50K. My monthly rent: $1500. Income: $50K/year. My pre-approved loan is $200K. I had asked for help. A few long best friends offered help in lending $$ to me. I can borrow up to $100K. A piece of land 8500 square feet from my aunt: dead-end vacant land with RS7200 zone (water, power, sewer on street). Scenario #1:----Buy outright the land (owner finance by my aunt). Build foundations, hookups, purchase 2 used manufactured homes(?) : 1 as main home, 1 as ADU? Rent both units to both of my parents.Scenario #2: ----Buy a bad home, remodel into a duplex to rent out to my parents? A broken down home $180K, unsure of remodel/teardown & build cost.Scenario #3: ----Buy a $30K manufactured home (with monthly rent $600) and rent out to my mother. While buy nextdoor or nearby $25K manufactured home (with monthly rent $600) and put by father in it.Scenario X Y Z?Please advise which is more reasonable or doable. Thank you so much.
Don't have much to offer, but wish you all the best in whichever option you choose. 

rated:
jerosen said:   
nothinker said:   ...

What are you thinking about specifically?

Your parents are divorced. Who is the in law?

My aunt (father's sister). Worst case, I can pour all my savings & get personal loan from friends to build or move manufactured units (x2) to her land then move my parents there. She still own the land. Section 8 will pays her portion as long as she let my father stays there for free. It's a family thing & in our culture, they willing to help up to a certain point. No, I don't worry about my aunt would kick out my parents.

We are looking for options.

rated:
nothinker said:   Thank you all, I tried everything to balance every means of life. I'm sure my parents willing to talk again. My mother willing to help cooking for my father if he is nearby. Father is suffered some changes in mental status, he doesn't recognize me as his child. Right now is too hard for me to cook him his food and look after him.

I don't want to be rough, but if your dad is 90% blind and not cognitive enough to remember his own kid, he really has no business living in a trailer on his own.  He really needs an assisted living facility.  Even if you don't consider that an option right now, don't spend too much effort on acquiring a home for him, because it's only going to be temporary until he can't live alone.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017