• filter:

Aldi gift card inquiry

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I acknowledge there have been issues with Aldi gift cards and certificates in the past.  I learned this by searching here on the net.  However, it appears Aldi might by now have cleaned up their act.  Here is the question:

As of right now, can I buy an Aldi gift card at the checkout register with a credit card?

I need to buy the Aldi gift card at the checkout register so I can be certain the right MCC coding attaches to the purchase.

With Chase Freedom 5% on groceries winding down now and ending on June 30, it would be nice to sock away some Aldi purchasing power if it is possible to do so.

Has anyone done this recently at Aldi?  

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They aren't cheap enough to get me to drive 60 miles out of my way (I shop there because it's only a muie further from t... (more)

elektronic (Jun. 12, 2017 @ 1:24p) |

Thanks for explaining that they aren't 'driving 60 miles' that cheap, as opposed to that they aren't 'really cheap compa... (more)

cows123 (Jun. 12, 2017 @ 3:43p) |

I'm curious if these stores that have closed for remodeling had big sales leading up.

mpattdu (Jun. 15, 2017 @ 10:20a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Try it and report back

rated:
shinobi1 said:   I acknowledge there have been issues with Aldi gift cards and certificates in the past.  I learned this by searching here on the net.  However, it appears Aldi might by now have cleaned up their act.  Here is the question:

As of right now, can I buy an Aldi gift card at the checkout register with a credit card?

I need to buy the Aldi gift card at the checkout register so I can be certain the right MCC coding attaches to the purchase.

With Chase Freedom 5% on groceries winding down now and ending on June 30, it would be nice to sock away some Aldi purchasing power if it is possible to do so.

I bought an Aldi gift card with a credit card in March. I received the 6% cash back on my Blue Cash Preferred before downgrading to the Blue Cash Everyday.

rated:
Duplicate. Nothing to see here. Why are you still reading?? Stop it!

rated:
Arfanbarkler said:   
shinobi1 said:   I acknowledge there have been issues with Aldi gift cards and certificates in the past.  I learned this by searching here on the net.  However, it appears Aldi might by now have cleaned up their act.  Here is the question:

With Chase Freedom 5% on groceries winding down now and ending on June 30, it would be nice to sock away some Aldi purchasing power if it is possible to do so.

I bought an Aldi gift card with a credit card in March. I received the 6% cash back on my Blue Cash Preferred before downgrading to the Blue Cash Everyday.

Thanks, much appreciated.  That is a help to know.

It's a 60 mile round trip right now for me to reach the nearest Aldi store;  not like I can walk around the corner and ask.  Still, I will likely be making that trip one time before the end of this month and I was trying to get some idea in advance where things stood.

Aldi right now has a massive, nationwide, store remodeling project underway.  My usual store is closed for remodeling.  That store is closer, but still a 40 mile round trip.

Of the three grocery stores I patronize, I've so far been able easily to buy needed gift cards at two, Wegmans and Tops.  Aldi remains, and I must act well before month's end to allow time for the charge to settle comfortably into my Chase Freedom account.  I remember as Sallie Mae went out, some of those who waited until the very end had issues.  Not gonna mess with that approach.

rated:
I may be super late, but when did Aldi start accepting credit cards?
I thought part of their business model was cash/ Debi only, by not paying CC fees, theyre able to charge "less"?

rated:
Within the last year. I think they have finally acknowledged to themselves American's addiction to spending on credit is worth the processing fees. 

rated:
agoogilydoogily said:   I may be super late, but when did Aldi start accepting credit cards?
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=57&threadid=1481821

ETA: Nationwide acceptance was announced in Feb. 28, 2016 weekly ad.

rated:
I tried to buy $250 late last year and the cashier could not get the machine to allow that dollar amount. I ended up with two purchases for $100 each. They coded as grocery for AMEX BCP.

rated:
byex0039 said:   I tried to buy $250 late last year and the cashier could not get the machine to allow that dollar amount. I ended up with two purchases for $100 each. They coded as grocery for AMEX BCP.

Thanks.  Again a help and I appreciate it.

You do allude to a subordinate issue;  at least this is a small thing in my view.  But still:

I think most FWF participants, when buying gift cards, buy in odd amounts as a matter of prudence.  This is what I do.  OK, sure, most likely unnecessary, but a purchase of $176.54 "looks" less like a gift card purchase than, for example, a purchase of an even $100.  Anyway, it costs nothing to buy in odd amounts so why not.

So when I was researching the Aldi gift cards I discovered that, in the past, Aldi was insisting everything be in even increments of $5;  no oddball amounts.  No other store I deal with does this.  You can purchase your gift card in any amount you wish.  I hope Aldi has cleaned up their act in this regard and will today allow the gift card purchaser to choose the amount of money that goes on the card, without unnecessary "even amount" restrictions.

ETA

OK, just to state the obvious:

I always buy my gift cards separate from other purchases;  this for a variety of reasons.  But if you do encounter a seller that will only allow gift cards to be bought in even amounts, you can just buy the gift card together with other stuff so that the total purchase amount is an odd amount.

rated:
I did that with another credit card issuers offer without issue, buying multiple $100 cards at once.  I didn't try a larger denomination.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
agoogilydoogily said:   I may be super late, but when did Aldi start accepting credit cards?
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=57&threadid=1481821

Late last year.

rated:
You have to buy cards in $5 increments. Maximum of $100 per gift card.

rated:
I always felt funny buying store cards for $x00.00, or Visa cards for $x05.95, so at the grocery I at least buy some bananas or a gallon of milk, and at OfficeMax I'd throw in a candy bar or something.

rated:
cows123 said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   agoogilydoogily said:   I may be super late, but when did Aldi start accepting credit cards?https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=57&threadid=1481821 Late last year.Why did you quote a link but not read it? The correct answer is early last year (referenced in the 2/28/16 ad).

rated:
Why do you shop at a store 30 miles away? The prices at Aldi aren't that cheap.

rated:
elektronic said:   Why do you shop at a store 30 miles away? The prices at Aldi aren't that cheap.

There are no stores at all nearby to where I live, just very lightly populated countryside.  Going to the store means making a trip.  So, believe me, you plan in advance very heavily, making every effort not to forget anything.  Aldi is not my #1 store for food.  But there are certain items I buy there.  And right now I also need to buy that Aldi gift card.  The closing for remodeling of my usual Aldi store, only 20 miles away, took me completely by surprise.  I did not know the store had closed.  I was like:  OMG!

rated:
Advice- call ahead. Our aldis is under remodeling- and will close for a month. So you dont want to waste a trip.

rated:
Be careful, Aldi added bogus items that I never touched to my receipt several times. I had to go back to dispute. Though resolved easily, I started matching the number of items in my cart to the receipt.

rated:
That's strange, I've never had additional items added and I've shopped there for years. Possibly a cashier issue?

rated:
elektronic said:   Why do you shop at a store 30 miles away? The prices at Aldi aren't that cheap.
  Aren't that cheap compared to what?  Picking the stuff the supermarket threw out in dumpster?

rated:
cows123 said:   elektronic said:   Why do you shop at a store 30 miles away? The prices at Aldi aren't that cheap.
  Aren't that cheap compared to what?  Picking the stuff the supermarket threw out in dumpster?

They aren't cheap enough to get me to drive 60 miles out of my way (I shop there because it's only a muie further from the other grocery stores in my area).

rated:
elektronic said:   
cows123 said:   

They aren't cheap enough to get me to drive 60 miles out of my way (I shop there because it's only a muie further from the other grocery stores in my area).

Thanks for explaining that they aren't 'driving 60 miles' that cheap, as opposed to that they aren't 'really cheap compared to other stores' that cheap.  I certainly agree with you.  In fact, to me, if it wasn't for the fact that Trader Joes, Whole Foods, a 'good' national brand supermarket, Costco, or anyone else that that sells things I really want to buy seem to be specifically excluding where I live, leaving inferior options, they would probably move down in my opinion.  

rated:
I'm curious if these stores that have closed for remodeling had big sales leading up.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017